Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding a Spot
Danielle 05:51 PM 04-08-2011
I've been getting quite a few emails from pregnant moms wanting childcare months from now. What do you do in this situation? I was thinking I'd offer the spot with a signed contract and fee to hold the spot. Should it be a one time fee? Monthly? Weekly? How much? I've never had this happen before.
DancingQueen 06:06 PM 04-08-2011
I just went through this and I am currently charging a family 1/4 of the weekly pay due every week.
Most places charge more but I knew they couldn't do it and I didn' want to lose their older child so I sucked it up and made the exception.
grandmom 06:50 PM 04-08-2011
I have always been able to hold the spot because it's closely followed by an infant turning non-infant. However, I just called a family back in who isn't expecting to start till September. I had to cancel my contract with them because 9 of 10 calls I get are for infants and I just couldn't financially hold the spot any longer. In the future, I will put a clause in their contract that says they will have first right of refusal, meaning they pay if the spot comes available and they want to keep the spot.

A bird in the hand is better than one in September.
Abigail 10:18 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
I have always been able to hold the spot because it's closely followed by an infant turning non-infant. However, I just called a family back in who isn't expecting to start till September. I had to cancel my contract with them because 9 of 10 calls I get are for infants and I just couldn't financially hold the spot any longer. In the future, I will put a clause in their contract that says they will have first right of refusal, meaning they pay if the spot comes available and they want to keep the spot.

A bird in the hand is better than one in September.
Did you have a holding fee and did you have to give it back?
Abigail 10:22 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by Danielle:
I've been getting quite a few emails from pregnant moms wanting childcare months from now. What do you do in this situation? I was thinking I'd offer the spot with a signed contract and fee to hold the spot. Should it be a one time fee? Monthly? Weekly? How much? I've never had this happen before.
I would offer the spot with a signed contract and holding fee like you said. If you have many potential clients, I would keep the holding fee at half the regular full time rate--no exceptions because you have too many interested and someone is bound to pay it or else they'll chance it when the time arrives. You should think about how long or how far out you'll hold a spot. I wouldn't want to go over 3 months total, meaning due in 6 weeks and stay home up to 6 weeks. Anything beyond that is too far out. Maybe you will only hold it once the baby is born? It's up to you. I would have them pay weekly on your scheduled date to get them in a routine and also help them remember what they are paying for and not forget about enrolling when they're old enough to attend. Make sure you mention money is non-refundable for any reason and doesn't get applied towards care.
kidkair 06:44 AM 04-09-2011
I offer the parents the ability to hold the spot with a weekly fee. I also offer to place them on an e-mail list to get notices about what spots I have open at the beginning of each month. They can take their chances that way. I always go on a first pay basis and won't hold a spot without payment.
Danielle 06:35 AM 04-10-2011
Thank you ladies! I have one that isn't due until September but wants an interview soon. I have quite a few openings right now...I only have 2 part timers and 1 is moving in 2 weeks. I think I'll tell the mom that I'll keep her updated on my openings and if I start to fill up, I'll give her the option of paying the holding fee. ...that is of course if the interview happens. I've had a lot of interview no shows in the last couple weeks.
kidkair 06:58 AM 04-10-2011
A word of advise for the no shows: Keep track of callers noting time, date, names. That way you can always look over your list if you think you get a repeat. I've heard of providers who have people no show and then call again in a couple weeks and try again. I keep a log myself though I've not had anyone try later. Another thing you can do is have them call to confirm the interview the day of the interview otherwise consider it canceled.
Tags:holding spot, holding spot policy, holding spots
Reply Up