Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This A Fair Option?
daycare 12:32 PM 05-20-2011
So I have decided that come sept this year that I will close all part time spots to maximize my earning potential. As well as other reasons

One of my families has two kids here and they are going to be affected by this change. They are really upset about it and have asked me to try to work something out. I have had this family for almost 2 years and would like to keep them, but their P/T sch. Causes me to lose over $1000.00 monthly.
So here is what I was thinking and wanted to know if you guys felt this was fair?

Option A- pay for full time care use as desired, if you cannot afford this option, please consider option B.

Option B-You can find or I will find someone to take your other unused days and you may stay on your P/T sch. However, if your P/T spot causes an opening, then you will be responsible for paying for the open days. Ex: Your child attends Tue-Wed-thur. therefore there are two open days Monday and Friday. If the spot gets filled, then you are not required to pay for it, however, if it’s not filled you will need to pay for the full time spot.

What do you guys think? Is there a better way to do this? What else could I offer?
3kidzmama 12:36 PM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
So I have decided that come sept this year that I will close all part time spots to maximize my earning potential. As well as other reasons

One of my families has two kids here and they are going to be affected by this change. They are really upset about it and have asked me to try to work something out. I have had this family for almost 2 years and would like to keep them, but their P/T sch. Causes me to lose over $1000.00 monthly.
So here is what I was thinking and wanted to know if you guys felt this was fair?

Option A- pay for full time care use as desired, if you cannot afford this option, please consider option B.

Option B-You can find or I will find someone to take your other unused days and you may stay on your P/T sch. However, if your P/T spot causes an opening, then you will be responsible for paying for the open days. Ex: Your child attends Tue-Wed-thur. therefore there are two open days Monday and Friday. If the spot gets filled, then you are not required to pay for it, however, if it’s not filled you will need to pay for the full time spot.

What do you guys think? Is there a better way to do this? What else could I offer?
I honestly would tell them that they either have to begin paying full time or find other childcare arrangements and fill their spots. You have given PLENTY of notice, months of time for them to find alternate care.
JMO
daycare 12:43 PM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by 3kidzmama:
I honestly would tell them that they either have to begin paying full time or find other childcare arrangements and fill their spots. You have given PLENTY of notice, months of time for them to find alternate care.
JMO
lol my husband said the same thing...because we both know that they cant afford full time care cost...
Lilbutterflie 12:44 PM 05-20-2011
I would also tell them to pay for the full time spot or find other arrangements.

The only other alternative to me would be to sign an agreement saying that they can continue to be part time until you've found a full time replacement. Once you've found your full time replacement, they get a two week notice.
DCMom 01:01 PM 05-20-2011
Funny, I was just thinking about this today. I am considering it also, though I haven't said anything to my current clients. I currently have 6 full time and 6 part time. One family with two kids just dropped down to part time.

For me, I want to get rid of my part-timers because the kids are more difficult to deal with. When I sit down and think about what has been stressing me out about daycare lately, it comes down to these part time kids and their parents. My core group of full time families are GREAT, I wouldn't trade them for the world; I guess I would rather have a smaller group of full timers than a larger group that always has changing faces and behavior issues!

My thought is to just cut them loose and start fresh. You have given them plenty of notice and then fill the spots with full time families.

Think about it this way, if their circumstances changed and you didn't fit the bill for them, they wouldn't think twice about finding someone else who did. Our circumstances change too and we can't be all things to all families. You need to do what is best for you.
Blackcat31 01:09 PM 05-20-2011
Personally, I think it is their problem and you are being way nice already with such advanced notice. I know it is hard to make business decisions but don't make it harder on yourself to make one AND try to please daycare parents at the same time. YOU need to do what works for YOU. They will either agree to pay for full time it if they really don't want to lose you or will go elsewhere and if they do you will be free to fill the spaces with full timers.

I faced the same issue a few years back and the two families I had that were like your pt families and both pay me full time rates. One comes full time and one just pays for it and doesn't complain.

All your posts reflect how caring and understanding you are as a person. I am sure your families totally adore that in you and is probably why most of them chose you as a provider but at the same time, your posts tell another story....you let your heart lead you and make things hard for yourself sometimes. I do not mean that as a dig, just that it also seems that you get the short end of the stick because of it too.... kwim?

My honest advice....Do what works for YOU and your business. at the end of the day, you are the only one who can decide and you are the one who has to live with whatever decision you make. Good luck hun!!
Cat Herder 01:41 PM 05-20-2011
Option B sounds too difficult to manage and enforce. I got tired just reading it.

I would stick with "Enrolled Full Time" or "Not Enrolled".

