Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It's -4 Outside But.....
coolconfidentme 04:48 AM 01-24-2014
....I didn't have to go out & face the cold! That's one of many things I am grateful for. I also get to wear Cookie Monster slippers to work if I want.

We all know & feel how stressful DC can be. Let's throw some good energy on it & post what makes it worth it!
Maria2013 04:54 AM 01-24-2014
oh as much as I hate this cold, I love NOT having to go out and drag 6 kids in it

I have no issues with this job other than "some" Licensing regulations....but the hugs and kisses make it all worth it
Patches 04:59 AM 01-24-2014
I love being able to roll out of bed 10 minutes before I start work.
Maria2013 05:04 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Patches:
I love being able to roll out of bed 10 minutes before I start work.
I wouldn't even be awake enough to find the front door
dave4him 05:07 AM 01-24-2014
And they still want to go out and play! um no.
Play Care 05:49 AM 01-24-2014
I agree, I love not having to head out in the cold. Or drive in the snow. I love that I am in control (for the most part! ) of how the day will go. I love when the kids come running in saying "MRS K!!!!!" and give me a hug. I joke that everyone should greet me in the same fashion.

On a personal note, I love that I can take advantage of natural lulls in the day to toss in a load of laundry or get dinner started. Not having to spend the weekends catching up like most working parents is a nice perk
Msdunny 05:53 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I agree, I love not having to head out in the cold. Or drive in the snow. I love that I am in control (for the most part! ) of how the day will go. I love when the kids come running in saying "MRS K!!!!!" and give me a hug. I joke that everyone should greet me in the same fashion.

On a personal note, I love that I can take advantage of natural lulls in the day to toss in a load of laundry or get dinner started. Not having to spend the weekends catching up like most working parents is a nice perk

All this! . And I get to hang out with my own kids during the day! They are teenagers who won't be around too many more years for all-day (sort of!) interaction like I have now, so I am savoring it.
Play Care 05:58 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Msdunny:

All this! . And I get to hang out with my own kids during the day! They are teenagers who won't be around too many more years for all-day (sort of!) interaction like I have now, so I am savoring it.
I completely forgot about my main perks - every day, my kids get off the bus and come HOME. I get to give them their snack and ask about their day while it's still fresh. When they have the day off of school, or are sick, there is no panic about who's going to stay home, how we are going to manage, etc. DH has been able to bank his sick time, which if things go well, he'll get paid out at retirement. If things don't go well and he gets seriously ill, he's got loads of paid time.
Josiegirl 10:23 AM 01-24-2014
Yesterday a.m. a dcm said it was -20 according to her thermometer. I felt so bad for all of them having to drag their little ones out of a nice warm bed to go outside. No wonder it's been a grumpy week. I'm thankful I get to make them laugh while they're here though. Some of them that is.

Also, if I didn't operate a daycare, I wouldn't have been looking for a forum dealing with children's issues and would've never found this great group!

I love being able to watch the birds and squirrels at the feeders and love when the kids are amazed by it too.
melilley 10:34 AM 01-24-2014
I love that I don't have to go outside or drag my child outside too.

Plus I love that I don't have to take my 1 yo ds anywhere else and he can be here with me everyday and my 10 yo dd can get off the bus and come right home.
coolconfidentme 10:34 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:

Also, if I didn't operate a daycare, I wouldn't have been looking for a forum dealing with children's issues and would've never found this great group!

nd squirrels at the feeders and love when the kids are amazed by it too.

TaylorTots 10:35 AM 01-24-2014
Slippers? Man, I rarely wear socks

I did visualize you in Cookie Monster slippers and all the kids in Oscar the Grouch slippers when someone mentioned it being a grumpy week
coolconfidentme 10:40 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
Slippers? Man, I rarely wear socks

I did visualize you in Cookie Monster slippers and all the kids in Oscar the Grouch slippers when someone mentioned it being a grumpy week
: The parents think I go outta my way to make it fun for the kids cause I wore a matching Cookie Monster shirt. If they only knew it took me 20 seconds to get ready..., with my eyes half closed.
TaylorTots 01:04 PM 01-24-2014
I do find it amazing how much I can get done in 5-10 minutes before my first dcp arrives. It takes me 30-45 minutes to do it at night.... today I made DH and DS's lunches, made DH coffee, prepared the infants' breakfast, vacuumed the living room and entry way, swept the kitchen and hall, wiped the kitchen table clean again and still managed to get the dishwasher half loaded before the first parent arrived.

Dude, half awake I rock.
Blackcat31 01:23 PM 01-24-2014
I actually LOVE that I get to go somewhere else and do this job.

My furniture has NO snot or icky body fluids on it
My windows are fingerprint free
My trash does NOT smell like dirty diapers
My living room does not have a myriad of developmentally appropriate toys strewn about
My book shelf only has books without pictures
My TV has never been tuned into Nick Jr or Disney channel
My toilet does not cringe everytime a 2.5 foot preschool aged boy steps near it
My front door is not open and closed a million times a day
My cats don't "hide" in the other rooms all day waiting for the kids to leave
My cupboards do not contain Goldfish crackers or any type of sippy cup
My dishes do not have any characters on them
My weekends, evenings and vacations days do not happen at my "work"
My cleaning products aren't kept up high or in a locked cabinet
My kitchen cabinets don't have child safety locks on them
My clean house looks the exact same way at the end of the day as it did when I went to work this morning

.....I could go on and on but....
melilley 01:30 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

My living room does not have a myriad of developmentally appropriate toys strewn about
My clean house looks the exact same way at the end of the day as it did when I went to work this morning

Go ahead, brag on, brag on!
I can't do that here.

One can dream can't she?!
Sunshine74 08:41 PM 01-24-2014

And here I was starting to get (very) jealous. Thanks for bringing me back down to earth.
Unregistered 10:25 PM 01-24-2014

Even though I work at my house, my preschool room is set up seperate so the only difference in your list and mine is I do have cleaning products locked but would do that anyway!

So I am still able to do childcare but not have it look that way- I love being able to do a quick pick up in the mornings and have it look that way in the evenings because no one is in the main part of the house during the day.
Play Care 04:40 AM 01-25-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Even though I work at my house, my preschool room is set up seperate so the only difference in your list and mine is I do have cleaning products locked but would do that anyway!

So I am still able to do childcare but not have it look that way- I love being able to do a quick pick up in the mornings and have it look that way in the evenings because no one is in the main part of the house during the day.
This is us as well. Plus I get tax deductions for home improvements we would do anyway and "regular" people don't.

A friend of mine thought she would do something else when her kids were older and no longer dc age, but she loved the fact that when they were teens, they came home to a house with an adult in it (studies show Tweens/ teens get into the most trouble in these few unsupervised hours after school) and because once kids hit 12 they no longer count in her ratio, her kids could be the ones having their friends over to their home to do projects, homework, etc.
Tags:cold weather
Reply Up