Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Do You Ever Reduce Someone's Rates?

I received an email from one of my best dcfs pleading their financial hardship case. Their dd attends prek 3 mornings a week(it started at only 2x a week) and g'ma picks up at noon on Fridays. She said basically she's here only 1 full day, 4 half days. She said even $5 a week would help them out.
I asked her if they were eligible for childcare financial assistance. I also mentioned to her that if they were to refer a dcf to my that became enrolled, I'd give them a free week.
They agreed to full pay. She admits I have every right to charge full rate and they agreed to it, signed contract, and all.
Did I happen to mention they're a really really nice family? So I'm sure you all can guess my reply to her? I'm such a pushover.
I really need to find another full time dck. That would alleviate some worries.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Group DCP in Kansas

My first thought is to stick with offering incentives like 1 week free, or reduced rate for X number of weeks with referred family. OR you could offer to reduce the rate permanently if you/they can find a child to fill the other part of their child's slot.

That being said I did allow one dcb to attend pt/ pay pt rate while holding his ft slot a few years ago. DCM had a job lined up but did not pass her cosmetology exam and had to wait 3 months to try again so they could not afford to keep him here full time to hold the spot during that time. It was a set time frame and IMO not worth re-training a child for the loss of income. If it was for a specific set time it might be worth it to you to offer a reduced rate, especially if you cannot fill that spot right away.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

The only time I lowered fees was when I stopped offering meals. I reduced the monthly tuition by $50 because I stopped providing organic and whole food snacks and lunch. Could you maybe make some trade offs like this with her? Like if she packed food for her daughter or brought food/supplies for the daycare that equaled the amount you're reducing tuition or something? At least then you're not just giving them a break per se, just making a trade.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:04 PM

I have reduced my rates once. The mom didn't ask, I offered. She was an wonderful mom, single, working her butt off to do the right thing for her child and I could afford to do it so I did. She later got married, had two more kids, paid full rates after she got married and could afford it. I never asked her to pay more, she increased it on her own. She never took any kind of government assistance, but did rely on her family for help during her lean times. Awesome family. We still keep in touch.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:17 PM

I reduced my rates for a family with 2 ft dc kids by quite a bit when the dad quit his job to go to school. (they asked me before he quit). It was an inconvenience for me-and a hardship but I really liked this family.
Both boys are now in school ft and come only a few days/week after school and school vacations. The parents now pay my FULL TIME rate!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 03:40 AM
Daycare.com Member

Maybe you could try bartering with this family. I've traded for house cleaning, fresh berries ( in season).
Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
I received an email from one of my best dcfs pleading their financial hardship case. Their dd attends prek 3 mornings a week(it started at only 2x a week) and g'ma picks up at noon on Fridays. She said basically she's here only 1 full day, 4 half days. She said even $5 a week would help them out.
I asked her if they were eligible for childcare financial assistance. I also mentioned to her that if they were to refer a dcf to my that became enrolled, I'd give them a free week.
They agreed to full pay. She admits I have every right to charge full rate and they agreed to it, signed contract, and all.
Did I happen to mention they're a really really nice family? So I'm sure you all can guess my reply to her? I'm such a pushover.
Does this family pay for the DD's preschool?

Did they ask the preschool for a discount?

I have lowered someone's rate before but at MY discretion and NOT because a family asked. Depending on whether they have tried to cut back in ALL other areas first, I might be really insulted that they asked...

I think that once a family has exhausted ALL other means of cutting their budgets then and ONLY then would it be understandable to ask their child care provider for a discount.

I don't mean to come across so harshly but like I said...child care is usually the first place parents try to negotiate rates... and yet we have the MOST important job, caring for their child.

As a parent, I'd cut my cell phone, my cable TV, ask for payment deferments for anything and everything BEFORE I would ever consider asking my provider to cut me a break.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:27 AM

I can't say that I have in the past.

We were going camping last weekend and one of the parents offered to stay home and keep the child home that day. I was so excited that I got to leave 5 hours early that I took $20 off of their weekly rate. Of course,the dad paid a day late, so I got $10 of that back.

One of my other parents tried to make me feel guilty because said parent had to miss the company lunch that day. (I ended up taking a 1/2 day off.)
Old 10-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
On a few occasions I've cut a family a break. I do it very rarely though because my rates are already on the lower end. But that family is my special dcg and infant family and everyone already knows their circumstances. But never did mom ask. I've bought diapers for the babies to help and because the baby only had two onesies I've bought him clothes too. I also allow her to pay a week behind according to her paycheck but again that was my offer not her asking.

I'm much more lenient with those I know are honest people trying hard. This family has been with me a year now. Her rate is also the lowest I would ever give a family with two kids under age 2.

It is what it is though.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Group DCP in Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post

I'm much more lenient with those I know are honest people trying hard.
Me too!
Old 10-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Advanced Daycare Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Does this family pay for the DD's preschool?

Did they ask the preschool for a discount?
I have lowered someone's rate before but at MY discretion and NOT because a family asked. Depending on whether they have tried to cut back in ALL other areas first, I might be really insulted that they asked...

I think that once a family has exhausted ALL other means of cutting their budgets then and ONLY then would it be understandable to ask their child care provider for a discount.

I don't mean to come across so harshly but like I said...child care is usually the first place parents try to negotiate rates... and yet we have the MOST important job, caring for their child.

As a parent, I'd cut my cell phone, my cable TV, ask for payment deferments for anything and everything BEFORE I would ever consider asking my provider to cut me a break.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Daycare.com Member

Dcm emailed me back today and said the $5 a week will be very helpful and at the end of the year things will be better for them and they'll pay me regular rates again. I offered them something different than just the 5 a week and she wouldn't accept it. They really are a wonderful family and the little girl is a sweetheart. I could tell she felt terrible for asking.
I'm not sure if or what the preschool costs.
Thanks for all the replies!
Old 10-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Group DCP in Kansas

It's hard to imagine how $20 a month could really help a working family. I hope it really does though!

Tags
rate - reduction, rate change