Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sudden Slow Eater
CountryRoads 02:28 PM 01-16-2020
Dcb3.5 has recently started to become the slowest eater ever.

It will take him 45 minutes to finish a small snack. I literally have to remind him every 10 seconds to eat. He takes the tiniest bites and then takes forever to chew and swallow. At lunch yesterday, he was eating one noodle at a time. I had to spoon feed him to get him to eat more, and even then it took him a long time to chew and swallow.

I don't think it's because he doesn't like the food since he's been doing it with every meal/snack. I turn off any music/TV during meal time so there's no distractions.

It's very frustrating and I can't allow him to take an hour per meal to eat. We have things to do

Is it wrong to take away his plate when lunch/snack time is over?
Cat Herder 02:41 PM 01-16-2020
Nope, not wrong at all. I have two almost 3-year-olds who have suddenly started doing the same. Three bites to a cheerio. To delay the transition to handwashing, potty and outside.

I give them the allotted time then place the two-minute sand timer on the table. They know when the sand is gone, they go to the handwashing sink. They miraculously finish their meals in those two minutes, BTW.
jenboo 03:52 PM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Nope, not wrong at all. I have two almost 3-year-olds who have suddenly started doing the same. Three bites to a cheerio. To delay the transition to handwashing, potty and outside.

I give them the allotted time then place the two-minute sand timer on the table. They know when the sand is gone, they go to the handwashing sink. They miraculously finish their meals in those two minutes, BTW.
I was going to recommend a sand time. I LOVE them! They are such an awesome visual for younger kids.
Cat Herder 03:14 AM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I was going to recommend a sand time. I LOVE them! They are such an awesome visual for younger kids.
Bonus: You can also use it to time the bleach solution spray before wiping the table for a point on your QRIS scorecard.
jenboo 05:33 AM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Bonus: You can also use it to time the bleach solution spray before wiping the table for a point on your QRIS scorecard.

Ariana 05:45 AM 01-17-2020
I have a kid like this as well. She gets served first and I give her an extra five minutes, then I take away her plate. I warn her first!
Tags:transitions
Reply Up