Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Unregistered

Default Full-Time Trumps Part Time

Hi! I need some advice. I have been interviewing a few families for my last 2 spots but everyone seems to only need part time summer care. I’ve narrowed it down a family that I think would be the best fit but now I have someone interested in immediate care and full time. I don’t have anything listed in my handbook/policy that says full time spots will always trump part time spots (lesson learned) so how do I tell the other family that I can no longer offer care to them? I wouldn’t really care if it was someone I never saw again but we attend the same small church.

And TBH: full time money always speaks to me more than part time money. Sorry so blunt.

Help!
Old 04-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Daycare.com Member

I had this happen once with a part time already in my care. I told the family that I needed to fill the spot full time and offered them first dibs. I told them if they weren't interested in the full time spot, I would keep them on until I filled it. The family agreed and kept part time. I filled that spot and let them go. They were aware so they weren't mad. I think there was some regret after the fact as they did try to come back full time but my spots were all filled at that time.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

"I am sorry but I can no longer afford to keep your family part time."
Old 04-03-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi! I need some advice. I have been interviewing a few families for my last 2 spots but everyone seems to only need part time summer care. I’ve narrowed it down a family that I think would be the best fit but now I have someone interested in immediate care and full time. I don’t have anything listed in my handbook/policy that says full time spots will always trump part time spots (lesson learned) so how do I tell the other family that I can no longer offer care to them? I wouldn’t really care if it was someone I never saw again but we attend the same small church.

And TBH: full time money always speaks to me more than part time money. Sorry so blunt.

Help!
I agree full time trumps part time and I would offer the part time family the option of being full time (or paying the full time rate even if they don't use or need it).

If they decline, go with the family that does want full time.

I've had clients come to me seeking part time care and then taking a full time slot just so they can attend.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:14 AM

I answered on your other post. Of course.

Repeat: "I am sorry but I can no longer afford to keep your family part time."

They would not judge another congregation member on seeking a job with better income for their family. Why should they judge you for the same.

Please tell me they were merged and I don't need to dial 911.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I answered on your other post. Of course.

Please tell me they were merged and I don't need to dial 911.
Deep breaths.... you're good.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Deep breaths.... you're good.
Thanks One kid today. And all that entails.

Tags
part time to full time