Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby -
284878 10:47 PM 09-09-2020
DCM had a baby last winter. At the time I only had space for the baby one day a week. I told her my availability and she said she would take it. The more I thought about it the more I did not want to have the baby one day a weeks so I emailed (3/11) her and told her no. Well she did not say anything to me, then one day (about 3/16) she said that they decided to have MIL watch the baby all week. (DCB comes twice a week here and see MIL the rest of the week.) I said okay.

This was all happening in the middle of the governor closing things. (school closed 3/13 and lock down shortly followed 3/23) So as it turns out another dcm has decided to become a SAHM and the other infant has moved. I now have 3 openings and one of them is infant.

I have been looking for a family, wanting to find toddlers but no luck. I have an family with an infant that wants to start. They will be 2 days but want to move to 4 days before the end of the year. Although they are foster care and could leave at anytime.



I sometimes forget that there is a baby as DCM rarely mentions the baby. The baby would be about
6/7 months old now.

So now I am questioning if I should have offered DCM the spot before I fill it? She said that they were just going to have MIL watch her, like it was their decision and that my email had nothing to do with it.
Reply
PB&J 04:32 AM 09-10-2020
If you did offer them the spot, it sounds like baby would only come two days a week, with the sibling (if that). Would you be ok with that, or do you want to keep looking for a family who will commit to more days? (Whether the foster family or another).

When I have an opening, I offer it first to current families who may have a sibling somewhere else. I tell them exactly what the opening is (which days, or which number of days). They get first choice for it, but they donít get to negotiate other terms. The spot is the spot, for them to take or pass. If you donít offer it, I wouldnít even bring it up. If they see a new kid and ask, you can truthfully say that you understood they made other arrangements for the one day they needed from you.
Reply
Cat Herder 05:30 AM 09-10-2020
Personally, I'd just fill the slots with full timers and work towards ending part-time. It has never been worth the stress it creates for the children or the providers.

Routine, structure, enforcing policies and a steady income are the keys to peace in this field.
Reply
284878 08:12 AM 09-10-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Personally, I'd just fill the slots with full timers and work towards ending part-time. It has never been worth the stress it creates for the children or the providers.

Routine, structure, enforcing policies and a steady income are the keys to peace in this field.
Thank you, I did full time and hated it. I figure some one has to do PT.
Reply
284878 08:24 AM 09-10-2020
Originally Posted by PB&J:
If you did offer them the spot, it sounds like baby would only come two days a week, with the sibling (if that). Would you be ok with that, or do you want to keep looking for a family who will commit to more days? (Whether the foster family or another).

When I have an opening, I offer it first to current families who may have a sibling somewhere else. I tell them exactly what the opening is (which days, or which number of days). They get first choice for it, but they donít get to negotiate other terms. The spot is the spot, for them to take or pass. If you donít offer it, I wouldnít even bring it up. If they see a new kid and ask, you can truthfully say that you understood they made other arrangements for the one day they needed from you.
I normally say "it would go to the current family". Even knowing that I did not have space for her DD, she was still referring other families to me, including a dad with an infant.

Currently, I have 3 spots open T-Th and 2 on Monday. (closed on Friday) One of the spots is available for infant, she needs Mon&Wed. (so does the foster family.)

It was not until just before the tour yesterday that it hit me that she may want the spot. Then the tour went well and they wanted the spot. They need to start on Monday.

So now, DCM texted me today asking if I have any openings, she refers people to me so it could be for a coworker or for her dd. I will wait until later to respond but what do I do if it is for her dd?

I hate this.
Reply
Tags:part time care, part time care - not, part time family, part time help, part time infant, part time parents, part time policy, part time rate, part time to full time
Reply Up