Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Pay To My Kids Daycare Provider If We Are Going For A Vacation
fairymama 03:35 PM 01-16-2013
Hi all,

I send my two kids to a home based daycare, and we will be out of state for a period 4 weeks. I gave the daycare provider a two week notice and I spoke to her that i will immediately bring kids back after travel, but I feel that she will not keep the spots for them in case someone else is interested in bringing his kids to her, which means that both places are not reserved for my kids. She told me first day I came to her first come first serve!

I badly need that daycare ( I am studying and my exam in two month).
my question is how can i reserve the two spots? should i pay for the 4 weeks??
is it her right to enroll others?

I am trying to find a good solution for that, i don't think paying for that period is fair for me..
Please help me
daycare 03:51 PM 01-16-2013
Originally Posted by fairymama:
Hi all,

I send my two kids to a home based daycare, and we will be out of state for a period 4 weeks. I gave the daycare provider a two week notice and I spoke to her that i will immediately bring kids back after travel, but I feel that she will not keep the spots for them in case someone else is interested in bringing his kids to her, which means that both places are not reserved for my kids. She told me first day I came to her first come first serve!

I badly need that daycare ( I am studying and my exam in two month).
my question is how can i reserve the two spots? should i pay for the 4 weeks??
is it her right to enroll others?

I am trying to find a good solution for that, i don't think paying for that period is fair for me..
Please help me
what does your contract say??
Twinvillageiowa 03:51 PM 01-16-2013
Yes, you need to pay. Otherwise she will be out four weeks of income. A center would make you pay too. Unless you can find a place that is pay per hours used, you will have to pay for your spot.
daycare 04:04 PM 01-16-2013
well it depends on what the contract says...

I offer one week at half your weekly rate if you are going to take a vacation for 5 consecutive days.

you must also notify me at least 30days in advance if you wish to get the discount......

does this provider have a similar policy
fairymama 04:39 PM 01-16-2013
The Contract says nothing about this issue, and even the lady didn't ask me to pay.
daycare 04:43 PM 01-16-2013
The Contract says nothing about this issue, and even the lady didn't ask me to pay.
but what has she said about if you don't pay?? what will happen?
fairymama 04:47 PM 01-16-2013
Just said "call me 10 days before if you will bring them again to see if I have place available for them or not "
lovemykidstoo 04:49 PM 01-16-2013
I would just simply ask her what will it take to assure that you hold my 2 spots for me. Maybe she will make you give her a deposit ensuring that you're coming back, maybe she'll have you pay 1/2, maybe she'll ask you to pay full tuition. I would have you pay full tuiton. You say it's not fair that you should have to pay, but you're asking her to go without income that she relys on to live for a whole month and also hold your spots. i think that's asking alot. Simply ask her what she expects. Let us know, I would love to hear what she has to say.
Willow 04:53 PM 01-16-2013
Have you taken the time to consider what your inconvenience will do to HER income?

If you were told you were only going to be paid a fraction of your income for an entire month how would that impact your family and how willing would you be to just accept it?

Your family will be mia for an extended period of time, you don't want to pay to hold the spots (read - not just one but two) but want her not to fill it with anyone else....so what is she supposed to do?
fairymama 04:56 PM 01-16-2013
I will speak to her tomorrow!I don't want to lose her, I finally found someone I can trust.
lovemykidstoo 04:57 PM 01-16-2013
That's the best thing to do. You don't know what she's thinking unless you talk with her. Good luck and let us know.
AfterSchoolMom 06:41 PM 01-16-2013
If your contract doesn't specify, then yes, you should definitely just talk to her about it. Maybe she'll work with you on a rate, but it's very likely that she'll want you to pay as normal, so I wouldn't expect a discount. If you really like and trust this person, then it's worth it, right?

Providers shouldn't be expected to hold a spot for free...it'd be like your boss telling you to go home and not come back for a month.
Crazy8 07:16 PM 01-16-2013
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
If your contract doesn't specify, then yes, you should definitely just talk to her about it. Maybe she'll work with you on a rate, but it's very likely that she'll want you to pay as normal, so I wouldn't expect a discount. If you really like and trust this person, then it's worth it, right?

Providers shouldn't be expected to hold a spot for free...it'd be like your boss telling you to go home and not come back for a month.
exactly!! If you were working and your boss told you he didn't need you for a month but you needed the income you would go out and get a new job. Your daycare provider needs to do the same.

