Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>23 Month Old Screamer
SunshineMama 07:54 PM 12-06-2014
Thoughts on stopping a screamer?

23 month old screams whenever he doesn't get his way, and always answers "No" to everything. I am at my wits end concerning what to do. I have been leading him to a quiet spot where I told him he could scream. He immediately stops screaming and joins the group, but then will start up again 5 minutes later about something else. Mostly its just screaming the word NO, or just screaming at the top of his lungs. I've tried acknowledging his feelings and talking about why he screams, which helps, but it only helps the current situation, and doesn't prevent future screaming. He is starting to do it in public as well. Today we went for a walk and he didn't like a girl telling him not to walk too close to a manhold cover, so he screamed like a banshee. Thoughts on how to stop this? Is ignoring it a better way to go, or is it too late for that strategy?
Controlled Chaos 10:19 PM 12-06-2014
I have a 3 year old like this He is just starting to get better and I have had him for nearly 6 months.

Hang in there. I know it is so exhausting. I just put him in his quiet spot with a stuffed animal when we are inside and on a walk I would tell him that screaming wasn't going to fix ____(whatever just happened) and then ignore it.
Unregistered 11:57 AM 12-07-2014
I have the same age child with the same problem. Wish I had answers for you! Other than putting it back on the parents to fix what they created I have no other answers to this. It's tough hang in there your not alone I'm in the same boat!
Reply Up