Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Ever Just Need A Break From Provider-Hood?
rjskids 02:22 PM 08-25-2011
It has been such a long week! And feeling a little guilty about this but...
It was 3:30 when my second to last kid got picked up and the last one is here till 5 (plus my own child). I am just so tired of the sound of children's music, children's tv shows and silence. I needed something else to get thru the rest of this afternoon. SO, I got out a fresh box of toys for the 2 kids to play with and I turned on Rachel Ray. The kids played next to me while I sat on the floor folding a basket of laundry and watching Rachel. I just had to mentally remove myself from daycare and place myself in my home. It's just been one of those days! Will anyone else fess up? Please don't tell me I'm the only one
heyhun77 02:33 PM 08-25-2011
I get this way but I have a scheduled helper in once or twice a week for a few hours so I can have some time to get things done or just breath for a few minutes. During the school year that gives me time to get dinner ready on the nights that we have to eat in the car on the way to activities. I'm currently taking a short internet break from cleaning the floors while she is outside with the kids playing.
sharlan 02:37 PM 08-25-2011
I know that I do.
MommyMuffin 04:22 PM 08-25-2011
I feel that way between 4:00 - 5:00 everyday. I NEVER watch tv shows when dc kids are here...not because I think you should NEVER do it, just because I cant bring myself to do it. I would feel totallly quilty!

But I do laundry, read, and my awful addiction to the computer.
You are not alone. I think everyone even in other occupations takes a mental/physical break from work.
JeanneMI 06:26 PM 08-25-2011
lol...just be careful about what you watch. When my granddaughter was four, her mother was driving her home from Day Care and another car cut them off. Her mother yelled at the other car, and my granddaughter said, "but mom, you should just call Judge Judy." Turns out it was her provider's favorite show.
rjskids 07:21 PM 08-25-2011
My last kid is my niece so I have a little bit of leway as far as professionalism. I made up for it later in the day. After my son went down for his late afternoon nap we had some one on one art time. If it was anybody elses kid I would have been too afraid to in case they came to pick up early. The week just started out so great and productive and I'm feeling myself peetering out! I need to think of something fun tomorrow to make the day go fast.
cheerfuldom 07:58 PM 08-25-2011
I have a helper two days a week.
mismatchedsocks 05:03 AM 08-26-2011
I have an assistant and nap time, and I still feel that after the almost 10 hours of care 5 days a week for 8 kids. Its tiring. Usually between 4-5 is when I will start on dinner for MY family, play wii with my kids, go outside with a book or magazine while MY own kids and the one or two daycare kids just play in the yard. I dont feel at this time ( free time) I have to interact with them SO much, just be there in case.
irishdancer 05:09 AM 08-26-2011
I agree 4-5 is the longest hour ever. I usually bring the kids outside and read a historical fiction book. Right now I am reading Marie Antoinette and I just pretend I am there instead of surrounded by kids running and screaming.
AnythingsPossible 06:02 AM 08-26-2011
I have done that, but only during nap or if I happen to only have infants. I would hate for older ones to go home and say mrs. b was watching such and such today!!
wdmmom 06:03 AM 08-26-2011
Fridays are a different day around here so to swing all the departures, my DCK's all take a late morning/early afternoon nap. Usually 1130am - 2pm. During this time, I am cleaning up from lunch and I'm addicted to watching "Teen Mom". I usually catch it while they are napping. If it's not that, and I have free time, I am watching Pawn Stars, American Pickers or Storage Wars on demand.

I try to catch the only soap I watch while they are eating lunch and if it's really been an awful day, Judge Judy hits my TV at 4 or 430pm.

Other days my TV isn't turned on at all.
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Fridays are a different day around here so to swing all the departures, my DCK's all take a late morning/early afternoon nap. Usually 1130am - 2pm. During this time, I am cleaning up from lunch and I'm addicted to watching "Teen Mom". I usually catch it while they are napping. If it's not that, and I have free time, I am watching Pawn Stars, American Pickers or Storage Wars on demand.

I try to catch the only soap I watch while they are eating lunch and if it's really been an awful day, Judge Judy hits my TV at 4 or 430pm.

Other days my TV isn't turned on at all.
I love Judge Judy! That woman doesn't take no s**t!!

I also love Pawn Stars, American Pickers and Storage Wars but my DH won't let me watch Storage Wars any more because he can't stand Dave and his "Yeeeeeeeeep!". He says it gets stuck in his head all day like a bad song on the radio!!

