Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Suggestions?
christinaskids 05:21 PM 08-17-2011
My son just turned one year old. I have about 8 kids per day and the younger ones include him, a year and a half old, and a 8 month old baby. My son follows me around ALL DAY and cries for my attention. If he sees or hears me, he is crying. Basically, the 8 month old does it now too. I get SO stressed out everyday. I try to keep them busy but I just don't know what to do about it because they are so young. Today, I was crying from it because I was so frustrated and had to call my hubby. When the older kids follow me around throwing fits, I sit them in the other room until they are done, but I doubt the babies would understand. Any suggestions on this? Hubby thinks I should put the little one in a part time daycare, but I would rather nip the behavior in the bud if its possible.
Abigail 05:42 PM 08-17-2011
How long have you done daycare? Do you have any new kids lately that may have helped him start his behavior?
nannyde 06:30 PM 08-17-2011
Eight kids is a lot of kids for one adult especially if one of them is the providers own infant.

Is there any way you can drastically cut your numbers down?
mac60 03:58 AM 08-18-2011
I would suggest getting those enclosed play areas, like the Little Playzones Sight and Sounds, or something similar, for those that are under 2, I would place them in these areas to play during their wake time. I have found that having the little ones in the same room as the toddlers/preschoolers help keep them under 2's entertained, yet safe because they are in the enclosed area. While it may take a few days for them to get used to this arrangement, it does work. I do not allow the little ones to crawl around freely on the floors, it is way too risky with a mixed age group of them getting stepped on or hurt. 8 children is a very manageable number for one provider, you just need to get into a routine and system that works for you.
Cat Herder 04:50 AM 08-18-2011
First you have to remember why you opened a daycare?

Are you meeting that?

You may need to set up separate areas for each age group.

I do it to prevent injuries, bullying and give them a "safe place" where they don't feel overwhelmed by all the over-stimulation of so many kids in such a small space.

It will take time for your son to adapt..humans don't naturally have litters for a reason...he is doing exactly what I would expect him to do.

I never had my kids as part of the daycare. I had advice before I started and knew I could not make it work. So don't feel alone in this.

I kept SA's only until mine were in school THEN transitioned to taking infants and toddlers.

Have you considered that if this does not work out? Don't give up, adapt.
christinaskids 08:22 AM 08-18-2011
We can legally have 12 children by ourselves in SD. Two under one and another two under two or four under two. I have thought about the play yards also but my house is too small to accommodate that right now but we are in the process of buying a new one. My son is whiney because he sees me taking care of other babies and he gets jealous. The other baby is just a screamer. He was kicked out of his old daycare because of his screaming but I gave him a chance and now I am pretty much friends with his mom so I would feel bad terming him. I just want to know a way to make them realize that if they follow me around screaming constantly, then they will not get a reward for it, but I figure they are too young to understand it yet. If an older child does that, then I sit them down a few feet from me and when they calm down, I will say, "are you calm now? What can I help you with now that you are calm?" and this only happens once or twice before they know a better way to get my attention. I give each child a lot of individual attention and holding but it never seems to be enough. I have been doing daycare for only 9 months to be home with my son.
Tags:provider - burnout risk, provider - crying, provider - own child, provider children, ratio - toddlers, ratio decrease, too many kids
Reply Up