Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teacher's Kids
wdmmom 11:12 AM 06-14-2011
How do any of you handle watching teachers kids?

I currently watch 1 DCB for a teacher. He only takes 9 weeks off in the summer so it's a 10 month contract.

Have any of you worked for a teacher? Do you make them pay while they are on summer break? Have you ever had a teachers child NOT come back in the fall?!

I have a 2 week security deposit and she says they'll return August 11th. What if they don't???
momma2girls 11:16 AM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
How do any of you handle watching teachers kids?

I currently watch 1 DCB for a teacher. He only takes 9 weeks off in the summer so it's a 10 month contract.

Have any of you worked for a teacher? Do you make them pay while they are on summer break? Have you ever had a teachers child NOT come back in the fall?!

I have a 2 week security deposit and she says they'll return August 11th. What if they don't???
I have all teachers. This is what I do- I have them pay 2 week deposit to h9old their spots during the summer.
As far as Spring/Winter breaks, if they keep their children home with them during these breaks, I will give them 1/2 off for the weeks.
wdmmom 11:20 AM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
I have all teachers. This is what I do- I have them pay 2 week deposit to h9old their spots during the summer.
As far as Spring/Winter breaks, if they keep their children home with them during these breaks, I will give them 1/2 off for the weeks.
That's the same that I do.

Have you ever not had a family come back in the fall that you expected to return?
momofsix 11:30 AM 06-14-2011
Four of my kids are teacher's kids. (2 famiies) One brings the kids 2 days/week through the summer, the other comes 1 day/week through the summer. They only pay for the times they are coming. I've had teacher families for the last 8 years and never had them not come back after summer.
kidkair 12:11 PM 06-14-2011
I have one teacher family now. I charge them 1/2 rate during school breaks when they keep their kid home and 1/4 rate (which is my general holding fee) through the summer weeks that the kid stays home.
sharlan 12:20 PM 06-14-2011
I've had several teacher's kids. I would drop 2 families for the summer and picked them back up in the fall. I liked (can we say LOVED) not having them around. The other family came 2 or 3 days a week for the summer and I charged them a daily rate. I didn't charge it, but 2 of the families paid during week long breaks.

I ended up with the one family because their former provider wouldn't work with them on the summers. She was FT only. Her loss was my gain, I loved the parents and the kids.
momma2girls 12:29 PM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
That's the same that I do.

Have you ever not had a family come back in the fall that you expected to return?
Yep, once even after the 2 week dep.
bice99 01:01 PM 06-14-2011
I was a teacher and now have several teacher families. They all pay half fees to hold their spots for the fall. As a courtesy, I allow each child to come for 1/5 of their normal hours during the summer. I pick the day/times based on what works best (of course I try to make it fit with what the fam needs, but sometimes I have too many babies to juggle). They pay me all of the fees on June 15th. Must give 1 month's notice if choosing not to return, so basically I get paid for the whole summer anyway. I had out a form that lets them choose to 1) keep current schedule/fees 2) hold the spot (see above) or 3) not pay and not be guaranteed a spot in the fall. #3 is how families that aren't a good fit can get out of my contract without hard feelings on either side.
AmandasFCC 01:08 PM 06-14-2011
I currently have 2 EA's kids. One will be working with her husband's plumbing company doing bookkeeping during the summer so I still have dcb, and the other is paying me $120/month during the summer to keep her space. Teachers I would have pay half fees for the summer, but in this case she doesn't get paid for the summer so I didn't feel right doing that to her ....
morgan24 01:21 PM 06-14-2011
In my area it's the norm not to charge teachers for the summers or for breaks. I have had quite a few teachers and just fill in the summers with older kids. It has always worked out and the few times I couldn't fill the spots was okay, sometimes a lighter load in the summer was just what I needed. In their contract it says they have to let me know by
August 1st if they were returning or not. That way I had a month to fill their space if they decided not to return.
lpperry 01:23 PM 06-14-2011
I have one. She comes part-time in the summer, but pays for a full-time spot. If someone was going to take the whole summer off, I would not be able to hold the spot and would have to fill the opening. Even if I didn't fill it by the end of the summer, I wouldn't give the spot back to the original because I would know that I would have the same thing happen the following summer. I just can't afford to let anyone take 2-3 months off even though I would love to.
MN Day Mom 01:38 PM 06-14-2011
I have two teacher families. For the summer I offer them 1/2 rate to hold their spots and they can have two contracted days for that 1/2 rate... each additional day is a 1/4 of their full time rate.

Both my teachers work part time in the summer...either teaching summer school or tutoring.
littlemommy 01:39 PM 06-14-2011
I have one who will be here PT thru Friday. She has been coming 2 hrs/day for the past week and has only been charged for the time she's here. I'm going to ask for a $100 deposit to hold her spot thru August. It will then be credited towards her first week back. As a teacher, she does not get paid over the summer so I would feel bad having her pay.
bice99 01:56 PM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I have one who will be here PT thru Friday. She has been coming 2 hrs/day for the past week and has only been charged for the time she's here. I'm going to ask for a $100 deposit to hold her spot thru August. It will then be credited towards her first week back. As a teacher, she does not get paid over the summer so I would feel bad having her pay.
Are you sure she doesn't get paid during the summer? Our teachers get 3 pay checks in June. Of course they don't get paid again until the 4th Friday in September so that was always a tough month when my DH and I were both teachers.
momma2girls 02:14 PM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by bice99:
Are you sure she doesn't get paid during the summer? Our teachers get 3 pay checks in June. Of course they don't get paid again until the 4th Friday in September so that was always a tough month when my DH and I were both teachers.
I think it depends if they are paid yr. round or just the school yr.
I think that each can decide to divide their salary equally throughout the entire yr.
bice99 02:25 PM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
I think it depends if they are paid yr. round or just the school yr.
I think that each can decide to divide their salary equally throughout the entire yr.
Ours used to have that option, but it cost the district more that do it so they switched everyone to 12 checks given out in 10 months years ago.
MissAnn 02:55 PM 06-14-2011
I was a teacher and now have several teacher families. They all pay half fees to hold their spots for the fall. As a courtesy, I allow each child to come for 1/5 of their normal hours during the summer. I pick the day/times based on what works best (of course I try to make it fit with what the fam needs, but sometimes I have too many babies to juggle). They pay me all of the fees on June 15th. Must give 1 month's notice if choosing not to return, so basically I get paid for the whole summer anyway. I had out a form that lets them choose to 1) keep current schedule/fees 2) hold the spot (see above) or 3) not pay and not be guaranteed a spot in the fall. #3 is how families that aren't a good fit can get out of my contract without hard feelings on either side.
This is exactly what I do. It's not just for teachers....but for anyone who needs extended time off. I also give everyone 1 free week (5 days).....I take 2 weeks off....in the summer without paying me.....Christmas they pay. So....now I don't have a "teacher" contract.....but one that is the same for everyone. They pay full price for fall and spring breaks.
MissAnn 02:59 PM 06-14-2011
Ours used to have that option, but it cost the district more that do it so they switched everyone to 12 checks given out in 10 months years ago.
So they are getting paid more during the shcool year....but still make the same as if they were paid full year. I'd charge at least 1/2 for the summer. They are getting a really good deal from you.....but you are left without pay for the summer.
Tags:provider children
Reply Up