Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do you have backyard/pet chickens at your HDC?
Yes - we do! 5 14.29%
No we don't.... 25 71.43%
I have been thinking about it. 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Have Backyard Chickens?
Loveyoustinkyface 08:51 AM 04-25-2013
Do you have backyard/pet chickens at your home daycare as part of your learning experience?
AmyLeigh 09:20 AM 04-25-2013
I would love to, however, chickens are not allowed in city limits.
jessrlee 09:21 AM 04-25-2013
I sure do . The kids love it!!
bunnyslippers 09:22 AM 04-25-2013
I would love to have some chickens! My husband says no....
MotherNature 09:28 AM 04-25-2013
As soon as we buy a house, we'll get some, but we rent a duplex right now, so no...
nothingwithoutjoy 09:30 AM 04-25-2013
Yes; we currently have 4 chickens. I love them, and so do the kids! They've gotten very good at catching/carrying them, shooing them back into their coop (they free range while we're outside), finding treats for them to eat, and checking for eggs. (And, unfortunately, well versed in predator/prey relationships, but that's valuable education as well.)
MamaBearCanada 09:34 AM 04-25-2013
No but I would love to. Unfortunately we are not allowed them within the city
Live and Learn 09:38 AM 04-25-2013
Yes we currently have 5 hens. We have three Barnevelders and two Americaunas. The B's lay beautiful dark brown eggs, one of the A's lays pink eggs, the other A lays blueish green eggs.
Unregistered 09:45 AM 04-25-2013
yes, we just got 6 chicks and it is amazing how fast they grow. I live in a city- best to check your city codes, every place is different. I know that mine can't be near the kid's, so many feet away. Fun-
craftymissbeth 10:07 AM 04-25-2013
I would LOVE to have a couple of chickens, but DH says no. Not that it matters what he says, the city says no, too
SquirrellyMama 11:02 AM 04-25-2013
We don't have any either because the city doesn't allow it I would enjoy some chickens.

K
e.j. 11:47 AM 04-25-2013
We don't have chickens. We have neighbors up the street who have a few and they're constantly in the road, getting in the way of drivers. They also wander around in another neighbor's yard, charging at her kids. I'm annoyed enough at those chickens that I have no interest at all in owning my own!
Michelle 12:29 PM 04-25-2013
We have about 8 chickens and they got out one day, walked down the street to Taco Bell and was standing at the door looking at the customers!

I had a neighbor come tell me but it took 5 minutes for her to stop laughing to get out the words..

crazydaycarelady 02:45 PM 04-25-2013
I didn't vote because we HAD chickens but don't anymore. The foxes, raccoons, hawks, owls, and neighbor dogs got all but one so I gave her away.

I LOVED them though and it was a great experience for the kids. The eggs were delicious and I think it was a real bonus in the parents eyes.
julie 03:54 PM 04-25-2013
We're hatching chicks this spring, but we have to give them back to the farm once they hatch. Shame really, but we have the same rule in our city.
jenn 04:05 PM 04-25-2013
I may be overly tired. When I read this, I was thinking...Well, I do have a few kids that don't really like going outside, but I wouldn't really say they are chickens about it. Then I realized what you meant.
nanglgrl 05:45 PM 04-25-2013
No, I think they are against state regs but I might be wrong. Several of our neighbors do though so we get free eggs and can visit if we want.
daycare 05:47 PM 04-25-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
We have about 8 chickens and they got out one day, walked down the street to Taco Bell and was standing at the door looking at the customers!

I had a neighbor come tell me but it took 5 minutes for her to stop laughing to get out the words..

I can't stop laughing.
Loveyoustinkyface 06:57 AM 04-26-2013
I love all the replies!

I am sad to say that we have been given a ciatation for our chickens, all hens. We may have to re-home them if we can't get a Variance. Re-zoning is not an option :~( Costs $3,115 to file a petition to change all the residential zoning in our county into agriculture! We would never want that to happen!! Just to allow permits to a few backyard hens to select families that want that life-style.

So nice to hear that many of you have chickens and the kids get to experience a little "farm-life"!
SilverSabre25 08:15 AM 04-26-2013
I want them, but not until we do a few other things...like put a back door off the kitchen so we can get quickly to the back yard.
Reply Up