Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Think Of A DCM That Makes No Effort To Get Her Baby Used To The Bottle...
crazydaycarelady 02:29 PM 09-17-2013
....and then acts disappointed in me that I can't get him (10mo) to take more than 4oz per day?

This is her 3rd baby. I told her months ago to get him used to the bottle.

This morning she was all "I hope he drinks more today!"

Also last week she claims he got a runny nose from here and slept horribly during the nights. Odd since he did not have a runny nose here during the day and no one else did either! BUT his sister goes to one school and his brother goes to another school, so they are exposed to around 550 other kids per day, but yep, he got it here!

I know this is passive-aggressive but on the baby notes today I commented that baby was fighting a bottle and a sippy and that he probably needed more exposure earlier.

I know it's a little snippy comment but it makes me feel better! LOL
lovemylife 03:25 PM 09-17-2013
Was he breast fed and just now moving to a bottle/sippy cup?
crazydaycarelady 03:33 PM 09-17-2013
He is breastfed and just started coming here. Still breastfed at home but I am supposed to figure out how to get it in him while he is here.
lovemylife 04:07 PM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
He is breastfed and just started coming here. Still breastfed at home but I am supposed to figure out how to get it in him while he is here.
Oh geeze! That's super tough. New environment, never been to daycare and going from being breast fed to using a bottle. That's a lot of change for a little baby! No wonder he isn't wanting to drink!
Cradle2crayons 04:18 PM 09-17-2013
I require all breastfed babies be nipple trained prior to starting here. And I require mom to prove it. Been there done that with moms claiming babies take the bottle PERFECT and I can't get them to do it no matter what.

Once mom proves the baby is nipple trained, if I have troubles here, I have mom bring one of her shirts and I wear it while feeding baby. That usually works out the kinks.
Angelsj 06:53 PM 09-17-2013
You could try finger feeding the baby.

Finger Feeding: Finger feeding with a nursing supplementer device can be used if your baby is having trouble latching on to the breast, or if you have extremely sore nipples that need a break from breastfeeding. With finger feeding, you attach the tube of the nursing supplementer to the tip of your finger instead of your nipple. Place your finger in the baby's mouth, and as the baby sucks on your finger, the feeding will be drawn from the supplementer into her mouth.
If mom doesn't want to train to bottle, ask her to supply one of these supplementers.
cheerfuldom 08:12 PM 09-17-2013
Its easier for moms to have a provider deal with this than to do the hard work to prep their child for daycare. It is HARD to get some breastfed babies to take a bottle and hearing your child cry for food when you are withholding the breast is really really hard. I am guessing mom did try but gave up. either way, it really isnt fair to you! like others said, mom should PROVE to you that her child is bottle trained. its a shame you have to make moms prove things and you cant believe what they say all the time.
MamaBear 08:55 PM 09-17-2013
I just started watching an 8 month old recently that is in this same boat. She is breastfed only and mom just kinda hopes I can train her on a bottle. She brought me 4 different types of bottles on her first day with a kinda "good luck" look to her... Well its been a couple weeks and it wasn't working...

Today we had a breakthrough though with a sippy cup! I was SO happy when she drank a few ounces from it today. Maybe that might help in your situation to try a sippy cup instead of a bottle?
blandino 09:16 PM 09-17-2013
I think that is very cruel (to both baby and mom) and lazy, IMHO.

NannyDE had a policy that mothers must give a bottle to a child before they can start daycare with her. She implemented that rule because a local provider became so frustrated with a baby that wouldn't eat that she shook the baby.

I wouldn't tolerate it. How dare a DCM put all that on you, when you are providing care for multiple children. Personally, if the baby were hungry and refusing the bottle but still screaming from hunger - I would call DCM to come feed him. A few times of leaving work, and I would bet she starts working on it at home.

She simply cannot leave you with an infant, who you cannot feed.
Maria2013 05:44 AM 09-18-2013
....and then acts disappointed in me that I can't get him (10mo) to take more than 4oz per day?

This is her 3rd baby. I told her months ago to get him used to the bottle.

This morning she was all "I hope he drinks more today!"

Also last week she claims he got a runny nose from here and slept horribly during the nights. Odd since he did not have a runny nose here during the day and no one else did either! BUT his sister goes to one school and his brother goes to another school, so they are exposed to around 550 other kids per day, but yep, he got it here!

I know this is passive-aggressive but on the baby notes today I commented that baby was fighting a bottle and a sippy and that he probably needed more exposure earlier.

I know it's a little snippy comment but it makes me feel better! LOL
I had a baby who refused the bottle for me yet mom claimed baby had no problem at home...then I found out from gma it wasn't the bottle baby didn't want but the fact that it wasn't filled with chocolate milk....I hope that's not the case
Rachel 06:31 AM 09-18-2013
The baby is 10 months old and I assume eating a wide variety of food. I would drop the bottle and offer expressed milk in a sippy cup or even just water. A 10 month old can go 9 hours without milk if s/he is eating fairly decently.
crazydaycarelady 07:01 AM 09-18-2013
I have tried a sippy cup and a tippy cup (just drips out) in addition to several kinds of bottles. He is on food so he is not starving but a baby his age should be getting more than 5oz over the course of a 9-10 hour day.

What really gets me is her comments like it's my fault he won't drink!
SilverSabre25 07:08 AM 09-18-2013
What do I think? That it's either a mother in search of child care or a child making a fast switch to water in a cup. Offer milk, then give water. child will make up the milk consumption in the evening/overnight. And if mom doesn't like that, "SEE YA! Don't let the door hit you on the way out..."
MNMum 07:16 AM 09-18-2013
I have tried a sippy cup and a tippy cup (just drips out) in addition to several kinds of bottles. He is on food so he is not starving but a baby his age should be getting more than 5oz over the course of a 9-10 hour day.

The issue I would have is the comment. I have watched babies that were horrible bottle/sippy takers. Honestly, it was nothing a mother did or didn't do. One was my own child. He took a bottle great early on, then refused when I went back to work at 4 mos. Another was a good friend of mine. Her baby was just that stubborn. In both cases the babies were happy while mothers were gone. They made up for it when mother returned.

I would tell mom you offered, he refused. When she says things like that, respond with, "Ya, I wish he would drink more while here as well, it would put my mind at ease."
TwinKristi 10:41 AM 09-18-2013

Baby may be making up for the missed feeding at home, so only taking 5oz along with other foods isn't a huge deal. Breastfed babies are typically able to make up for lost times in the evenings and at night. I have a friend who's baby wouldn't take a bottle at all and wouldn't have any milk all day and then marathon nurse after work and all night. That works for them! Babies that age are capable of going 10hrs at night without milk so 10hrs during the day isn't much different especially if getting other food.
Tags:parents - don't cooperate, transitioning - to bottle
Reply Up