Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Problem Child
TwinMama 07:39 AM 03-11-2016
I couldn't think of another title. He's not naughty...he just is needy and wants a lot of attention.

I have a dcb that has trouble playing and staying calm. I do activities here, but he tends to make them all crazy activities and gets the other children out of sorts. He needs A LOT of redirecting. He's nice to the other kids. He's not mean in any way. He just wants everyone to see and hear him ALL the time.

He isn't a good listener at his own home. I think he probably listens here better. His Mom said there's lots of screaming fits and whining at their house. He doesn't listen to her AT ALL.

He used to like to tell me what we were going to do throughout our day. I have since redirected that behavior. Sometimes he'll go back to it, but he usually catches himself.

He doesn't just play either.....he's extremely loud about what he's doing, and while the other kids play with a stuffed animal or a car he throws all the cars in one container and wants to keep them, or throws all the stuffed animals and dolls in a tent and wants to pretend there's a crazy storm and almost knock down the tent.

I understand kids have energy, but this is different. He almost acts this way so the other kids follow what he's doing, AND...it unfortunately works.

Both my Mom and DH have observed his behavior and think something isn't right. I've talked to mom subtly about it, but she brushes it off saying that she'll have a talk with him.

Recently he's been home or went on family outings and hasn't been here. Those days are my best days. I feel bad for saying it, because like I said...he's not mean. He just likes to cause a ruckus.

It could definitely be worse though, because I could get another child in here that's just plain naughty and mean. At least when I redirect him he listens.

Anybody ever had this issue?
TXhomedaycare 10:39 AM 03-11-2016
You have my 5 yo dcb (aka my son). This sounds just like my son. He is my oldest daycare child and I can't wait for him to go to kindergarten. He loves chas and will turn any calm situation into madness. He does fine outside of home and when the daycare kids go home but when they are here he is crazy. He is nice and helps the little ones but he is very much a leader and wants everyone's attention. If I put him in time out he knows how to convince every child that they do as well and they will sit with him. He is very persuasive and his high energy level is attractive to all the other kids. I don't think/feel there is anything wrong with him ( I could be wrong) but after going to a recent boys training I think he is a normal boy he just might have more energy than others. If he had learning delays or problems I would so think there might be a problem but he does not so just like I accommodate and support the other kids with their needs I do the same with him. I do feel for OP since that isn't her child and I think my unconditional love for my child is the only reason I have not termed him
Blackcat31 11:36 AM 03-11-2016
How old is he?

Is he picked up at the same time each day?
NillaWafers 02:05 PM 03-11-2016
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
You have my 5 yo dcb (aka my son). This sounds just like my son. He is my oldest daycare child and I can't wait for him to go to kindergarten. He loves chas and will turn any calm situation into madness. He does fine outside of home and when the daycare kids go home but when they are here he is crazy. He is nice and helps the little ones but he is very much a leader and wants everyone's attention. If I put him in time out he knows how to convince every child that they do as well and they will sit with him. He is very persuasive and his high energy level is attractive to all the other kids. I don't think/feel there is anything wrong with him ( I could be wrong) but after going to a recent boys training I think he is a normal boy he just might have more energy than others. If he had learning delays or problems I would so think there might be a problem but he does not so just like I accommodate and support the other kids with their needs I do the same with him. I do feel for OP since that isn't her child and I think my unconditional love for my child is the only reason I have not termed him
Your son and mine sound quite the same. I tell my DH that once he goes to school my job will be 100x easier. He is just a handful and his attitude rubs off on the other kids! It doesn't help I'm his mom and he knows how to push my buttons and the limits.
NightOwl 03:50 PM 03-11-2016
I had his twin last year. It turned out that he had a sensory processing issue. He was a sensory seeker, therefore everything had to be big and loud. He yelled instead of speaking, he stomped instead of walking, he constantly jumped, bounced off of furniture, ran through the house knocking others over by accident, etc. I ended up terming because mom was in denial and wouldn't seek treatment even though his doctor recommended an evaluation for him.
Tags:needy
Reply Up