Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Think, Suggestions Please...
Reimel61 11:19 AM 05-16-2013
I have a 3 year old who for at least 50% of the time I’m not able to understand her (I know the parents don’t either). When I wipe her face after lunch she makes her body stiff and shakes and tries to lick the paper towel. She hits the other children, then comes to me and says “Her name” hit me. In other words she repeats what she hears the other kids say when they are hit by her. When she gets mad or I redirect her and she doesn’t like it she kind of screams and grows (sp? I know it's not right, but for the life of me I can't spell it, the thing dogs do). She doesn’t understand the different between Yes and No. I have finally gotten her to sit on the potty without screaming and crying (Doctor said to start to potty training). She does know her ABC’s and recognizes most of them and can count and recognize numbers up to 10. I know we can’t compare children, but she is just so very behind all the others I’ve had at this age, I’m concerned. She is taken to the doctors every time she has the least little bit of a cold and I would think the doctor would notice if there was a problem. I’ve not ever has any special needs children and I’m not up on the different conditions these days. Does this sound normal or not???

Just remembering something else. We did hand prints for mother's day, tracing and painted hand prints, she would not cooperate for either one. She screamed and wouldn't put her hand in the paint.
rmc20021 11:22 AM 05-16-2013
I have a 3 yo who I can't understand 90% of the time when he DOES speak. He hardly ever does, but when he does, it sounds NOTHING like what he tries to say and it's only one word, never 2 words put together.

He seems to hear just fine...I've suggested to mom that they have him evaluated but you know how that goes...
NeedaVaca 11:53 AM 05-16-2013
She sounds like a prime candidate for an evaluation. At age 3 she is past the birth -3 program so the parents need to call the school. They need to call asap as school is almost over and they typically do not do this over the summer break! From what you have said she probably has a speech delay/disorder and possible sensory issues as well. This is just a guess based on what you said and I feel there could be other issues as well...I would give the parents a milestone chart and a list of your concerns. Depending on the Dr, they don't always recognize these things right away unless a parent is bringing up concerns to them 1st. When a Dr asks if the parents have any concerns it's up to them to be honest about it and the behavior but sometimes parents are in denial and act like everything is fine...
Reply Up