Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 AM
trix23's Avatar
trix23 trix23 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 488
Default Unruly ~5 Year Old, Misbehaving All Day

I watch 2 sisters (~2 years and ~5 years) part time. Normally the older one goes to VPK in the mornings and then dad drops off in the afternoons. Last week (spring break) they both came the full day for 2 days. They have both been in my care for about 4 months. The first day was fine. The 2nd day was ungodly. She was breaking every rule: screaming indoors, running, being destructive, climbing ontop of my storage shelves, jumping on the couch, taking all the couch cushions off, etc etc. I told her that these behaviors are not allowed and that she needed to follow the rules. Was knowingly breaking the rules (and laughing about it).

Put her in time out 5 times and told her afterwards that her behavior is not ok. That she needs to... (use walking feet, indoor voices, don't climb indoors, etc). She honestly would've been in time out all day if I was rigid with her and put her in the corner for each incident.

She is very pushy with boundaries and her parents cave into them (I see it at pickup and drop-off) versus me, I have an iron will. She was whining, begging, and even CRYING during naptime/quiet time for me to read her another story (did 8 books that day, 3 Seuss books, so i was done) and wanted more, telling me that she can't read ( she can, just trying to get me to do what she wants). I told her no repeatedly then ignored her after about 5 minutes of this. Went on for 20 minutes then she finally went off and played on her own.

The methods I use don't work on her, as she tries to weasel or talk her way out of the rules here (like wants to take shoes off while outside). I need help!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-25-2017, 12:05 PM
grandmom's Avatar
grandmom grandmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 727
Default

If you're thinking of terminating, and are asking for permission, you have my vote.

Really.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-26-2017, 02:41 AM
trix23's Avatar
trix23 trix23 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 488
Default

I'm really asking for ideas on how to handle the behavior problems. I'm new and need the income, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-26-2017, 02:48 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default



If you are going to keep her then I would put a behaviour plan in place. Have a chat with the parents, explain what your expectations are, what your consequences are, and that after x amount of time outs/behaviours that are excludable, you will be calling for pick up.

I am leaning towards her having outgrown your environment, tbh. I would be advertising to replace.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-26-2017, 09:20 AM
debbiedoeszip's Avatar
debbiedoeszip debbiedoeszip is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trix23 View Post
I watch 2 sisters (~2 years and ~5 years) part time. Normally the older one goes to VPK in the mornings and then dad drops off in the afternoons. Last week (spring break) they both came the full day for 2 days. They have both been in my care for about 4 months. The first day was fine. The 2nd day was ungodly. She was breaking every rule: screaming indoors, running, being destructive, climbing ontop of my storage shelves, jumping on the couch, taking all the couch cushions off, etc etc. I told her that these behaviors are not allowed and that she needed to follow the rules. Was knowingly breaking the rules (and laughing about it).

Put her in time out 5 times and told her afterwards that her behavior is not ok. That she needs to... (use walking feet, indoor voices, don't climb indoors, etc). She honestly would've been in time out all day if I was rigid with her and put her in the corner for each incident.

She is very pushy with boundaries and her parents cave into them (I see it at pickup and drop-off) versus me, I have an iron will. She was whining, begging, and even CRYING during naptime/quiet time for me to read her another story (did 8 books that day, 3 Seuss books, so i was done) and wanted more, telling me that she can't read ( she can, just trying to get me to do what she wants). I told her no repeatedly then ignored her after about 5 minutes of this. Went on for 20 minutes then she finally went off and played on her own.

The methods I use don't work on her, as she tries to weasel or talk her way out of the rules here (like wants to take shoes off while outside). I need help!!
IME, she sounds like she is bored and also needs more physical activity, and you seem to already know that she needs consistent boundaries and consequences. Any chance of spending most of the day outside? Or of bringing lots of physical activity indoors? Maybe dancing, or yoga, or calisthenics disguised as a game (like vigorous simon says or follow the leader)?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-26-2017, 10:16 AM
trix23's Avatar
trix23 trix23 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 488
Default

She's starting kindergarten in the fall so there's an end in sight. And I have 4 kids total, 2 of my own (3y and 6m) and her sister (1.5y). We have outside time 2x a day (45m each time). I cook meals and do story time, art activities, etc so there's not a ton of time left for doing extras, mostly because of the baby.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll see if I can implement some. Another issue is that she's used to tons of one -on-one time and I just can't give that here. School starts in August here.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-27-2017, 11:06 AM
debbiedoeszip's Avatar
debbiedoeszip debbiedoeszip is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 412
Default

I find what also works for me here is giving alternatives (rather than time outs). Ex. "You can't jump on the couch but you can jump as high as you want from the floor." or "You can't rip books, but here's some paper you can rip". Maybe you can find alternatives that will be an acceptable compromise.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-27-2017, 11:10 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip View Post
I find what also works for me here is giving alternatives (rather than time outs). Ex. "You can't jump on the couch but you can jump as high as you want from the floor." or "You can't rip books, but here's some paper you can rip". Maybe you can find alternatives that will be an acceptable compromise.
I agree with giving alternatives.
It helps them make the right choices.

