Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Couch Woes
MissAnn 11:33 AM 02-02-2016
Has anyone made the couch off limits? Mine run to leap on it. I can't blame them, it's a big couch and hard to climb on. So many close call head bangings and almost rolling off. It's sad because I feel home childcare should be have the comforts of a home......but some one is going to get hurt.
Thriftylady 11:35 AM 02-02-2016
Currently I don't have it that way but have before. DH and I are in the market for a new reclining couch or loveseat for us and it will be off limits. The other one they will still be allowed on. But when mine don't sit on it right, they loose it for the day.
Second Home 11:35 AM 02-02-2016
I have a no couch rule for most of the dck . Only a few of the school age kids sit on the couch because I know they are not going to fool around and hurt themselves or someone else . But if they do fool around then they have to sit on the floor like everyone else.
MissAnn 11:43 AM 02-02-2016
Thank you! My kids aren't even being wild....it's just such a big couch my husband insisted on. I am not quite 5'2" and I have to sit sideways. It's only the 2nd new couch we've ever bought on 32 years of being married. I hate it.
MunchkinWrangler 11:47 AM 02-02-2016
My son is the instigator. But, yes, once the couch starts getting jumped on, being stood on, and they start running into it for fun, no more couch. Sigh...
Rockgirl 12:01 PM 02-02-2016
If they sit nicely, they are allowed on the playroom couch. We spend the first hour or so of the day in my living room...I have been allowing them to sit nicely on my furniture, but we just ordered new, and they will not be allowed on it at all.
DaveA 12:28 PM 02-02-2016
They can set on the couches and 1 they can stand on and lean on the back to look out the window (it looks into the chicken/duck pen). Any bouncing or jumping around and they are off them for the day. Really don't have a problem with it.
e.j. 02:02 PM 02-02-2016
When I first started doing day care, I allowed the kids to sit and nap on my couch. After a couple of kids had pee and poop accidents on it, though, I stopped allowing it.
Unregistered 03:26 PM 02-02-2016
No, never kids on the couch! I have a large addition for child care, so the kids are not in my living room. But years ago I let the kids watch TV in the living room and they sat on little chairs or on the floor. That furniture lasted 15 or more years, was in great condition and I only got rid of it because I wanted a new style!

I now have grandkids and they want to walk on the furniture/jump...nope, no way! They are reminded before they even enter the room. They aren't allowed to do it a home either!
lovemydaycare0912 05:15 PM 02-02-2016
All my dcks are age 2 and under. I only have a futon like couch in my living room because the entire area of that and the dining room is for the kids. However, I do not let them sit on it unless parents are about to pick up. At such a young age they sometimes don't understand that they are not allowed to stand and jump on it.

This may change when we expand and have older children.
nannyde 06:03 PM 02-02-2016
No kids on couch. Too far of a fall zone.for me
AmyKidsCo 06:07 PM 02-02-2016
I started out letting them on the couch, then several years ago the couch was off limits, then all the living room furniture (we only used the L.R. for TV and infant naps) and for the past few years the whole L.R. has been off-limits except for infant naps/swings (we don't watch TV anymore).

I have kid couches in the reading nook so they've got someplace soft to curl up.
Josiegirl 02:19 AM 02-03-2016
If they start fooling around on it they lose it for the day. I don't have the energy to keep patrolling it and make sure no one gets on it; it's in my living room and is one of 3 main rooms used for dc.

But you know what I've noticed?? They don't make furniture the way they used to. We had a couch all through my childhood, sturdiest dang thing and we were not respectful kids to furniture. I don't remember my parents ever telling us to stop but we'd use the arms for pretend horses. Anyways, that thing must've lasted 25 years before my parents ever bought the next one and there was still no wear and tear on it. I bought a Bassett sofa maybe 4 years ago and all the seams are ripping apart, the sewn in pillows are coming unsewn. For the $$$ I spent it IS the worst purchase I ever made! And that is after I had to return the other one I had bought(same store!! Same brand!! But different material)when it had started fraying apart within a month. And being a new couch we did not abuse it at all.
Play Care 03:07 AM 02-03-2016
I no longer allow it.

The current crew has a couple of "jumpers" and the older kids fight over spots
In addition I got tired of wiping snot trails and boogers off my couch.

Several years ago my neighbors daughter fell off a couch at day care and broke her collarbone. Parents LOVED the day care and felt it was just an accident (child was 4 and able to say exactly what happened). However the ensuing State investigation was so difficult that even though they were cleared they had had enough, and decided to close their doors after nearly 20 years. While I hate to constantly be the "NO" lady, there is precedent here for being more cautious.
MissAnn 10:07 AM 02-03-2016
Thanks everyone! Today has been no couch day and it worked out just fine.
Reply Up