Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Special Needs Policy?
Little Bears FCC 05:34 AM 04-29-2014
Hello.
Wondering if any of you might have a policy for special needs? If so would you be willing to share?
If you take children with special needs what do you require to have from the parents for the child? Do you ask for documentation from the doctor as to what the need is? Do you ask for training on the type of special needs the child may have?
preschoolteacher 07:10 PM 04-29-2014
I don't think I'd have a policy per say because special needs are so diverse. Hard to lump everyone together! I would handle it on a case by case basis.
earlystart 12:16 PM 04-30-2014
I've never had a child with special needs at my daycare, but here's what my handbook wording says:

Children with Special Needs

I don't have any expertise or specialized training in caring for children with special needs, including:
• ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder)
• ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
• Autism
• Down's Syndrome

You must provide me with written instructions if your child requires special therapy, an individualized program of instruction, or behavior guidance. These instructions need to be prepared by a physician or therapist.

If I am not able to provide adequate care to your child, or doing so interferes with the care of the group as a whole, the client is required to provide a "shadow" for their child at their own expense in order to continue enrollment.
Unregistered 12:36 PM 04-30-2014
I have had kids with ADHD, Down Syndrome, speech disorders, autism, large motor delay, anxiety disorder. I have no policy. Some kids were babies when first enrolled and we had no idea what was to come. Others, I recognized issues and asked parents to partner with me in seeking evaluation.
Most stayed with me. Some had teachers come here until age 3, when families had to transport them to special classes. One had a chance to go full time into an excellent autism program, so I let them go without notice.
I learned a lot from the special ed teachers, and they recommended my program to parents. I also took classes for specific issues, sometimes with the parents. We learned together and worked as a team.
I haven't felt a need for a policy, just good open communication with the parents.
Tags:policy - categories, special needs
Reply Up