I would do away with second chances until she starts listening to you. Especially with those things you KNOW she already knows.

She's testing boundaries because the other adults in her life allow it so I would shore up my consequences and would be pretty cut/dried until she demonstrates a bit more self-control and an ability to listen and follow rules and directions.

Make sure you let her know your expectations up front.

Reward those that DO listen and follow the rules. EVEN if that means she feels bad when she isn't included in that reward. Sometimes we need to see others doing the right thing or being rewarded for it before it motivates us to do the same.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-27-2017, 11:32 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcaremom View Post


If you are going to keep her then I would put a behaviour plan in place. Have a chat with the parents, explain what your expectations are, what your consequences are, and that after x amount of time outs/behaviours that are excludable, you will be calling for pick up.

I am leaning towards her having outgrown your environment, tbh. I would be advertising to replace.
Absolutely.

But, if you must keep her on then I'd send to the table to do some kind of tabletop activity every time she is being directly defiant. "Oh dear. Looks like you are not listening again. Come sit down and do a puzzle at the table."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist View Post
Absolutely.

But, if you must keep her on then I'd send to the table to do some kind of tabletop activity every time she is being directly defiant. "Oh dear. Looks like you are not listening again. Come sit down and do a puzzle at the table."
I agree...firmness and swift! No need for the corner.....table toys. If she has to be there a lot it's more appropriate.

This is really cruddy behavior for a 5 yr old! Set up expectations upon arrival each day stated in the positive if positive (in a firm voice-I require you to WALK my house or you will save running for outside. Do you understand?). and tell her the consequences.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-04-2017, 04:34 PM
Mom2Two's Avatar
Mom2Two Mom2Two is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: U. S. A.
Posts: 1,239
Default

If you try the quiet activity thing, I'd love to know it if works (meaning, I'd love to know if it makes the situation bearable for you).

I tended an extremely difficult 4 year old dcg and her younger sister one year. The girl was extroverted, smart, loud, physically active, but not very sensitive and also very stubborn and defiant. Mum was puzzlingly patient and also wouldnt' talk about home life.

Dcg hated doing chores, so I used that as a consequence. Time outs didnt' work, because she was smart and imaginative enough that she would willingly stay in time out forever, entertaining herself with her own thoughts or being a pain by calling out stuff.

So at first when I began giving her chores (like cleaning spots off my kitchen cabinet doors or the floor), she would just yell out stuff and be a pain and refuse to do the chore. So then I said she had to stay in time out until she did the chore, but that didn't work.

But then I began having AWESOME FAVORITE activities with the other children right in front of her that she couldn't participate in until she had done her chore. She was so social, extroverted, and physical that she just couldn't stand watching a dance party with ribbons that she wasn't the center of. So she caved. I'd won. She did her chore pronto so she could join the party, and after that she always did her chore right when I said she had to do one, and her behavior also calmed way down, because she knew that she had to obey me or have a consequence that she didn't like.

However...if I had a child like that again, if I couldn't win quickly, I'd term. The problem was that I yelled at her every. single. day. until I figured out what to do to get her respect and cooperation. And yelling is against licensing.

The best thing I got out of this difficult, nine month long experience is that I learned what my limits are. Not doing that again, especially with mom refusing to discuss what she was doing for discipline at home.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5 year old, classroom management, discipline - consistency, misbehavior, terminate - inappropriate behavior, training courses

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Daycare Taxes...Yuck! Miss A Daycare and Taxes 1 02-02-2016 10:49 AM
T/S% Only Was Open for Half a Year Nisaryn Daycare and Taxes 3 01-24-2016 11:03 AM
1 Year Olds' Shrieking Upsets Older Kids - Help! Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 01-12-2016 08:00 AM
Toilet Trained to Move into the 3 Year Old Room? Cindy Parents and Guardians Forum 28 12-11-2014 04:23 AM
DCP's looking for childcare for a year? SunshineMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 05-29-2012 11:26 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:39 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming