Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Biting Policy?
MNMum 12:37 PM 02-28-2013
Background: I have an 18 mo dcg who attends Tues/Thurs, she is with Gma M/W/F. She has always been an intense, fast moving, stubborn personality. She is the one I had major issues getting to nap, and I nearly termed her for that a few months ago (she is now napping fine).

She has now successfully biten other children twice, breaking the skin both times. About 1 mo ago and today. Last week I intercepted a near bite, and again today intercepted a near bite. I have been observing the group. The child she bites doesn't necessarily do anything to the biter, she is just playing near her.

What would you do? Luckily the child she has successfully biten (twice) has reasonable parents. If it had been the other toddler I would already be letting this child go, as her mother would pull her child (fulltime and not aggressive). Should I be warning the parents of the biter that this could lead to termination if it happens again?

I'm not willing to try to segregate the biter permanently and I can't shadow her all the time. This has happened over about a months time.
Willow 12:51 PM 02-28-2013
I think the problem likely lies in the instability of her schedule.

If I were you I'd probably be willing to keep her only if I could have her m-f. I don't think you can fix this when her schedule is so different day to day.

I'd term if the parents can't agree to that and segregating her or having her shadow you isn't an option.
MNMum 02:33 PM 02-28-2013
I wonder if the 2 days per week thing isn't making her life difficult. I think many kids could adjust to this. Mine always did fine in these situations. But this child's personality might not be able to smoothly make the transition each day...

Any one else with thoughts on what they would do?

How long do you "work" on this?
Holiday Park 02:50 PM 02-28-2013
I had a dcg the same age and exactly how you described! I let it go on fr 3 months and finally had to term. I told the bitten dcb's mom that if it happened again the biter would be terminated.
Im glad I told her that because it made it easier to actually do it since I had made that promise. I also had her only two days a week. Mom had her wednesday's, I had her mon&fri's, and gramma's took turns having her tue's&thur's . One of the gramma's babysat a cousin who was doing the biting to her first, and that is where she learned to be aggressive.
Come to find out mom&dad were not so nice themselves when it came time to terminate care. They got really mean&nasty with me and behaved just like bullies toward me. Now I know where she also got tht behavior from too! Never again!
CedarCreek 03:10 PM 02-28-2013
I'm dealing with a two year old biter right now as well. Sigh.

She has been my shadow lately but I made the mistake of walking away from the table at lunch today and she bit the crud out of her 4 year old sister. Looks like she she'll be eating in the kitchen in a high chair until I can get this under control.
daycarediva 03:19 PM 02-28-2013
I have a 3 strikes rule. Never had to term anyone over it though.
Tags:biting, biting policy
Reply Up