I followed Teen Mom for a few seasons but haven't had tie for this years new season so I DVR'ed the shows but I keep seeing them add up and I know I will never have that much time to sit and catch up.
PitterPatter 06:17 AM 08-26-2011
I never see TV in real time here. Nap time and a DVR perfect combo when I need a lil TV. Even after dayacre I can't schedule myself to be in front of a certain TV program so I really am thankful for my DVR, otherwise I wouldm't ever see anything.
wdmmom 06:20 AM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I love Judge Judy! That woman doesn't take no s**t!!

I also love Pawn Stars, American Pickers and Storage Wars but my DH won't let me watch Storage Wars any more because he can't stand Dave and his "Yeeeeeeeeep!". He says it gets stuck in his head all day like a bad song on the radio!!

I followed Teen Mom for a few seasons but haven't had tie for this years new season so I DVR'ed the shows but I keep seeing them add up and I know I will never have that much time to sit and catch up.
Dave is a real piece of work. Major @-hole! He drives me nuts too but luckily the other night he only bid on 1 unit so I didn't have to hear that awful "Yeeeeeeeeep!".

This season of Teen Mom is the original cast from 16 & Pregnant. (Macy, Farrah, Amber and Caitlynn). Their kids are all turning 2. It's exciting to see them grow but I still think Amber needs taken out back and beat with a 2*4 until she gets some common sense! I dislike that girl very much!!!!
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Dave is a real piece of work. Major @-hole! He drives me nuts too but luckily the other night he only bid on 1 unit so I didn't have to hear that awful "Yeeeeeeeeep!".

This season of Teen Mom is the original cast from 16 & Pregnant. (Macy, Farrah, Amber and Caitlynn). Their kids are all turning 2. It's exciting to see them grow but I still think Amber needs taken out back and beat with a 2*4 until she gets some common sense! I dislike that girl very much!!!!
I love that they are following Caitlynn and her journey after adoption. She seems to be the most mature of the bunch. I agree that Amber is such a spoiled brat and Gary kinda grates on me too! I think they are made for each other but it is too bad Leah is the one caught in the middle of two really immature parents.

I like Farrah but her mom would be the death of me!! I also like Macy but think she needs to stop listening ot everyone else and do what ever it is to take care of her and Bentley. I've heard Enquirer type rumors that she is letting the fame/money got o her head and has been spotted hanging with the cast of Jersey Shore!!!
MyAngels 07:10 AM 08-26-2011
I'm curious - is Rachel Ray's show inappropriate for kids? I've never seen it, but I thought she was a chef?
PitterPatter 07:51 AM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I'm curious - is Rachel Ray's show inappropriate for kids? I've never seen it, but I thought she was a chef?
It depends on which 1 is being watched. She has a few. Her talk show could be inappropiate depending on what the show consists of each day. Her 30 minute meals is fine. It's just cooking nothing wrong with that. The kids watch me do the same meals at my counter but I still don't watch it until evening on the DVR. Tastey Travels I have only seen once so I don't know much but I assume it too is just about the food.
MyAngels 08:00 AM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
It depends on which 1 is being watched. She has a few. Her talk show could be inappropiate depending on what the show consists of each day. Her 30 minute meals is fine. It's just cooking nothing wrong with that. The kids watch me do the same meals at my counter but I still don't watch it until evening on the DVR. Tastey Travels I have only seen once so I don't know much but I assume it too is just about the food.
Ah, that explains it, thanks! I didn't realize she had a talk show, and I was trying to figure out why watching a cooking show would cause the OP to feel guilty .

The only "adult" programming I watch during the day is normally on HGTV. I have one little guy who wakes up a bit before everyone else, and he oohs and ahhs over "Dear Genevieve." Maybe he will be a designer one day .
Michelle 08:22 AM 08-26-2011
One morning , my dh and I were watching law and order on our dvr before kids arrived and one boy just ran in the house so I told my dh to turn it off because the dck was here and he laughed and said he watches that show with his mom.
Zoe 12:33 PM 08-26-2011
Yesterday as I was sitting down to feed dcb, who is 6months old, his bottle, I turned on the TV and watched Yes, Dear. I have very laid back daycare parents so I don't worry if one of the kids says anything. Don't get me wrong though, I would NEVER watch anything inappropriate and it's a rarity for me to watch something during non-nap hours, but I really needed that time yesterday, so I took it.

Laundry gets folded too You're not alone!
blessedmess8 12:42 PM 08-26-2011
I actually applaud you! We all know how much of a toll this can take on us. And most of us put in a LOT of hours every week. I think it is important for us to know our own limitations. And, c'mon! Rachael Ray is a very benign show! It isn't like you are turning the tube on every day. But, knowing when you need a "breather" is essential for survival and for being a good care provider!
Tags:over burdened, overwhelmed, tired, tired of daycare
Reply Up