Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lunch and Nap Schedule
jenboo 01:26 PM 01-15-2020
Im thinking of possibly tweaking things and would like to hear what works for you.
For those who have kids approx 12-24 months, what time is lunch and nap.

Im currently doing lunch at 1130 and nap at 1230. Most kids sleep 3 hrs.

Im wondering if I should have lunch at 11 and nap 12-3pm. Ive been noticing some heavy eyes at lunch...
Bluemoon5 02:10 PM 01-15-2020
I have 12-18 month olds. We eat lunch around 12:15 and nap 1-3. I'm at a center so I don't really have much freedom to change things around. If I did, I would probably choose to eat and nap slightly earlier. We have several kids who get tired before lunch, then don't eat lunch because they are so tired, then wake up early from nap because they're hungry. A vicious cycle. Also, when kids first start some have a hard time giving up their morning naps. I'd love to have more flexibility in scheduling.

On a side note, I would LOVE if my kids slept 3 hours. Some of my groups used to, but this current group Doesn't. Sleep. Ever.
Cat Herder 03:02 PM 01-15-2020
I have 14-30 months, currently.

I do lunch at 12:00, then the playground until 12:50 (allows them to burn off calories/have bm before nap ), clean up/diapers, with nap from 1:00-3:00 waking naturally.

Breakfast is at 8:00, morning snack at 10:00, so lunch any earlier would be too soon, here. If anyone needed an earlier nap, they can lay down after morning snack for up to an hour, easily.
springv 03:20 PM 01-15-2020
We do nap/rest time from 12-2pm. The younger children get laid down at 11:30 and get up at 1:30
Ariana 05:19 PM 01-15-2020
I have 5 kids aged 14 months to 2.5 yrs. I do lunch at 12, naps around 12:30 - 3pm to give everyone a solid 2 hours if needed.

I am definitely finding many of them are ready earlier than that for nap and have also thought about moving the lunch and nap earlier.
jenboo 02:28 AM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by Bluemoon5:
I have 12-18 month olds. We eat lunch around 12:15 and nap 1-3. I'm at a center so I don't really have much freedom to change things around. If I did, I would probably choose to eat and nap slightly earlier. We have several kids who get tired before lunch, then don't eat lunch because they are so tired, then wake up early from nap because they're hungry. A vicious cycle. Also, when kids first start some have a hard time giving up their morning naps. I'd love to have more flexibility in scheduling.

On a side note, I would LOVE if my kids slept 3 hours. Some of my groups used to, but this current group Doesn't. Sleep. Ever.
Poor kiddos. Sounds like a hot mess!
jenboo 02:30 AM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have 14-30 months, currently.

I do lunch at 12:00, then the playground until 12:50 (allows them to burn off calories/have bm before nap ), clean up/diapers, with nap from 1:00-3:00 waking naturally.

Breakfast is at 8:00, morning snack at 10:00, so lunch any earlier would be too soon, here. If anyone needed an earlier nap, they can lay down after morning snack for up to an hour, easily.
I dont do a morning snack. I also find that if I give the toddlers a quick morning nap,, they don't sleep well in the afternoon and start crashing before pick up.
jenboo 02:31 AM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
We do nap/rest time from 12-2pm. The younger children get laid down at 11:30 and get up at 1:30
Do they have issues making it to pick up without getting overtired?
jenboo 02:32 AM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have 5 kids aged 14 months to 2.5 yrs. I do lunch at 12, naps around 12:30 - 3pm to give everyone a solid 2 hours if needed.

I am definitely finding many of them are ready earlier than that for nap and have also thought about moving the lunch and nap earlier.
I have one who is falling sleep at lunch most days. If I let her sleep at all in the morning, she doesn't take the long afternoon nap age needs and is miserable in the evening.
Msdunny 03:53 AM 01-16-2020
I do lunch between 11 and 11:30 - it usually depends on how playtime is going and if I seem to have hungry kids. I don't do a morning snack because I found they wouldn't eat their lunches, no matter how late I moved it. We then lay down for naps at 12:30 and sleep until 3.
CountryRoads 05:29 AM 01-16-2020
We are sitting down and eating lunch by 11:15 then down for nap by 12:00.

All my kids sleep until at least 2:30. I start turning on lights at 2:45 to wake up any kids that are still asleep and we have snack at 3:00.
Jupadia 07:14 AM 01-16-2020
My kids are all 12 months to almost years. We do am snack at 9am, lunch at 1130am afternoon snack at 3pm. Exception being at 330 if so some reason I do school pick up, its only my kids so 90% of time my in laws pick them up and drop off. The kids nap at about 12 for 2 hours.

