Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Home Daycare into a Center?
Molouu 11:35 AM 01-17-2020
Has anyone turned their home daycare into a child care center? Either by way of converting your house or buying a building. I tried looking for it in the forum, but wasn’t able to find anything. I know that’s not a goal for a lot of people, but it’s something I would love to end up doing in the future and would love to hear first hand from others how it went for them and talk with them about it if they are willing. Thanks!
Blackcat31 12:04 PM 01-17-2020
I am licensed as a large group family child care in MN
I operate out of a house we purchased strictly for operating a child care. I live several miles away.

Every state has different rules though and not all states allow the provider to live off site.

Being a center in my state had way too many requirements and restrictions so I opted to remain family care instead.
Molouu 03:04 PM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am licensed as a large group family child care in MN
I operate out of a house we purchased strictly for operating a child care. I live several miles away.

Every state has different rules though and not all states allow the provider to live off site.

Being a center in my state had way too many requirements and restrictions so I opted to remain family care instead.
I live in Florida and I haven’t looking too heavily into the center requirements since it wouldn’t be a reality for years, but from what I’ve seen they don’t seem too terrible. There is a woman I met once who’s center looks like it was once a house so I always thought maybe she converted her house into a small center which is what I would like to do one day. Are there any differences between a family daycare and large family day care besides amount of children?
flying_babyb 05:30 PM 01-17-2020
If you want you could google: You are my sunshine Allouz daycare. The owner Keegan started out in a tiny home center and is now a beautiful center. worth a look.
CalCare 07:49 PM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by Molouu:
I live in Florida and I haven’t looking too heavily into the center requirements since it wouldn’t be a reality for years, but from what I’ve seen they don’t seem too terrible. There is a woman I met once who’s center looks like it was once a house so I always thought maybe she converted her house into a small center which is what I would like to do one day. Are there any differences between a family daycare and large family day care besides amount of children?
It's different in every state. Here in California, the difference is mainly that you can add 6 more kids and you have to have an assistant there for that. Additional parts are the physical space has a few more safety regs. But that's all for going from "small family childcare" to "large family childcare". A center is a whole different set of regulations. Also we can't have a residential house become a center because you can't just have a childcare center on a residential zoned property. So, that would never happen. But there are old houses in areas that have become zoned for business, and those houses can be used as a center just as they can be used as dentist offices etc.
Molouu 09:26 PM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by CalCare:
It's different in every state. Here in California, the difference is mainly that you can add 6 more kids and you have to have an assistant there for that. Additional parts are the physical space has a few more safety regs. But that's all for going from "small family childcare" to "large family childcare". A center is a whole different set of regulations. Also we can't have a residential house become a center because you can't just have a childcare center on a residential zoned property. So, that would never happen. But there are old houses in areas that have become zoned for business, and those houses can be used as a center just as they can be used as dentist offices etc.
I completely understand zoning not being right for most people’s homes. Many houses around me are zoned residential and some type of commercial (not sure the differences between the commercial types, haven’t looked too much into it), but I wasn’t even thinking that wouldn’t be the case for most people. Finding a home zoned for it wouldn’t be too difficult. And not that I would ever try to understand re-zoning because it’s a lot, but I imagine someone out there has done it for their small business.
Molouu 09:30 PM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
If you want you could google: You are my sunshine Allouz daycare. The owner Keegan started out in a tiny home center and is now a beautiful center. worth a look.
Thank you! I love the fact that kids can have more same-aged peers while still getting that home feel.
Tags:home to center, home vs center
Reply Up