Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Recruit?
3kidzmama 12:16 PM 03-04-2011
When you first started, how did you get the word out about your daycare? Did you advertise in some way? When I open in June I'm taking a huge risk financially as my family depends on my income. I know there are no guarantees, but it would be nice if I had some ideas of how to go about letting people know ahead of time, ykwim?
SandeeAR 12:19 PM 03-04-2011
I lined up two of my kids before I quit my job. One was a newborn, that I knew the mom and she didn't want to put him in a center.

The other was 18 mos and in a center. Parents wanted kiddo out of the center.
DCMomOf3 12:21 PM 03-04-2011
I would network. Tell the teachers at the local schools, tell friends to put your name out there, contact other home daycares in your area, maybe they are full and can pass your name on, put ads up.

It will take time to fill up, Chances are it will take a while to get that first client and then more time to fill up.
blueclouds29 12:29 PM 03-04-2011
I put an ad up on craigslist and i didn't have one problem. I watch 3 kids (6 months, 9 months and 14 months) from my post on craigslist and i love them and the parents!! I was very fortunate cause i've heard some horror stories from craigslist but my turnout was good :-)
KEG123 12:52 PM 03-04-2011
I've been open for two months with no enrollment. I'm beginning to get really discouraged. The mom of twins is waiting for her state aid paperwork and I did not have her put forth a deposit or anything, so I feel stupid but if it's meant to be it will be.
Meeko 01:05 PM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by 3kidzmama:
When you first started, how did you get the word out about your daycare? Did you advertise in some way? When I open in June I'm taking a huge risk financially as my family depends on my income. I know there are no guarantees, but it would be nice if I had some ideas of how to go about letting people know ahead of time, ykwim?
Check out the local CCRR (Child Care Resource and Referral) if your state has it. They take all you info and put parents in contact with you. I have got many of my day care clients through them. CCRR also do trainings, have a lending library of books about child care etc. I love 'em! (We are in Utah)

Also put up fliers in grocery stores, laundramats etc...wherever they have free bulletin boards. Many local papers have free classifies ads. But honestly....the best thing I have ever done is have my name in the yellow pages under child care. If people move into the area or are looking for something, the yellow pages are the first place they think of. I don't have an ad or anything...just a listing. I went to class who said that an ad doesn't really make that much difference. Parents will go down the list and call everyone to find the best "fit". I pay $19 a month and the phone never stops ringing and I stay full all the time. Bad thing is you have to wait until the next issue of the phone book comes out before you start seeing results. But do it...you won't be sorry.
3kidzmama 03:29 PM 03-04-2011
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice! I definitely plan to put out fliers, and I need to start the word now. The phone book is an idea I hadn't thought of. I will do that as well. I searched my state (AR) and didn't see any type of referral system but I will ask the licensing lady about it next time I talk to her.
SilverSabre25 03:43 PM 03-04-2011
Craigslist, if your local childcare page is pretty active. All but two of my clients have come from there. Facebook--if you have a lot of mommy friends, put out a message that if anyone needs childcare or knows someone who needs it, contact you. Set up a website to refer people to and list it with your FB profile. Or set up a FB page for your childcare and "Share" it with your friends.

I'm all about the Internet I really think that these days most/many people go there first when looking for childcare.
Meeko 03:49 PM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Craigslist, if your local childcare page is pretty active. All but two of my clients have come from there. Facebook--if you have a lot of mommy friends, put out a message that if anyone needs childcare or knows someone who needs it, contact you. Set up a website to refer people to and list it with your FB profile. Or set up a FB page for your childcare and "Share" it with your friends.

I'm all about the Internet I really think that these days most/many people go there first when looking for childcare.
Ditto on the internet. If you do the phone book listing, it will be online too. I have got calls from people who say they have seen great reviews about my day care online. I don't have a clue which parents left them, but I am grateful! It all adds to my advertising! I do my yellow pages listing through DEX and many people look that up online.

Oh and my hubby is doing a web page for our day care. That way, when folks call wanting info, I can direct them to the web site for info, photos etc. He said it's fairly easy to set up...just follow one of the templates available online.

Good luck getting lots of kiddos!
Symphony 05:41 PM 03-04-2011
In my state we can only watch to kids TOTAL, not at a time, total before we have to be licensed. So I was already watching two children, was asked to watch a third and decided to become liscensed then. I had an ad on craigslist and a lot of word of mouth, but I had a waiting list 100% of the time.

Then...we moved. I had to start over in a new town without a lot of contacts. I did get two children pretty quick, one family who worked for our realtor and one family that worked at our kid's new school. From there, I advertised online and in the newspaper. I also met the other women who have daycares and we all send clients each other's way if we are full or someone won't work for whatever reason.

In my experience, it is getting those first couple clients that is the challenge. Then you provide excellent care and word spreads. Good luck, it is an adventure!
Tags:advertising
Reply Up