Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Songs Into Your Daily Curriculum?
sahdaycaremom 02:27 PM 08-20-2010
Hi..I was wondering if any of you incorporate songs into your daily curriculum? Songs like learning the days of the week and months of the year. I have been doing daycare for almost a year and with school starting I wanted to start a curriculum. Do any of you order children's cd's with these types of learning songs? Also do you know of any "budget friendly" curriculums? Thanks
DCMomOf3 03:18 PM 08-20-2010
I do make sure songs are a part of my curriculum. Some I use from books, some I knew growing up, and others on cd. I've traded songs with other providers too.

I like this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087...ef=oss_product
Former Teacher 03:27 PM 08-20-2010
I sing all the time

The main songs that I sing EVERY day with the little boy I watch are :

The Calendar Song
Rainbow Song
Clean up Song

I sang all the time with my class as well but those 3 are a given every day
Jewels 03:51 PM 08-20-2010
I do the calendar and weather, And sing days of the week and weather songs, and fingerplay songs during circle time......if your looking for something less spendy than MGT and funshine you could look at Carols affordable curriculum, they charge per child, I have used it the past year, And I have liked it, but want to try one of the others so I just ordered funshine, But carols is quite a bit cheaper, And I always add my own stuff to it, I always do Dance time, We do some dances, And then I do circle time, with the calendaer and weather, and songs, then I do some flashcards everyday, I alternate between, spanish, the ABC flashcards with their sounds, and Numbers counting to 100 with the flashcards, And then I would move on to the Curriculum. I dont have CD's for circle time, I sing myself, And I'm a horrible singer, but their kids and they don't care........For dance time though I use CD's
QualiTcare 08:45 PM 08-20-2010
when i was working with preschoolers....95% of what i taught was done through song. it is the BEST way for them to remember info. at that age.

i wouldn't spend any money. i got most of my songs and ideas from when i did my field experience/observations for college......but there are a TON of songs online. there was this one preschool teacher i observed and i was AMAZED at how much her kids knew. they knew more than any of the kindergarteners i had seen up to that point. it was crazy because the kids in her class were the kids who scored the LOWEST on their screening assessment. it was because she used songs to teach EVERYTHING.

days of the week...months of the year.....everything has a song. i've used songs and rhymes with my own kids to help them learn the days of the week, their address, etc.

when assessing kids that age, i've seen them stop and go through a song in their head if i asked them, "what day comes after monday" or something like that. without a song, they wouldn't be able to do it. they DO have to be able to SAY the alphabet instead of sing it and SAY the days of the week when they're in kindergarten - but by the time they get to that point, they should have sang it enough to know it by heart and be able to say it.

my daughter knew about money way before they covered it in kindergarten because i taught her this:

Penny, penny,
Easily spent.
Copper brown
and worth one cent.

Nickel, nickel,
Thick and fat.
You're worth five cents,
I know that.

Dime, dime,
Little and thin.
I remember,
you're worth ten.

Quarter, quarter,
big and bold.
You're worth twenty-five
I am told.

she didnt just recite it. she could identify the coins and tell you their value.

a lot of the best mentors i had used this website to get their songs:

http://www.jmeacham.com/

this lady is a saint. she could make some serious cash if she wanted to, but she shares her ideas just for the heck of it.

if more parents and providers knew how beneficial songs are to kids - they'd all go into kindergarten knowing what they're supposed to know at the END of kindergarten. so, even if you can't sing - do it anyway!
kendallina 06:59 AM 08-21-2010
I do a circle time daily, where we sing songs or talk about our day, play games, etc. Here's a list of some of the songs that we sing:

She'll be coming around the mountain when she comes
5 green and speckled frogs
5 little monkeys (jumping on a bed)
5 little monkeys (swinging in a tree)
Itsy Bitsy Spider
Twinkle twinkle little star
Ring around the rosies
London bridges falling down
Old Macdonald had a farm
Bippity boppity bumble bee
I'm bringing home a baby bumblee bee
The muffin man
Down by the bay
I'm a little teapot
Teddy bear, teddy bear
There's Sunday and there's Monday
ABCs
The ants go marching
Head, shoulders knees and toes
Where is thumbkin
If you're happy and you know it
The farmer in the dell
The hokey pokey
MarinaVanessa 03:29 PM 08-22-2010
We do songs all of the time. These are our favorite ones (we use them on an almost daily basis)

