Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing Rate Because of Pre-K?
Malmom 12:18 PM 12-02-2013
I have a dck who is 3. He's been with me full Time since August, and his sister comes after school. I'm already giving her a heck of a deal- at least $40 less a week than what centers charge.

He started preschool today and will be gone from 11-3, so basically during lunch time, clean up and nap. He will be coming back after nap is over. His mom asked me if rates will change. I feel bad, because he will be here 4 hours less a day, but I really can't afford for rates to go lower. It's an inconvenience to me to make sure he gets on and off the bus (both are times when I am normally feeding babies and older kids are eating lunch or snack).

Am I wrong for not wanting to change her weekly rates?
Reply
melilley 12:24 PM 12-02-2013
I don't think you are wrong at all!
He is taking up a full time spot and it wouldn't be fair to you to lose income. This is why I only do a flat daily rate or a flat weekly rate. I don't do any part time day rates because it really wouldn't be worth it for me.
Reply
Cradle2crayons 12:27 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by Malmom:
I have a dck who is 3. He's been with me full Time since August, and his sister comes after school. I'm already giving her a heck of a deal- at least $40 less a week than what centers charge.

He started preschool today and will be gone from 11-3, so basically during lunch time, clean up and nap. He will be coming back after nap is over. His mom asked me if rates will change. I feel bad, because he will be here 4 hours less a day, but I really can't afford for rates to go lower. It's an inconvenience to me to make sure he gets on and off the bus (both are times when I am normally feeding babies and older kids are eating lunch or snack).

Am I wrong for not wanting to change her weekly rates?
Nope, it's the standard "fees are due on enrollment not attendance" routine. End of story. If mom says something, just say" well actually, I normally charge more for more than one drop off and pick up per day plus an additional charge to get children on and off he bus. So if an lower your rate for he four hours but then I'll have to add an additional $75.00 per week to cover the other two issues" then
Reply
Play Care 12:29 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by Malmom:
I have a dck who is 3. He's been with me full Time since August, and his sister comes after school. I'm already giving her a heck of a deal- at least $40 less a week than what centers charge.

He started preschool today and will be gone from 11-3, so basically during lunch time, clean up and nap. He will be coming back after nap is over. His mom asked me if rates will change. I feel bad, because he will be here 4 hours less a day, but I really can't afford for rates to go lower. It's an inconvenience to me to make sure he gets on and off the bus (both are times when I am normally feeding babies and older kids are eating lunch or snack).

Am I wrong for not wanting to change her weekly rates?
Not at all!! I have kids go to preschool and I do not discount at all. In my case I have a helper come in so I'm not schlepping everyone else to and from. There is no way to fill in a three or four hour time frame with another client. It IS inconvenient when kids go to preschool - it disrupts our schedule and routine, I have to deal with issues of kids coming back with candy and treats because of yet another preschool birthday/ holiday party and not to mention that even though they have a healthy food policy at the school some of the snacks are atrocious. I have kids coming back OFF THE WALL from eating garbage! We don't do morning snack here because kids don't need to eat every couple of hours, so when they have school and get snack they goof off at lunch so there is even more money down the drain. So yeah, no discounts here
Reply
Malmom 01:11 PM 12-02-2013
I sent her an email back telling her that rates would stay the same. I feel bad- I know she is a single mom probably struggling to make ends meet. That's why I offered her such a good deal in the first place. But going any lower on rates would kill me, and wouldn't make it worth it to deal with the hassle of getting him on/off the bus. I hope she understands.
Reply
cara041083 01:16 PM 12-02-2013
I don't think its wrong at all! I charge WAY under the scale for my area. I tell parents that it is the same rate for all ages regardless of school. Its better for me because I have parents that like the fact that I don't charge more for babies and I end up getting alot more calls that way. But the trade off is once school starts, they don't get a discount. A spot is a spot!
Reply
Blackcat31 01:27 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by Malmom:
I sent her an email back telling her that rates would stay the same. I feel bad- I know she is a single mom probably struggling to make ends meet. That's why I offered her such a good deal in the first place. But going any lower on rates would kill me, and wouldn't make it worth it to deal with the hassle of getting him on/off the bus. I hope she understands.
Being a single mom is not a disability.

Once provider's (and everyone for that matter) gets over this way of thinking, it won't continually be used as an "excuse".

I am a married mother and I struggle to make ends meet. I have a second adult to feed (my DH) verses just children.

