Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Deaths - 2 Mothers - 2 Weeks - A Story of COVID
Michael 02:54 PM 02-11-2021
I haven't been on the forum much the last two weeks. My mother died 2 Sundays ago and my mother in-law died today.

I missed my mother's passing while flying down to Florida to say goodbye. Likewise, our flight back to Florida for my wife's mother was tomorrow. She likewise passed before we could get to her. They are so many similarities that come to mind in that they passed in the 80's in such short order.

It begs the question, why? But, while their situation seems very similar, there are many differences in what COVID has resulted in this past 12 months. While not trying to make this political, their deaths were very much influenced by politics and COVID. One was a very fearful of the virus, where she isolated herself from personal contact with friends and family. Over time her body and mind atrophied. The other, lived life as though there was no pandemic but wore masks and sanitized if required.

My mother did not have her lung cancer treated and eventually succumbed to her cancer. She was, in the end, COVID-free. My mother in-law had preconditions but had friends and family over for the past year with hardly a restriction. Both her and her husband tested positive for the virus a few weeks ago. Her husband had no symptoms but she came down with double pneumonia and was hospitalized.

Both mothers died within a week from complications. One, from the fear of COVID and the other, because of COVID. In the end it didn't matter who's to blame or how it could have been prevented. Death affects all of those involved no matter the politics.
Rockgirl 02:59 PM 02-11-2021
I’m so very sorry, Michael.
Annalee 03:03 PM 02-11-2021
So sorry! Prayers for your family!
Former Teacher 05:02 PM 02-11-2021
I am so sorry
Valerie928 06:20 PM 02-11-2021
Oh Michael, I am very deeply sorry. My father had covid over Christmas and was on a ventilator. He pulled through but in my opinion, will never be the same. There is no right or wrong with this virus as far as the elderly are concerned. I support them whether they choose to live their lives like normal or if they choose to isolate. Again, I am very sorry for your losses.
e.j. 07:24 PM 02-11-2021
I'm sorry for your loss, Michael.
Baby Beluga 08:30 PM 02-11-2021
I am so sorry for yours and your family's loss, Michael.
Josiegirl 02:35 AM 02-12-2021
I'm so very sorry for your family's losses! So much sadness in such a short time.
Thoughts and prayers of healing to you and your loved ones.
284878 03:12 AM 02-12-2021
Sorry for your losses and thank you for sharing.
Cat Herder 04:28 AM 02-12-2021
I am so sorry. That is a lot to think about and really hits home.
littlefriends 09:12 AM 02-12-2021
I wish there was something I could do for you. Losing parents is one of the hardest things to experience. This virus is just beyond awful.
Snowmom 09:31 AM 02-12-2021
I'm so sorry Michael. My condolences to you and your wife.

I'm sure we're all up for whatever you need or decide to do with the site. Please let us know if we can help in any way.
DaveA 09:39 AM 02-12-2021
Sorry for your loss Michael. You your family will be in our prayers.
MOM OF 4 LOGGED OUT 10:42 AM 02-12-2021
im so sorry
momofsix 10:59 AM 02-12-2021
I'm so sorry. How hard to loose two mothers at the same time. I can't even imagine.
Jo123ABC 12:24 AM 02-13-2021
I'm so sorry for your loss!
Gemma 01:46 PM 02-13-2021
I'm sorry for your loss, Michael
Pandaluver21 03:06 PM 02-13-2021
I can't even imagine.
Second Home 11:34 AM 02-15-2021
I'm so sorry for your losses
grandmom 02:41 PM 02-16-2021
Oh Michael, I can't imagine.

How shall we live? How shall we die?
Ariana 03:57 PM 02-17-2021
I am so sorry Michael . Death seems to be all around us now and so many people in my widow support group have spouses who died of Covid. It is heart breaking.
KiwiKids 10:58 AM 02-20-2021
I am so incredibly sorry.
MyAngels 09:17 AM 02-21-2021
I'm so sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. My mom is 84 and I can't even think about losing her.
Luna 03:44 PM 02-21-2021
I’m so sorry for your losses. My deepest condolences to you and your family.
buddie65 09:21 AM 03-02-2021
So sorry for your losses
Michael 03:02 PM 03-02-2021
Thank you all. I wanted to share with you something I took the time to do about five years before my two mothers passed. I set up a camera and interviewed them both at their homes. I asked them questions about their lives, families and relatives. This was at a time when they were healthier and livelier. I know both of these mothers in the last few months did not want their families to see them in the deteriorating conditions they were in. They wanted to be remembered I a more positive manner. I noticed this with my father also when he passed 20 years ago.

I played my wife her mother’s video today, from five years ago and she thought it was priceless. Her sisters likewise are anxious see the video. It’s something they will always cherish and have for their children and grandchildren. While it may be some bit of a nuisance to get parents to agree to doing the video, I always find that it becomes priceless in later years.
Annalee 04:08 PM 03-02-2021
Originally Posted by Michael:
Thank you all. I wanted to share with you something I took the time to do about five years before my two mothers passed. I set up a camera and interviewed them both at their homes. I asked them questions about their lives, families and relatives. This was at a time when they were healthier and livelier. I know both of these mothers in the last few months did not want their families to see them in the deteriorating conditions they were in. They wanted to be remembered I a more positive manner. I noticed this with my father also when he passed 20 years ago.

I played my wife her mother’s video today, from five years ago and she thought it was priceless. Her sisters likewise are anxious see the video. It’s something they will always cherish and have for their children and grandchildren. While it may be some bit of a nuisance to get parents to agree to doing the video, I always find that it becomes priceless in later years.
I love this idea! I wish we had done this with my dad.
Josiegirl 02:04 AM 03-03-2021
What a beautiful idea Michael; there are so many things I wish I'd asked my parents before they died. If I only had it to do over again......
I'm glad you have those happier memories to share with your family.
We did make VHS tapes of family holidays and such from many years ago but they're so old, I'm not sure they're any good now plus VHS is pretty outdated.
Ariana 08:07 AM 03-03-2021
Originally Posted by Michael:

Such a wonderful idea! With my husband sudden death all I have are random videos where mainly our kids are the main focus. It would have been so nice to have something like this for our children. As they grow older their memories of him will likely fade which is a big fear of mine as he was an amazing father and person.
284878 09:22 AM 03-03-2021
My late bil attempt to do this for his son, but the chemo treatment got the better of him and he just never had the energy.
I never thought about doing this with my parents, they both are 79.
284878 09:23 AM 03-03-2021
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Such a wonderful idea! With my husband sudden death all I have are random videos where mainly our kids are the main focus. It would have been so nice to have something like this for our children. As they grow older their memories of him will likely fade which is a big fear of mine as he was an amazing father and person.

Tags:covid-19 - positive, death, death - family member
Reply Up