Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part-Time Versus Full-Time Rates
JessB 10:16 AM 12-15-2011
I'm in the process of getting licensed and am working on writing my contract, etc in the meantime. I'm stuck on rates.

I have a family who will be starting with me in January. Two girls - youngest will be 1 at the end of January and the other will be 3 in early February. They will be attending 3 days per week for a total of about 25 hours.

I'm trying to decide how to charge for them. I'm not sure how to distinguish part-time vs. full-time. Do you do it by days per week - like if you attend 3 days or more it's considered full-time? Or by how many hours attended per week? I know everyone does things differently so I just wanted to hear what others do.

Thanks!
abigailrw5 10:23 AM 12-15-2011
When the hours are under 35 thats considered part time and given an hourly rate. $4.75/hr for under age 2 and $4.50/hr for 2 and up. Then I do Nanny d's rates for fulltime.
mismatchedsocks 10:34 AM 12-15-2011
For me that would be part time and IF i took them ( comfortable with 2 part timers taking up 2 spots) then i would charge my hourly rate for each of them, no discount and give them a set rate for week. Make sure to set them up on regular contract if you have one, where they pay if they dont come, pay for holidays, and get vacation time per how many days a week they are there, if you do that. I do one vacation day a year for each day a week you attend. So if they are there 3 days a week, 3 days a year vacation time. Anyway...

Are they the same days a week? Do they change each week?
JessB 10:40 AM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
For me that would be part time and IF i took them ( comfortable with 2 part timers taking up 2 spots) then i would charge my hourly rate for each of them, no discount and give them a set rate for week. Make sure to set them up on regular contract if you have one, where they pay if they dont come, pay for holidays, and get vacation time per how many days a week they are there, if you do that. I do one vacation day a year for each day a week you attend. So if they are there 3 days a week, 3 days a year vacation time. Anyway...

Are they the same days a week? Do they change each week?
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely be using my contract with them and applying the same policies re: vacation, holidays, etc.

Each week will be the same days - Tuesday through Thursday. Their mom is finishing up school and will graduate in May and then they would become full-time as soon as she gets a job.
MyAngels 10:50 AM 12-15-2011
For me part-time is 25 hours per week or less, and the rate is $25 less than my full time rate. I don't want to take a big hit on income for taking part-time, since it's almost impossible to find another family that wants the other 25 hours per week. I also limit the part-time spots to one at a time.
Unregistered 03:28 PM 12-15-2011
Part time is anything less than 5 days $120 per week. Full time $130 per week. I think its worth it to lose $10 a week per kid to have one day with less kids and less stress.
Ariana 03:55 PM 12-15-2011
I do it by hours. My daily rate is $47 per day, my part-time rate is $25 per day.

Up to 4 hours = $25
Over 4 hours = $47
AnneCordelia 04:00 PM 12-15-2011
My rates go by the day and not hourly. I only do fullday care and not half days/part days...I find it's too disruptive to my day.

My fulltime clients pay $35/day.
My parttime clients pay $40/day.
Drop-in clients pay $45/day.
daycare 04:00 PM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I do it by hours. My daily rate is $47 per day, my part-time rate is $25 per day.

Up to 4 hours = $25
Over 4 hours = $47
I go by this as well.... I have it 4.15 hours is part time rate and anything over that is full time rate....I have 4.15, because this is how long I run my preschool program for daily form start to finish....

I would call around to see what the rates are in your area and then go from there... this way you are at least in the same ball park as the rest of your competitors.
frgsonmysox 05:34 PM 12-16-2011
I'm planning 3 different methods of payment - weekly, hourly, or daily.

$100/week (5 days a week at 9 hours per day)
$30/day (minimum of 3 days per week at 9 hours per day)
$3/hour (minimum of 27 hours per week, however you want to break it up)

This way I make at LEAST $81/week
Crazy8 08:22 PM 12-16-2011
my "part time" only refers to # of days per week - I don't do half days. So, I have a rate for 3, 4 or 5 days per week. Hourly would never work for me - I require payment a week in advance and like that there is never any confusion, they pay the same every week all year long.
frgsonmysox 10:09 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
my "part time" only refers to # of days per week - I don't do half days. So, I have a rate for 3, 4 or 5 days per week. Hourly would never work for me - I require payment a week in advance and like that there is never any confusion, they pay the same every week all year long.
The way I have it written up is they must pay the minimum charge a week before, and at the end of the week pay any additional charges they've racked up. So if they pay hourly, the first week they owe $81, but by the end of the week they owe $81+any additional charges for the past week.
JessB 10:33 PM 12-16-2011
Thanks everyone! I have a lot to think about in regards to rates. I feel like this is one of the most difficult parts of starting up!
Abigail 01:22 AM 12-17-2011
I'm new and don't have anyone enrolled yet, but I'm sticking to my rates for now. I have average full time rates and charge higher for under age 2 so only two different rates.

Then I have it broken down from 1-5 days because 1 day would be a drop in and I would take 2 days a week since I'm just starting. I actually have someone coming out to interview for a 2 day a week spot soon.

What I do is break down the average weekly rate per day. Then I add 10% or so to each day less. So if they attend 4 days it's not 80% of the weekly rate, it is closer to 90% the weekly rate. If they attend 3 days it's not 60% of the weekly rate, it is closer to 70% and so forth. It's just slightly less for 4 days because I want those who only need 4 days to only utilize those days and save the extra few dollars and I have one lighter day or option for a drop in when I'm full.

So far the ones looking for part time care really interested....especially the 2 days a week so might have to change those rates come summer because most daycares charge the 3 day minimum and I'm a lot less than that.
Tags:full time vs part time
Reply Up