Being a single mother does not equate to deserving special. Being a single mother has it's pros/cons....just like being a married mother.
Reply
nannyde 01:27 PM 12-02-2013
No discount as it is much more work to do an additional arrival and departure and transitions to leave and return than it is to feed with the group and take a nap with the group. If you are on the food program you loose that subsidy too. Also the amount of illness increases when you have a group member going into another group daily.
Reply
lovemykidstoo 01:54 PM 12-02-2013
I don't discount for anything. It is virtually impossible for you to fill those few hours during the day so why should you be hurt financially because the child is going to preschool?
Reply
MarinaVanessa 02:36 PM 12-02-2013
I don't offer a discount for the preschoolers and kindergartners because I can't fit another client in that middle of the day 4 hour gap. If a child comes 4 or 5 days a week for a partial day or full day that is full time to me, no discount added.
Reply
TwinKristi 02:54 PM 12-02-2013
I understand what you mean about the single mom thing, while it isn't a disability, it is a disadvantage when you only have one income rather than two. Even if having a husband is another mouth to feed, they typically add to the income pot so the extra mouth to feed is not just taking. I have a single mom client and the grandma is single as well so it's just the two of them. I was a single mom to twins and thank God I qualified for subsidized care or I wouldn't be able to work. The fact that she can afford private preschool is a perk many single moms don't have hence the free PreKs and Head Start programs. My oldest boys went to Head Start but once I was with my dh we could afford daycare & private preschool for our kids. I was able to stay home and now work from home and not live paycheck to paycheck. I know some working families do as well but a single mom only has the potential of one income, period.
I wouldn't feel because honestly, like others pointed out, your care is based on a spot to fill not attendance. You're filling a spot and can't recoup that money for those few hours mid day. Plus you already give her a big discount. I know you already sent it, but I would have probably included a breakdown of what your full price would be for her spots and the discount she's getting now. Sometimes seeing it in black and white numbers helps.
Reply
mrsnj 02:57 PM 12-02-2013
Nope. I don't cut a deal. If state comes in, those kids are taking a spot. No matter if they are there all day or just at that moment waiting for a bus. I charge at least part time rate for prek. They can either take it or go pay the school twice as much for before/after school care. No loss to me.
Reply
Blackcat31 03:13 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I understand what you mean about the single mom thing, while it isn't a disability, it is a disadvantage when you only have one income rather than two. Even if having a husband is another mouth to feed, they typically add to the income pot so the extra mouth to feed is not just taking. I have a single mom client and the grandma is single as well so it's just the two of them. I was a single mom to twins and thank God I qualified for subsidized care or I wouldn't be able to work. The fact that she can afford private preschool is a perk many single moms don't have hence the free PreKs and Head Start programs. My oldest boys went to Head Start but once I was with my dh we could afford daycare & private preschool for our kids. I was able to stay home and now work from home and not live paycheck to paycheck. I know some working families do as well but a single mom only has the potential of one income, period.
I wouldn't feel because honestly, like others pointed out, your care is based on a spot to fill not attendance. You're filling a spot and can't recoup that money for those few hours mid day. Plus you already give her a big discount. I know you already sent it, but I would have probably included a breakdown of what your full price would be for her spots and the discount she's getting now. Sometimes seeing it in black and white numbers helps.
Single moms usually have child support coming in.

I wasn't trying debate the hardships of being a single parent. I am just saying it plays NO role in this.

If she (the single DCM) doesn't have that income, it still has no bearing on the provider.

Way too many people use that as an excuse to get "special".

EVERYONE struggles to make ends meet at one point or another. Regardless of whether or not they are single, married, dating or solo.

Also being a single mom usually allows her to be able to qualify for special assistance services that having two incomes doesn't allow for.
Reply
itlw8 03:39 PM 12-02-2013
I never charged less when my kids had 1/d kindergarten they still took up a f/t opening plus we had to have lunch early and put them on the bus.

If she insists say well I could charge you the hourly rate but I am afraid it will cost you much more than the f/t rate and if a f/t client calls they can have the opening.

I charge 95 a week or $5 an hour for drop in so by the hour would quickly add up to more.
Reply
Annalee 06:30 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I don't think you are wrong at all!
He is taking up a full time spot and it wouldn't be fair to you to lose income. This is why I only do a flat daily rate or a flat weekly rate. I don't do any part time day rates because it really wouldn't be worth it for me.

Reply
Lorri 06:38 PM 12-02-2013
I don't change my rates, my main reason is there is no way to fill those few hours up with other children. Mine is a full day rate if they are there or not
Reply
christine19720 05:58 AM 12-03-2013
I charge my regular rate for pre k kids. Just because they are gone for a few hours doesn't negate the fact that they take up a slot. And, I find it more of a disruption getting the child on and off the bus as if the child just attended all day.
Reply
Tags:pre-k, rate change
Reply Up