Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Do Some Shopping? Which Shelving Should I Buy?
TaylorTots 11:52 AM 01-24-2014
I wanted to do a little changing of the furniture in my daycare.

I have a 6' opening between the kitchen and living room. I want a bookshelf divider that was 4' long so that if I want to easily block off the opening with the baby doll/dress up sterlite cart/dresser thing - if I need to bring non napping children in the kitchen with me.

Do you think this is a good choice? It has the amount of storage I want and isn't bad price wise. Just don't know if I like the 22"/24" height pictured or the 36" height and an extra row of shelving (the school age version) for $20 more. The school age version feels like a HUGE divider in terms of height, know what I mean? I think the back view might look horribly tall and bare from the kitchen

Toddler version $159 --- 22" height
http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...?Product=24537

Preschool version $169 --- 24" height
http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...=24538&rv=True

School Age version $189 --- 36" height
http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...?Product=24550

I realize everyone's layouts are different, but this is my main toy shelving I am replacing with this divider. I care for 4-5 kids so I don't need a lot of shelving. The dramatic play stuff is all in different storage setups and isn't affected by this as well as the train/construction building sets... and our books are on a lakeshore bookcase.
itlw8 11:57 AM 01-24-2014
I for sure would not use the 36 one as a divider unless it is attached to the wall on one end OR you can screw 2 back to back. The risk of tip over is too great. the shorter one is less likely to tip but still should be secured somehow.
butterfly 12:02 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I for sure would not use the 36 one as a divider unless it is attached to the wall on one end OR you can screw 2 back to back. The risk of tip over is too great. the shorter one is less likely to tip but still should be secured somehow.
I agree with securing the 36inch one, but I was actually going to recommend this one over the others since it's less likely to be climbed and sat on.
TwinKristi 12:04 PM 01-24-2014
Yeah I was wondering how you would secure this if using as a divider? I really like those and think I'm going to get a set before too long but mine would be against the wall.
The school aged seems like the best value but could be a tipping hazard for sure.
TaylorTots 12:37 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I agree with securing the 36inch one, but I was actually going to recommend this one over the others since it's less likely to be climbed and sat on.
Whoops! Forgot that - it will be screwed into one side of our wall on studs in multiple places. It'll be secured, regardless the height.

I was worried about climbing/sitting as well. But a higher shelving unit means my toddlers are going to have to try to climb to see what's on that top shelf, kwim?
itlw8 01:39 PM 01-24-2014
I have a double sided one that is 29 inches, high enough they do not sit on it and I can put a fish tank on it. toddlers reach the stuff fine and on top is for kids a bit older mostly books and the fish tank
TwinKristi 01:47 PM 01-24-2014
If it's secured I would do the school age one. It would serve as a better divider and hold more items and also deter the sitting/climbing. Of course you'll have a few monkeys who try at first but will quickly learn.
I cannot wait to refresh some stuff in my daycare! Being so slow it's been hard to justify but now I have a new sign up and one PT bumped to FT so I think it will help move things along!
originalkat 01:49 PM 01-24-2014
I have that exact same shelf that I use for a divider between my Kitchen and dining room. I have the preschool 24" height and it is PERFECT! This is a sturdy, nice looking shelf. The back is finished so it looks good from both sides. None of my kids have ever climbed on it.
You wont regret this purchase!
TaylorTots 02:04 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:

Originally Posted by itlw8:
I have a double sided one that is 29 inches, high enough they do not sit on it and I can put a fish tank on it. toddlers reach the stuff fine and on top is for kids a bit older mostly books and the fish tank
Where did you purchase it? Or what brand is it? That's an uncommon height from where I was looking Thanks!

Originally Posted by originalkat:
I have that exact same shelf that I use for a divider between my Kitchen and dining room. I have the preschool 24" height and it is PERFECT! This is a sturdy, nice looking shelf. The back is finished so it looks good from both sides. None of my kids have ever climbed on it.
You wont regret this purchase!
Yay! Thank you for your input - I love reviews that are for the exact product - and glad the back doesn't look too plan or odd from the back. Great input!!

Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
If it's secured I would do the school age one. It would serve as a better divider and hold more items and also deter the sitting/climbing. Of course you'll have a few monkeys who try at first but will quickly learn.
I cannot wait to refresh some stuff in my daycare! Being so slow it's been hard to justify but now I have a new sign up and one PT bumped to FT so I think it will help move things along!
I'm always at or one from capacity and am so tired of moving everything around to divide the rooms. SO glad for this purchase!
Josiegirl 03:26 PM 01-24-2014
Just want to add that if you think it does look too plain, you could always put posters, etc. on it? I'd go for the tallest. Course I'm always thinking more storage.
Stepping 03:54 PM 01-24-2014
If the back is too plain you can also purchase a felt or whiteboard panel to attach to the back. I bought a felt one that just velcroed on (it's super strong and the kids have never got it off). This brings another use and activity to the divider to keep the kids busy.
racemom 04:07 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Stepping:
If the back is too plain you can also purchase a felt or whiteboard panel to attach to the back. I bought a felt one that just velcroed on (it's super strong and the kids have never got it off). This brings another use and activity to the divider to keep the kids busy.
I was thinking this or chalkboard paint. If its in the kitchen you could do it like restaurant menu board. Another idea paint food group pictures with the words around rhem.
TaylorTots 08:16 AM 01-25-2014
Some great ideas! I have been wanting a place to put our felt boards - even buying some of the adhesive ones would be awesome. Maybe even doing half chalkboard paint, half felt board. Thanks!!
Tags:shelves
Reply Up