Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default More Than One Child With The Same Name

tips? I have a new girl that started today with the same name as another girl here. Never had that before. Do you just call them by their name and initial?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WImom View Post
tips? I have a new girl that started today with the same name as another girl here. Never had that before. Do you just call them by their name and initial?
ask parents if she has a nickname, or come up with one together before you get used to calling her by her real name...quick!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:30 AM

I call them big Susie and little susie.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 AM

My dd's name is Hannah, and I used to have a girl whose name was Anna. They kept telling me I was getting there names confused. I wasn't. They just didn't pay attention Anyway, I just called my dd hannah mae (her first and middle name) to end their confusion.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 AM

I tried the "big" and "little" thing once and a mom complained. She thought I was calling her daughter fat, since I referred to her as "big Brooke"....two Brookes in the same class. We just called them both Brooke, even though it was confusing.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:36 AM

I just add the first letter of the last name as PART of their name... They do it at DD's junior high school, too.

She has 4 friends named Brittany.... Brittany H is my personal fav (although she also answers to "yo, chatterbox!")....
Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 AM

I think adding the first initial of the last name is the most common practice in school but if the name can be shortened or parents have a nickname suggestion I would use that.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 AM

sorry, I should have said they have the same nickname, 'Maddie'. They have different first names...madeline (the new girl) and Madison is the one I've had here about a year. Both parents call them Maddie and their full name is for when they are bad so I'd rather not call them by that name but I guess I may have too.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 AM

Just call them both maddie. even if you pick another name, both will answer to maddie.

I have mason/madison hemi/emery daniel/danielle jayden/aiden I am lucky if i get their names right half the time anyway. I just look at who i am talking to. LOL
Old 01-03-2012, 11:27 AM

I do the last initial as well.....

I used to have

Megan B. and Meagan M.(this one was supposed to be pronounced meeeeeeegan, but it always came out megan anyway) )
Old 01-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

I've used the first initial of their last name, too.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Funnily enough...in 27 years I have never had two kids at the same time with the same name!

I have, however had names that were hard to pronounce.

One was just known as Nani........because her actual name was Nanineolani!!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

I do nick names..and of course let the parents know.

I had in the past

Robbie, Bobbie, Cori, Rori, Lori ..... Try getting all that out of your mouth when you call names....lol
Old 01-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Daycare.com Member

There were one of my daughter and another of my daycare girl have the same names so I called them **** number 1 since she is my oldest daughter and ***** number 2. It works for me.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Where Children Grow

I'd most likely do middle name... or else find a nickname...
Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Daycare.com Member

I would use first & middle name together for both. Like if I had a Lauren & Laurie (two really close names) , I would do Lauren May, and Laurie Anne.

I had two boys with the same very traditional, very common first name with tons of nicknames to which they would both answer. One of them was *******, and called Sasha at home, so we called him Sasha here as well. R u s s i an was edited out...sorry.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 PM

Only problem I have ever had with names was with my husbands siblings when we first got married.

I have one brother.

My husband has SIX sisters and FIVE brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My hubby's name is David...which is funny because ALL of his brothers and sisters have names that end with "ie" or "y".

Danny, Jimmy, Terry, Robbie, Rickie, Debbie, Lyndy, Christie, Wendy, Becky and Amy.

I thought I would NEVER get them all straight! It's been 31 years...so I think I have it down now!!!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 PM

thanks! Yeah the one that's been here for a long time is not liking being called with her name and last initial. Maybe I could try the middle name thing with her instead.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:11 PM

For awhile I had Elliot, Ella, and Eliza. Then my DD Olivia (pretty much the same sound) and my niece Eliana. Later that summer after Eliza left I got Ellie in her place! That was a tricky to figure out names! Now no one's name sounds alike but I still call one name and everyone BUT that child responds
Old 01-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

sorry this is way off track but thought it was funny.

I had a kid come for about a week a few years ago. He was 2 and the rest of my kids were 3 and 4. His name was elliott.... Well the kids had a horrible time trying to say his name and when it came out it sounded like idiot..........lol

Needless to say, mom was not to happy about it at all... I tired to explain, but she was too up tight to understand...so in the end it was a good thing they left only after a week....
Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Daycare.com Member

I rarely call them by their first names unless they have been naughty. I call them peanut, sweetness, baby, honey-bun, love-love, beautiful, and all sorts of other gushy names. Just pick a cute name for her and she will feel extra special.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Unregistered

In one center I had a Mackenzie/Kenzie/Mackinnon/Makenna and they were all girls. I ended up calling one of the girls by her last name and her parents thought it was funny.

In another center, I had 2 Coreys. One I called Corey Fuzz, the other Corey Bobo
Again the parents thought it funny.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Sunshine74

In the preschool room I work in, we have two girls with not only the same first name, but the same last initial! So we were using full last names (they are short enough) but that doesn't work either because we also have another girl with the same first name as one of the last names. Confused yet? So are they.

Sometimes I use their middle names, but I usually just look at who I am calling, or walk to the child I want. And if there is confusion and the wrong child answers, there is always, "not you, the other *****". LOL
Old 01-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Trix are for kids

Haha all of my children have completely different names, yet I can't seem to stop calling them each other's names. It especially becomes a problem when I say: "______, your turn is over, it's ________'s turn now."

Last edited by spud912; 01-04-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 01-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have a Kaylie and a Kaylee and I also have a Jayden(my son) and a Jaden. So far I call one of the Kaylees with her middle name. Jaden is going to start next week so we'll see how it goes. So far it's been quite confusing..
Old 01-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Family Childcare Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundrymom View Post
I call them big Susie and little susie.
How funny, this is exactly what I do too
Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Daycare.com Member

I don't have any kiddos with the same or similar names but three of my six DCM's and I have very similar names. It is weird saying your own name to someone else!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have only had that happen once. I just used her middle name to minimize confusion.
Debbie

Tags
classroom management, names