Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I did it!
dEHmom 07:05 AM 03-17-2011
I went shopping yesterday, and bought a new baby gate.
I had the old school kind for the last 7 years

I often gate my dog at the back entrance way while the kids are eating, or when they are wet and muddy. But then I have no gate to block off my kitchen/living room doorway.

I am also tired of it falling over so easily (the dogs know to just push with their nose and it'll tip over or the babies climb it! and it tips) so it isn't all that safe imo.

So I went to look at them (not even planning to buy one, just saw it in the store) and saw a nicer one for a few extra bucks than that style I have already.

So I told hubs I bought it and wanted it installed, he said maybe on the weekend.

It works without being installed, but that requires lifting it and finding a spot to lean it, and it's a lot bigger and heavier than my other one, so I couldn't wait.

Because hubs drill was dead, and I didn't know where the extra battery or the drill bits were, I went for a screwdrvier and I did it the old fashioned way and screwed everything into the walls by hand *ouchies*

YAY now I have a swinging gate. AND if I want to take it off for any reason, you just lift it out of the hinge easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Christian Mother 08:06 AM 03-17-2011
Yea!! You'll love it as it is super safe and easy to take off at the end of the day!! Good for you for being handy!!
dEHmom 08:21 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
Yea!! You'll love it as it is super safe and easy to take off at the end of the day!! Good for you for being handy!!
Thanks,
I sort of have to be. Hubs often does a poor job. LOL!

He gets half way through and gets mad and then just slaps the rest together.

I have to admit it is a little not centered on both sides but it's probably straighter than it would be if hubs did it
missnikki 08:24 AM 03-17-2011
That is so funny, my bridal shower was "Home Depot' themed, and my hubby is not allowed to use power tools w/o asking, since he has no patience and 10 fingers still.
dEHmom 08:39 AM 03-17-2011
hahaha good to hear all fingers still intact.

they give you a template for the hinges/wall cups so that they are spaced properly. But that doesn't take into consideration the slanted or shifted houses or where the center of the doorframe is. I followed the instructions, but they did not say anything about finding the center of the doorway just to use the template.
snowborden1 08:43 AM 03-17-2011
Yay!!! Good for you! That is exactly what I would have done if hubby said wait till the weekend I am impatient...
kidkair 11:48 AM 03-17-2011
Good for you! I would have withheld dinner until he put it up! I'm impatient too and use food or lack there of to get my way sometimes. Another way I get him to do it to start it myself and then ask how such and such works or something else that I really don't need the answer too but if he's afraid I'll hurt myself or his tools he does it for me. I can be such a klutz when it comes to drilling into our plaster and lath walls.
Christian Mother 11:55 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by kidkair:
Good for you! I would have withheld dinner until he put it up! I'm impatient too and use food or lack there of to get my way sometimes. Another way I get him to do it to start it myself and then ask how such and such works or something else that I really don't need the answer too but if he's afraid I'll hurt myself or his tools he does it for me. I can be such a klutz when it comes to drilling into our plaster and lath walls.
Ashually, I would be with holding a lot more then just dinner...hahah!! My hubby is so handy that he is always unavailable to me...talk about resorting to desperate measures.
dEHmom 04:14 AM 03-18-2011
haha right on ladies.

doesn't work on hubs, he just says "fine" and huffs and puffs. LOL.

Yeah usually I start something and get angry or flustered or hurt and he does it. He always says " i would've done it if you asked me" but when I ask anything it's always "I just sat down, i'll do it after" so I just do things.
Reply Up