Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Revamping Our Playroom and Need Ideas
cheerfuldom 12:12 PM 10-02-2013
I know I am thinking way ahead here but anyhow, this summer I will have three girls ages 4 to 6, one 3 year old girl, and then two little boys at 18 months. The boys and the 3 year old are both so far, very easy to please and entertain but the older girls, not so much LOL I have another possible child for summer care only and she is 6 as well. I need ideas for what should be included in our daycare room. What would you recommend for young school age girls?

I have a large play kitchen and a big collection of dress up and they like that. I will have daily arts and crafts, a lot of free art time, because they all love that. I will also be incorporating a summer reading and writing program....not sure what but something. I still need more ideas for indoor time though! As much as I really didnt want to do this, I do have a TV set up in the room next to the playroom for minimal use. I will also be working on a small computer area to be used under close supervision!

What else would you recommend? These girls fuss and get into trouble if they are bored. As long as I can keep them busy, all is fine. Plus only the youngest three kids will be napping.

Right now, all the older girls are in school or part time preschool so I can manage but once breaks come along, I know for sure it's going to get crazy here unless I start planning ahead!
spinnymarie 12:17 PM 10-02-2013
My 4-yr-old DD's favorite things are art and dress-up too. Maybe different kinds of dress up areas that you rotate? Dr's office, School, Kitchen, Office, Restaurant...
Any babies/baby related dress up? Or bigger kid dolls? (doll house, barbie (ugh). Or maybe some of those polly pockets for when the little ones are napping?
butterfly 12:21 PM 10-02-2013
Outdoor time. I love being outside, so when I had kids during the summer, we spent almost all day outside. Water play or walked to the park...

Usually the girls I've had love barbies or baby dolls. I'd put them to work with some chores too. Picking up sticks, washing the table after meals, etc, etc.
WImom 12:48 PM 10-02-2013
Smelly Markers - All my 4-5y old girls love them. For some reason it makes drawing more fun!

Some type of bracelet making items.

Have items in your house center to play restaurant, ice cream shop, pet shop, things like that.

Barbies and My Little Pony - my 3-4 year old boys both play with those a lot too.

for nap time maybe set up some learning websites on the computer. Use the computer as a reward for good behavior all morning?
Josiegirl 02:15 PM 10-02-2013
The kids I had this past summer at those ages, loved Littlest Petshop stuff, beads, anything using glue and all my collage materials. My own dds used to love the fuse beads at that age. Stamping, stencils.
Laurel 04:23 PM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I know I am thinking way ahead here but anyhow, this summer I will have three girls ages 4 to 6, one 3 year old girl, and then two little boys at 18 months. The boys and the 3 year old are both so far, very easy to please and entertain but the older girls, not so much LOL I have another possible child for summer care only and she is 6 as well. I need ideas for what should be included in our daycare room. What would you recommend for young school age girls?

I have a large play kitchen and a big collection of dress up and they like that. I will have daily arts and crafts, a lot of free art time, because they all love that. I will also be incorporating a summer reading and writing program....not sure what but something. I still need more ideas for indoor time though! As much as I really didnt want to do this, I do have a TV set up in the room next to the playroom for minimal use. I will also be working on a small computer area to be used under close supervision!

What else would you recommend? These girls fuss and get into trouble if they are bored. As long as I can keep them busy, all is fine. Plus only the youngest three kids will be napping.

Right now, all the older girls are in school or part time preschool so I can manage but once breaks come along, I know for sure it's going to get crazy here unless I start planning ahead!
Get their input. Sit them down with a toy or school supply catalog or have them sit by you at the internet and look through toys. Tell them you are going to look at them but not buy them or possibly they could make a wish list. Ask questions to get some insight. This will just give you some idea of what they like.

With my granddaughter I did that and I would have never guessed one thing that she really loved.

Just a few things I would probably include for indoors:

-jigsaw puzzles
-toy catalogs (they just love to look through them or cut things out)
-I let mine go through my toys and pick out a box full to put in the playroom each week.
-Make believe-as someone said an office, restaurant, bus/train (row of chairs), play library, etc.
-Dressing teddy bears with doll clothes. Making a teddy hospital. Bandaids from dollar store, bandages from rags, etc.
-board games (Candyland, memory games, card games, etc.)
Make your own games or let them make them up.
-I Spy type books. They love to find the things.
-any kind of cooking activity, setting table, sweeping up with dollar store whisk broom and dust pan, wiping tables, dusting, etc.
-arrange artificial flowers in little vases and set around the room

Laurel
misslori50 04:29 PM 10-02-2013
science experiments.
Tons of water play they will all love that.
there is nothing wrong with letting them watch tv. Drives me batty all the pressure other providers put on people for letting the kids watch tv.
Tags:arrangment, decorating, girls, playroom, redesign, school age
Reply Up