Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Started An Infant-Won't Stop Crying!
littlemommy 09:15 AM 06-07-2011
I just started a 9 month old yesterday. He fussed all day and is doing the same today. He is fed, changed, and just woke up. The only time he is quiet is if I am holding him. That's extremely hard to do when I have 4 toddlers to chase around! Gonna be a long week.
youretooloud 09:20 AM 06-07-2011
I've never experienced this before... until a few weeks ago. As we speak, she's sitting on my lap, crying in my face.... well, screaming.

We can suffer together... but, I don't have any ideas.
Sunshine44 09:52 AM 06-07-2011
Hugs! I've been there twice. It can be challenging for sure. I'm not sure I could deal with another like that in the future. Know you are not alone.
cheerfuldom 10:32 AM 06-07-2011
My rule is to start a kiddo before 6 months or after a year. The 6-12 month time frame is the hardest on me because kids get separation anxiety really bad especially when you have a daycare situation in the mix and even more so when the parents never put baby down at home. I would get him into the routine and not cater to the holding. If he doesn't adjust in 2 to 4 weeks (whatever your limit is) then I would term if at all possible. Watch out for aggressive behavior, non napping, food strikes and other "rage" baby symptoms. If you are seeing a lot more than separation anxiety, it is likely to be a VERY long haul with this little guy. Its up to you if you are willing to wait it out and work with him.
Mom_of_two 11:23 AM 06-07-2011
When I have a new one start I try not to think too much about it until two weeks go by. Unless there are obvious significant behavioral or emotional issues or something....but for some of them it takes a week or even two to get adjusted.
littlemommy 11:30 AM 06-07-2011
He doesn't even notice when his mom leaves. Right when he gets here he's happy and playing..but after 10 minutes he starts fussing. It's naptime now, so I can't bring him out of his sleeping room because he'll wake up the 3 toddlers that are in the main room. I feel so bad he just cried in there for 20 minutes.
He just wants to be held. I know he's probably scared being in a new place with new people, but it's just not possible to carry him ALL day.
Sugar Magnolia 11:37 AM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by Mom_of_two:
When I have a new one start I try not to think too much about it until two weeks go by. Unless there are obvious significant behavioral or emotional issues or something....but for some of them it takes a week or even two to get adjusted.
Yes! Exactly! Hang on for at least 2 weeks. He is a baby, babies cry. I don't do infants, but I do 12 month olds, and it always takes about 2 weeks for a little one to adjust. I do hold them a lot the first couple days, then I gradually start putting them down close by and make lots of eye contact and talk to them a lot. It WILL get better, kids are amazingly adaptable, once they understand you are NOT going to skin them alive and boil them in oil!!! LOL!! This baby is just scared, its so natural... He/she is thinking "omg am I ever gonna see my adult again?! Who is this strange lady?" Once they know mom IS coming back, every day, it will be ok.
MommyMuffin 11:50 AM 06-07-2011
I had a baby like that, he is a high needs baby and right now he is 9 months old. I think because I had him since he was so little I have been able to form a strong bond with him and now I pretty much know what I can do for him all the time.

I think taking a baby that age would be hard. I have a new 4 month old now who is almost the same way as yours. If I wasnt pregnant I would be wearing her, but since I cant we just suffer.

She is fussy but not high needs. I have not formed a great bond with her yet but hopefully I will.

I think it is key to really get to know the infant so you can anticipate needs and wants. That is very hard to do with an older infant and in only a few days.

It sure can be painful! I have been there. Good luck to you. Try wearing the baby.
SimpleMom 05:24 PM 06-07-2011
I was gonna say try wearing baby as well. I do that here. If they are crying in the room, sometimes sleeping on a mat in the main room helps. Sometimes, I will hang out with baby in the babies' sleeping room while they go to sleep or if they are awake while the others are sleeping.

Sorry. I know that can be tough. I've had a couple that have done that, too.
Tags:infant, won't - stop crying
Reply Up