I am really surprised your contract doesn't cover vacations or leave of absences, etc. I would let her know you trust and value her services and would like to know what arrangements you need to make to ensure your 2 spots are there when you return. For me personally, I require half payment for the time they are out but I also have an initial deposit that would help to "cover" me if they chose not to come back.
Meeko 07:49 PM 01-16-2013
Imagine your employer not only telling you he is sending you home without pay for a month.....but that he also doesn't want you to look for other work to make enough money to cover your bills in the meantime. He just wants you to sit around until HE is ready for you to come back to work.

Sound fair?
Crazy In Mo 07:51 PM 01-16-2013
If you don't want to lose her then I would for sure pay her
youretooloud 08:01 PM 01-16-2013
It's hard to think about, but if I had a parent tell me that, I'd probably try to fill the spots also. I still have to pay my bills. I assume you still have to pay your rent or mortgage in order to keep your home?

If you choose even pay on your electric bill, they bill you the same amount for 12 months. But, if you aren't home for one month, you will still pay a payment that month. Even though you didn't use electricity.

If you have your children in private school, you pay a tuition based on the school year. If you remove your kids for one month, you will still pay the tuition.

It sounds like you guys have a good working relationship, so I bet you can figure this out, and both of you will be happy with the outcome.
jenny31052 08:44 PM 01-16-2013
If the family give me enough notice (more than 2 weeks) I ask them to pay me a $50 holding fee for each week they will be absent; if they give me notice less than two weeks in advance I require full payment.
During that time, I usually open a temporary slot, or I take drop-ins...
DaisyMamma 06:19 AM 01-17-2013
I personally require tuition 52 weeks per year.

If I didn't and a family with 2 kids only gave me 2 weeks notice that they were leaving for 4 weeks I would be pretty upset and I would certainly try to fill those spots ASAP! That's a huge amount of income loss for an entire month.
You should consider paying her in full for the 4 weeks. She will greatly appreciate it and then you have nothing to worry about!
My3cents 09:43 AM 01-17-2013
I will speak to her tomorrow!I don't want to lose her, I finally found someone I can trust.
Then pay her and let her know she is appreciated. Don't make her wonder if she is going to be payed or not, open communication is best. Pay her and tell her you will see her in a few weeks, and thank her for doing a good job with your children.

I love all my kids, but when I have parents that care and respect and appreciate all that I do, it makes me want to be a better provider to the family. I think this is natural with all jobs. Very few perks to daycare- if you have the opportunity to treat your provider well, go for it. What bad can come out of that-

Look at your contract, no contract you need to open up some communication so that you know what is expected

best
My3cents 09:47 AM 01-17-2013
Please help me
yikes, I don't think it is fair to expect your provider to go with out income for four weeks- yes pay her, and do it cheerfully. Your provider is there no matter if you choose to use her or not. If you do a drop in rate that is different, but then you can't expect her to hold the spot either. You like her, show that you value her services and pay her

best-

DCMom 01:17 PM 01-17-2013
In my policies it states:

"Terms for maternity leaves and other extended absences are considered on a case by case basis. Terms will be negotiated and agreed upon in writing by parent and provider no later than 30 days prior to the start of the leave."

Just talk to your provider, good communication is the key to a good relationship. You don't know what she is thinking as she doesn't know what you are thinking. I personally would probably agree to 50% rate to hold the spots, but I can afford to do that. Most providers cannot afford to, but you won't know until you have the conversation.
daycare 01:27 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
yikes, I don't think it is fair to expect your provider to go with out income for four weeks- yes pay her, and do it cheerfully. Your provider is there no matter if you choose to use her or not. If you do a drop in rate that is different, but then you can't expect her to hold the spot either. You like her, show that you value her services and pay her

best-
I once had a family that was going to be gone for 6 weeks and did not want to pay me anything for that time that they were gone. I said no problem, you don't have to pay me, but I cannot guarantee your spot for your child when they return.

they did not pay and left for vacation.

I filled the spot 2 days later.

Family comes back and shows up on monday. I have to tell them sorry, your spot has been filled and I currently do not have any openings. Would you like to go on a wait list?

the dcm was soooooooo mad... BUT she knew the chance she was taking. So on with the story......DCM had to end up taking 3 weeks off of work UNPAID so that she could find another child care for her kid. She called me in the mean time and tried to work things out, they ended up on my waiting list as a drop in. I charge $12.50 an hour drop in rate. So her daily rate was $118.75 every time he was able to come.....

in the end, it bit her in the BUTT..... her child eventually got his spot back here and guess what he's still here. AND this past summer when they went on vacation for 6 weeks, they handed me CASH before they left....

It's your call, but I think that if you don't pay you are sending your DCP a message that they are not that important to you. That is how I felt....
Tags:paid vacations
Reply Up