Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Unregistered

Default Accused Of Abuse

Anybody ever been falsley accused of mistreating your daycare kids by a former employee.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

No, I've only been caring for chidren in my home for four weeks now. I do feel sorry for you if you are falsely accused. Hopefully your parents will stand up for you and the former employee will be put to shame.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I have never been "officially" accused....but unfortunately, it's an occupational hazard for day care providers.

Parents who feel upset that they have been made to abide by day care rules or been expected to pay a late fee etc....like to pull "abuse" out their hat because they know it hurts the provider. It's purely malicious.

When I sent a young lady to collections years ago...she suddenly remembered (several months later when collections caught up with her) that her children had been "abused" at my day care. She gave dates and times to DCF which did not correspond with her sign and out forms and she ended up being trouble herself for filing false reports!

My collection agency told me not to worry about it when I file any claims and that they see this kind of behavior on a regular basic.....and so do judges. It's amazing how many parents "forget" that their children have been "abused" until a bill is due!!!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:21 PM

One parent claimed I abused her son. He intentionally knocked over the green waste trash full of grass clippings. I got out the broom and dustpan and made him clean up 1/2 of it before I helped him finish. Parents were so livid that I made him pick up "garbage" that they never brought him back. Sister stayed for another week until I termed her.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Unregistered

Not by a former employee, but by an ex-friend that was stirring the pot. She accused me of being "emotionally abusive" to the kids. I went through a vigorous investigation that proved all allegations to be false. It was awful, I never really recovered from it.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:37 PM

I have 2 friends that never recovered from false accusations.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:40 PM

I temporarily forgot, I did have one family that accused me of physically abusing the baby. Mom knew it was a lie, Dad believed it "because kids don't lie". I termed the family and have tried to move on. I loved the kids and think about them every single day.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:45 PM

I dont think anyone quite knows the ability for parents to say anything to the state and turn us in if we terminate them, or do something they do not like.

Never had employees but one family turned me in for being "mean" to her child. She gave me a two week notice, wrote me a letter of praise, and said she just couldnt afford daycare anymore. Two weeks later state lady showed up, asked about me being "mean" and gave a few examples. Not even sure why they turned me in, still dont know. But they can say anything they want.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:52 PM

I had a parent skip out on a bill years ago. I left voice mail that she could not return until it was paid in full. 2 weeks went by so then I left voice mail stating the contract was termed for repeated no shows but that she still owed the payment in full with past due fees and that I would collect in court if need be. She left a nasty voicemail stating that when her son was here last she found a handprint on his leg and that if I pursue the payment she would do what she has to do in return.

Total BS if I found a handprint on my childs leg I would take pics and call the police or be at the providers door. Something other than avoidance! After thinking about it for a while I let the bill go and left her a nasty voicemail. It wasn't worth the risk of ruining my daycare with serious alligations that might be believed. I often wondered if that was the right thing to do tho because it kind of makes me look guilty if it had ever come up again. Which it didn't of course. I have never abused any child in my life and never will.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not by a former employee, but by an ex-friend that was stirring the pot. She accused me of being "emotionally abusive" to the kids. I went through a vigorous investigation that proved all allegations to be false. It was awful, I never really recovered from it.
Yeah it's hard we live in a small community and most all my daycare parents stayed with me except two. They just don't believe I would ever do that which I am so thankful for. It's just hard because it can really hurt business in the future. What do you mean you never recovered? Did they have to call all of the parents or just the ones involved in the accusation?
Old 09-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Daycare.com Member

When I decided to get into this business this is the one thing that made me pause and really think about it for a long time. I would just be crushed if someone did this and I have my own babies as well to look after. Any parent who could go so far as to make a false allegation about abuse is out and out nasty. This is the scary part of this business.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:29 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I had the same thing happen to me after I handed out my new handbook stating that the children's belongings(blankets and cuddles) would go in their cubby until nap time. She wrote me a long nasty message..on facebook go figure...stating that I was emotionally abusing him and that it was detrimental to his mental state Also that I was jeopardizing his health and picking on him! It was one of those moments that you just want to scream "OH GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!" They are no longer with me, but I still get upset about it to this day! It sucks when parents have to be so petty and wrapped up in themselves to make wrong and quite honestly hurtful allegations like that. Hopefully everything works out for the best for you!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Daycare.com Member

It amazes me that you would have to terminate after they accuse you of abuse! why would they stay?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellenj View Post
It amazes me that you would have to terminate after they accuse you of abuse! why would they stay?
Because in their eyes, I took good care of the baby, but was mean to the out of control 4 yo.

Tags
false allegations, parent accusations