Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Revoke Part Time Infant Daycare Offer Letter
Georgiads 06:37 AM 09-27-2016
Hello everyone,

I'm an obsessive reader of this forum but this is my first time posting!

I along with my mother work a home daycare in MA. We were looking for new clients over the summer and offered two families of infants part time spots. the two families would have basically shared one full time spot.

We thought this would be a good idea.

One infant has started and the other is due to start next month.

Unfortunately the first infant is not a good fit. She is 9 months old and accustomed to being held all day. In care she cries unless I am holding her. She refuses milk and sometimes even food. Also her mother is very nervous about her being in care. The child is cared for by grandma 3 days and with us for 2 days because the friend who was watching her previously stopped for whatever reason.

We've decided that this is not a good fit and will term this family.

As luck would have it we interviewed the perfect family with an infant that is looking for full time care.

We are accepting this family and now we need to write a letter to the second part time family to let them know we can no longer care for their daughter.

I'm sorry for their inconvenience however full time is preferred. We did not accept any deposit or even a contract from the part time family yet.

I was looking for help on how to word a letter to revoke the offer.

Thanks for reading! And thanks to everyone for this forum. This is an amazing resource for women (and the men) in this business, I believe that the socialization that we receive as women makes it easier for people to take advantage of us in a business situation. The experiences and encouragement on this forum is inspiring.
CheekyChick 06:49 AM 09-27-2016
I would tell them this...

Your daughter is adorable and we've enjoyed spending this time with her. Unfortunately, we don't feel she has acclimated to a group care setting. You might want to consider a nanny while she is still so young, as she will receive more one-on-one care. I wish you the best in finding the perfect child care setting for your little girl. Sadly, her last day with us will be xx/xx/xxxx.
Blackcat31 07:00 AM 09-27-2016
Originally Posted by Georgiads:
Hello everyone,

I'm an obsessive reader of this forum but this is my first time posting!

I along with my mother work a home daycare in MA. We were looking for new clients over the summer and offered two families of infants part time spots. the two families would have basically shared one full time spot.

We thought this would be a good idea.

One infant has started and the other is due to start next month.

Unfortunately the first infant is not a good fit. She is 9 months old and accustomed to being held all day. In care she cries unless I am holding her. She refuses milk and sometimes even food. Also her mother is very nervous about her being in care. The child is cared for by grandma 3 days and with us for 2 days because the friend who was watching her previously stopped for whatever reason.

We've decided that this is not a good fit and will term this family.

As luck would have it we interviewed the perfect family with an infant that is looking for full time care.

We are accepting this family and now we need to write a letter to the second part time family to let them know we can no longer care for their daughter.

I'm sorry for their inconvenience however full time is preferred. We did not accept any deposit or even a contract from the part time family yet.

I was looking for help on how to word a letter to revoke the offer.

Thanks for reading! And thanks to everyone for this forum. This is an amazing resource for women (and the men) in this business, I believe that the socialization that we receive as women makes it easier for people to take advantage of us in a business situation. The experiences and encouragement on this forum is inspiring.
Dear Potential Family

Unfortunately, we must notify you that we will not be able to offer your child a part time space at ABC Child Care.

Due to an unforeseen situation, part time space is no longer available. If you are still interested in enrolling your child, we can place your family's name on our wait list and provide you with an update as soon as a part time space becomes available.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause your family. Thank you your understanding in this matter.

Sincerely,

ABC Child Care

daycare 08:55 AM 09-27-2016
I like the letter that BC is suggesting.

I have a deposit fee agreement that I require to hold any spot for any family. I won't do it without it and won't hold a spot for longer than 2 weeks. In the contract I do state that should something out of the ordinary occur and we can no longer hold a spot for your family, we will notify you immediately and will refund any fees paid.

Things change so much in this business that I have found it is really hard to hold spots for family for more than a two week time frame.
Georgiads 06:00 AM 09-28-2016
Thanks Daycare, BlackCat31 and CheekyChick for your help. I will send a version of the sample letter today.
Unregistered 10:19 AM 09-28-2016
I would offer the full time spot to the first family. If they still only want part time, you have the new family to default to.
AmyKidsCo 12:20 PM 09-28-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would offer the full time spot to the first family. If they still only want part time, you have the new family to default to.
Ditto. I'd offer the PT family the option of enrolling FT first.
Lil_Diddle 12:31 PM 09-28-2016
while it's not helpful, I just thought I would share and see if I was the only one. I do not provide part time to infants. It's too hard to adjust them to a schedule, and deal with changing out the bedding .
Blackcat31 12:57 PM 09-28-2016
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
while it's not helpful, I just thought I would share and see if I was the only one. I do not provide part time to infants. It's too hard to adjust them to a schedule, and deal with changing out the bedding .
I enroll infants from current families only OR from families that are referred by a current family. Helps eliminate several issues.

I do offer care on a 3, 4 or 5 day a week options, I ONLY offer one flat weekly rate for infants no matter how many days they attend.

I would never take an infant for less than 3 full days.
It's too difficult to create a routine otherwise.
Blackcat31 01:02 PM 09-28-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Ditto. I'd offer the PT family the option of enrolling FT first.
I used to (and kind of still do) offer part time families the option of the full time space FIRST before offering another family space HOWEVER, the issues I've had arise from that policy is that the part time family doesn't want to lose their space so they take the full time space and either attend full time or just pay for it.

....then the behaviors start.

The child does not understand why they now have to attend full time when mom/dad is not working full time or the parent/family has trouble financially affording a full time space when they really don't need one thus creating financial issues for me...

It's hard because I do want to give current families or those that were promised space the first right of refusal but honestly if it came down to a family that needs full time care and one that would be willing to pay for full time although only needing part time, I'd probably go with the family that actually NEEDS full time care.

It makes me feel as if we would both be equally invested that way.
Georgiads 01:44 PM 09-28-2016
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
THIS is what we have learned. We lost several kids that we had with us for many years and this was the first and last time we will deal with part time. Especially with an infant.
Controlled Chaos 02:01 PM 09-28-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I used to (and kind of still do) offer part time families the option of the full time space FIRST before offering another family space HOWEVER, the issues I've had arise from that policy is that the part time family doesn't want to lose their space so they take the full time space and either attend full time or just pay for it.

....then the behaviors start.

The child does not understand why they now have to attend full time when mom/dad is not working full time or the parent/family has trouble financially affording a full time space when they really don't need one thus creating financial issues for me...

It's hard because I do want to give current families or those that were promised space the first right of refusal but honestly if it came down to a family that needs full time care and one that would be willing to pay for full time although only needing part time, I'd probably go with the family that actually NEEDS full time care.

It makes me feel as if we would both be equally invested that way.
I just offered a FT spot to a current PT family, and they are letting me know by Friday - I know it would be a financial strain for them, but thought they had "dibs" I hope they decide whats realistically best for their family.
Tags:backbone, offer, part time help, term letter help
Reply Up