I use to do 12 for lunch but a couple years back changed it when my son started school, that way when I have to do pick up everyone's awake and we can get to school on time at 3pm for dismissal. The extra time also helps if I have a kid who sleeps a bit more or for snow suites during winter.
Valerie928 07:32 AM 01-16-2020
I have all 3 and under. Lunch is a 12 and nap is 1-3. I won't nap them any longer when they are over 18 months here because majority of my parents try to put their kids to bed way too early because they don't want to parent.
flying_babyb 05:35 PM 01-16-2020
Center here: Our schedule is as fallows
Breakfast 9
diapers 10
On a good day we may be able to sneak in some art
outside 1030
lunch 11
1130-1150 diaper check, going down for that well needed nap
230 Dinner (yep a full dinner, just like lunch)
300 diaper check (cause ours ALL poop like clockwork the minute the meal is done.)
330 structured teacher led activities
400 Outside again (if its not pitch black out)
430 Diapers
5 music, momvement, other infant class gets sent to my room and i spend the next half hour saying "N DONT CLIMB THAT. Go climb the climber. Get off that chair. NO you cant bite the babies toe!"
530 Snack so I can clean the room, animal crackers or goldfish
6- Peace at last the kids go home.
Msdunny 05:57 AM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
Center here: Our schedule is as fallows
Breakfast 9
diapers 10
On a good day we may be able to sneak in some art
outside 1030
lunch 11
1130-1150 diaper check, going down for that well needed nap
230 Dinner (yep a full dinner, just like lunch)
300 diaper check (cause ours ALL poop like clockwork the minute the meal is done.)
330 structured teacher led activities
400 Outside again (if its not pitch black out)
430 Diapers
5 music, momvement, other infant class gets sent to my room and i spend the next half hour saying "N DONT CLIMB THAT. Go climb the climber. Get off that chair. NO you cant bite the babies toe!"
530 Snack so I can clean the room, animal crackers or goldfish
6- Peace at last the kids go home.
That's a lot of food each day. Do your kids not eat dinners with their parents at the end of the day?
Cat Herder 06:15 AM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
That's a lot of food each day. Do your kids not eat dinners with their parents at the end of the day?
A lot of programs are beginning to serve dinner for the bigger write-off. We can write off three meals and two snacks per day (some even offer evening snack). My rate: Breakfast $1.33, lunch/dinner $2.49 and snacks $0.74. I would have more deductions by serving dinner after nap than snack. Deductions are money in the bank.
Msdunny 06:45 AM 01-17-2020
A lot of programs are beginning to serve dinner for the bigger write-off. We can write off three meals and two snacks per day (some even offer evening snack). My rate: Breakfast $1.33, lunch/dinner $2.49 and snacks $0.74. I would have more deductions by serving dinner after nap than snack. Deductions are money in the bank.
So do the kids still eat with parents at night? It seems like going from dinner at 2:30 to breakfast at 9 the next day is a long time. Or maybe that was a snack? I can’t see the post in my phone for some reason.
Cat Herder 07:58 AM 01-17-2020
So do the kids still eat with parents at night? It seems like going from dinner at 2:30 to breakfast at 9 the next day is a long time. Or maybe that was a snack? I can’t see the post in my phone for some reason.
I don't see why they would not. Most don't get home until after 6 pm (many centers don't even close until 6), then they have to cook dinner so kids would be eating between 6:30-7:30 pm. 5 hours is a long time without something to eat during waking hours for kids.

When I worked in a center it was common practice to give kids a little something so that they could secure them in a highchair to mop the floor a few minutes prior to closing.

The rules state kids cannot be in high chairs unless they are eating, so tossing a few cheerios on the trays gave them the ability to strap them in and call it a snack but the true goal was to mop the floor so they could get out of work on time. It was the only way since some child was always still in the room at 1 minute to closing and the director would crawl all over you if she could not walk out and lock up on time. Overtime was treated almost as a crime.
Msdunny 08:39 AM 01-17-2020
I don't see why they would not. Most don't get home until after 6 pm (many centers don't even close until 6), then they have to cook dinner so kids would be eating between 6:30-7:30 pm. 5 hours is a long time without something to eat during waking hours for kids.

When I worked in a center it was common practice to give kids a little something so that they could secure them in a highchair to mop the floor a few minutes prior to closing.

The rules state kids cannot be in high chairs unless they are eating, so tossing a few cheerios on the trays gave them the ability to strap them in and call it a snack but the true goal was to mop the floor so they could get out of work on time. It was the only way since some child was always still in the room at 1 minute to closing and the director would crawl all over you if she could not walk out and lock up on time. Overtime was treated almost as a crime.
Gotcha! I guess I was confused by the ‘dinner’ at 2:30. Makes sense to do dinner instead of breakfast.
Cat Herder 08:49 AM 01-17-2020
Gotcha! I guess I was confused by the ‘dinner’ at 2:30. Makes sense to do dinner instead of breakfast.
It is a reimbursement/tax write-off thing. I'll clarify since I don't think I did a great job explaining it, lot's of noise here today.

Many serve breakfast ($1.33), lunch ($2.49) and dinner ($2.49), then an "evening snack" ($0.74) at closing (cheerios/goldfish) while they mop. They skip the morning and afternoon snacks since they don't pay well. $7.05 per day/per child write off vs $5.30.

By adding a few cubes of cheese/meat, a few ounces of milk and a serving of veggies to your usual afternoon snack you take your write-off from $0.74 to $2.49 per child/per day. It is served at the usual time for afternoon snack, just called dinner so they can check the dinner box on the meal count forms.
Msdunny 09:24 AM 01-17-2020
It is a reimbursement/tax write-off thing. I'll clarify since I don't think I did a great job explaining it, lot's of noise here today.

Many serve breakfast ($1.33), lunch ($2.49) and dinner ($2.49), then an "evening snack" ($0.74) at closing (cheerios/goldfish) while they mop. They skip the morning and afternoon snacks since they don't pay well. $7.05 per day/per child write off vs $5.30.

By adding a few cubes of cheese/meat, a few ounces of milk and a serving of veggies to your usual afternoon snack you take your write-off from $0.74 to $2.49 per child/per day. It is served at the usual time for afternoon snack, just called dinner so they can check the dinner box on the meal count forms.
This makes total sense! Hmmmm...might have to make a few changes myself. I never considered this!
Tags:lunch schedule, nap, nap schedule, schedule, toddler schedule
Reply Up