Good Morning Song
Good morning, good morning, good morning to you
Our day is beginning, there's so much to do

Days of the Week (to the tune of Adams Family)
Days of the week (snap, snap)
Days of the week, days of the week, days of the week (snap, snap)
There's Sunday and theres' Monday
There's Tuesday and there's Wednesday
There's Thursday and there's Friday
And there's there's Saturday
Days of the week, days of the week, days of the week (snap, snap)

Months of the Year
January, February, March and April
May and June and July
August, September, October, November ... December
These are the months of the year
Fill them with joy and with cheer
The months of the year
(followed again in spanish)
Enero, Febrero, Marzo, April
Mayo y Junio y Julio
Agosto, Septiembre, Octumbre, Noviembre y Diciembre
Fill them with joy and with cheer
The months of the year

The Clean Up Song (we use trays during snack & mealtimes)
Put your trash on your tray on your tray
Put your trash on your cuz we're going to what
THROW IT AWAY!!

Goodbye Song (spanish)
Clap your hands!(Clap hands.)
Stomp your feet! (Stomp foot.)
Hay que decirle adios a mis amigos. .
Hay que decirle adios a mis amigos.

It is time to say good-bye,
Es tiempo de decir adios.
Es tiempo de decir adios. (Clap.)

Hay que decirle adios a mis amigos. (Wave.)
Adios amigos! (Fist in the air.)
Adios amigos, adios amigos
Hasta manana
TGT09 04:41 PM 08-22-2010
Mine is not necessarily a learning song but it helps to make sure they wash their hands for a longer period. I make them repeat this song twice....once while rubbing the soap all over and once while they are rinsing. (I kind of made up my own tune to it since I can't remember what it's actually suppose to be)

Wash, wash, wash your hands
Wash them nice and clean
Wash them on top,
Wash them on bottom and fingers in between.
Moni_Momma 11:29 PM 08-22-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
Mine is not necessarily a learning song but it helps to make sure they wash their hands for a longer period. I make them repeat this song twice....once while rubbing the soap all over and once while they are rinsing. (I kind of made up my own tune to it since I can't remember what it's actually suppose to be)

Wash, wash, wash your hands
Wash them nice and clean
Wash them on top,
Wash them on bottom and fingers in between.
I just made up a handwashing song recently with my son:

Wash your hands,
get them clean,
wash your hands and in between,
wash your hands,
back to front,
wash your hands and now your done!

I was trying to make it legnthy so he would wash his hands long enough!
DancingQueen 10:17 AM 10-14-2010
My hsuband thinks my buckle up song is innapropriate LOL The kids love it though

tune of "this old man" and meant for 5 point harness...LOL

Buckle ONE
Buckle TWO
Buckle THREE
for you and ME
We've gotta stay safe
when we drive
So that we can stay ALIVE!

My husband thinks the Alive part might make kids think about the opposite of alive. But they love the rhyme and even the ones that fuss always smile when Istart singing it so I'm sticking to it.

top and bottom
top and bottom
in between
in between
rub them all together
rub them all together
now there clean
squeeky clean

and
Sunday Monday HAPPY DAYS
Tuesday Wednesday HAPPY DAYS
Thursday Friday HAPPY DAYS
SATURDAY! WHAT A DAY!
GROOVIN ALL WEEK WITH YOU!!!

My daughter brought the last one home and I got a chuckle out of it so we sing it all the time now
SunflowerMama 11:51 AM 10-14-2010
We do Mother Goose Time and they have some fun days of the week and months of the year songs as well as some others on their circle time CD.

I do a different days of the week (to the tune of the Adams Family) and a months of the year song (different tune) every day in circle. Kids really like them both.
Tags:curriculum, songs
Reply Up