Simple, efficient and allows for the least disruptions to the environment for the children enrolled.

IMHO, it is the best choice for the people actually IN your house 50 hours a week, not the ones who drive away....

That is how I run my program as well, kids needs first.
sharlan 01:53 PM 05-20-2011
If it's your desire to be FT only, then just tell them that and let them go.
MissAnn 02:39 PM 05-20-2011
I would just go ahead and stick with letting go of all part time. If you find someone (2 people because it's 2 part time spots, right?) to take the other days that would work for awhile. Eventually one or the other will back out. So.....would you really be in a position to tell the other part time people they have to leave? You would end up losing 4 kids all at once....right? It just seems like it's an endless cycle with part time. Hey....I am in the same predicament.....I have TWTH brothers too!
Sugar Magnolia 04:39 PM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I would also tell them to pay for the full time spot or find other arrangements.

The only other alternative to me would be to sign an agreement saying that they can continue to be part time until you've found a full time replacement. Once you've found your full time replacement, they get a two week notice.
This is a SUPER alternative!! "Like"
daycare 05:29 PM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
This is a SUPER alternative!! "Like"
I have a heart that melts when it has anything to do with children. I think part of me is afraid to let anyone go becuase of the economy and how hard it has been to even get any clients. Losing the income of these two kids even for one month is a lot. $1200. So this was why i was trying to keep them on and find someone to take the other days... hopefully I will find other clients and my backbone at the same time.
cheerfuldom 06:53 AM 05-21-2011
Do whatever works best for you. The families will find something else and the world will go on. You need your income and your sanity.
Country Kids 08:33 AM 05-21-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have a heart that melts when it has anything to do with children. I think part of me is afraid to let anyone go becuase of the economy and how hard it has been to even get any clients. Losing the income of these two kids even for one month is a lot. $1200. So this was why i was trying to keep them on and find someone to take the other days... hopefully I will find other clients and my backbone at the same time.
WOW!!!! I don't know how much you charge for part-time but that is more than I would make on two full time children. I would love to have part-time chldren and be able to make that much. If you can make that much with two part-timers stay with it until you can absolutely make sure you can refill those spots. It is amazing to me how childcare rates vary around the country. More power to you if you can fill those spots and make more money.
Sunshine44 06:01 AM 05-23-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:

I agree with Lilbutterflie. I would have them sign a new agreement stating they can keep parttime position UNTIL you find a full time replacement and then they will get a two week notice. It would probably be in your best interest that way. No need to keep yourself from earning what you deserve to make them happy.
tulip1969 06:20 AM 05-23-2011
I actually like both of your options. If you really like these kids and parents you should give them the option of finding someone to fill the days they do not come.
morgan24 06:44 AM 05-23-2011
Last school year I juggled 9 in and out. I could only have 6 at a time. I put one on the bus at 11 and got one off. I had another set M-W-Th, another set came on T-F. It wasn't difficult. Daycare kids are hard to come by here right now so I am more accepting of part time. The last couple of years have been the only ones that I have had to do that.

If you want to go to all full time. I would set a date and let dcps take it from there. It will be their choice as to take full time or not. When I do part time I don't look at it like I'm losing x amount of money, I look at it like at least it's not nothing.
DaisyMamma 07:05 AM 05-23-2011
I'm still in the process of opening officially and I'm going to only allow full time from the beginning to avoid this problem.
I think your A & B options are perfect.
laundrymom 09:15 AM 05-23-2011
I recently let 3 part timers who were sharing a slot go and I can't tell you how smoother our days are. Now everyones here everyday and it " works" better.
daycare 09:45 AM 05-23-2011
I was thinking of that too. I teach a program so it's hard when we start a project on Monday but Not everyone is here until Tuesday so I'm always trying to play catch up.

I think full time will be better too just gotta make the move.
lil angels 10:07 AM 05-23-2011
Personally I am not in this for the money only and I like to have the part time kids here it gives a different day everyday. So long as it is all day and they are not coming in at 11 in the morning. I don't think about the money that I am losing out on I like having 4 sometimes and then having 8 it makes the days go by faster to make them all different. Just my thoughts.
daycare 10:21 AM 05-23-2011
I'm in a position will I will be the only one working in my house soon so I will have no choice but to make the most money I can.
lil angels 10:44 AM 05-23-2011
Oh that stinks sorry to hear that.
daycare 10:56 AM 05-23-2011
Well it's not for a bad reason. My husband will be finishing his last two years of medical school and will have to intern and be in school full time. Which means he can't work during that time frame. I will be the only one working.
Tags:part time to full time
Reply Up