Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lack Of Motor Skills
hoopinglady 04:26 PM 10-25-2011
My new dcb is 2.5 and quite tall for his age. He's more of a "clutz" than me. He misses his chair about half the time when he tries to sit down is very flighty AND pretty reckless...tries to jump off of things, constantly trying to climb and not a lick of gracefulness.

The kids here, for the most part won't jump off something, for example, that they don't have the skills yet to master. I always thought that was pretty cool. Not this kid.

I'd just been pondering Nanny's advice on climbing injuries and liabilities and all of that and this boy comes along, a disaster waiting to happen. (thank you for that eye opener Nanny and the universe, haha)

I have three steps down on my front porch and often we hang out and play on the porch in the late afternoon. I tell them to stay on the porch. This kid kept trying to go down with me saying, "stay on the porch, dear". He somehow steps onto the first step and rolls down the other two on his side scraping his elbows (not bad, thankfully). Earlier in the week he takes a kamikaze leap from the top of the swing set after seeing an older boy do it bit his tongue.

sheesh. This baby needs bubble wrap. I am paranoid now. I hope after a while of being here and working with him he will become more aware and gain more dexterity. I HOPE! He just started a few weeks ago.

In the meantime I just keep a very close eye on him.
KBCsMommy 06:35 PM 10-25-2011
Is he "showing off" his "tricks" for the other kids? Sometimes kids are showing off too. On top of being a clutz!

My son is like that. Hes pretty nimble on his feet, but I hate taking him to the park because he always starts "showing off" for the big boys.
Michael 07:11 PM 10-25-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=motor+skills
Tags:motor skills
Reply Up