Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Autism
Michelle 04:08 PM 02-20-2011
I have one very difficult autistic dck and a very full house. Is it wrong or against regulations to not accept any more autistic kids? I feel really bad even posting this, it's just these kids need a lot of attention and all the noise really sets them off.
jen 05:25 PM 02-20-2011
Nope, there is absolutely nothing wrong with not acepting special needs kids. We are not all set up to care for them and really, we aren't doing anyone any favors by trying to do something that we simply aren't equipped for.
Autismworld 06:35 PM 02-20-2011
Actually there is something wrong with it. Children with Autism are protected by the ADA... you cannot exclude them due to their disability unless it would cause a financial hardship on you.

Check out this link for a little more information....http://www.pacer.org/publications/adaqa/childcare.asp
QualiTcare 06:38 PM 02-20-2011
i don't know what the limits are for childcare providers, but in public schools (at least here) a teacher can't be assigned more than four children with "special needs" and that includes children with ADD, autism, you name it.

of course teachers have a classroom ratio of appx. 20 students (max) so that's almost 1/4 of them that can have a "special need."

i would call licensing and ask. in reality, you don't have to accept any child and you don't have to give a reason.

i actually wrote a paper in college on "inclusion" where the law says children with special needs have to be included in general ed. classrooms and how (while it sounds good in theory) it's detrimental not only to the child with special needs, but to the rest of the children and the teacher. i am a licensed teacher and i took TWO classes that covered special needs and sat in on ONE classroom session with a special education teacher. i was in NO way prepared to teach children with special needs without taking away from the other children. as a parent - i wouldn't WANT my child being in a classroom with a teacher who wasn't equipped to deal with my child. JMO.
jen 07:10 PM 02-20-2011
Originally Posted by Autismworld:
Actually there is something wrong with it. Children with Autism are protected by the ADA... you cannot exclude them due to their disability unless it would cause a financial hardship on you.

Check out this link for a little more information....http://www.pacer.org/publications/adaqa/childcare.asp
From your link:

Q. Do child care centers have to accept all children with disabilities, no matter what the type or level of disability?

A. No. There are situations where child care providers can legally refuse to accept a child with a disability if the child poses a direct threat to others, or if providing an accommodation would pose an undue hardship on the provider, or fundamentally alter the nature of the program. But each person must be considered on an individual basis. Children with disabilities cannot be excluded merely because they have a disability, or based on myths and stereotypes about that disability. Providers must make good faith efforts to consider each child individually. The most important step is that providers and parents sit down together to discuss what the specific needs of the child are, and then see if they are able to meet those needs. If there are costs involved in making accommodations, providers must analyze whether they would pose an undue burden (significant difficulty or expense). Care providers should remember that there are tax credits or deductions available to help them make these accommodations, and should investigate outside funding in addition to their own resources before they make a final decision on whether or not an accommodation would be an undue burden.

As a home daycare provider who cares for 10 children under school age, 3 under the age of 2. I am not adequately staffed to care for a special needs child. In doing so, I would be unfairly burdened. As stated in the article you posted, I would certainly encourage any provider to discuss the needs of the child, but no one should take a child that they are not adequately prepared to care for.
Michelle 05:45 AM 02-21-2011
Thank you so much, I was really struggling with this, I feel so bad for parents that are trying to find care for their special needs kids.
You guys have been a great help
Kaddidle Care 05:59 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I have one very difficult autistic dck and a very full house. Is it wrong or against regulations to not accept any more autistic kids? I feel really bad even posting this, it's just these kids need a lot of attention and all the noise really sets them off.
A lot of times we don't know the child is Autistic until we have been working with them for a few days. Then we suggest evaluation by a professional.

Did the parents tell you up front that the child is Autistic?

If the regular noise from the other children is setting him/her off and making the child miserable then you have to make a decision that is best for the child. It's probably not a good fit for you even though you obviously care very much for him/her.

If the child is diagnosed Autistic, your local township education program should have something appropriate for the child. They start fairly early, I think it is 3 and up around here.
safechner 06:24 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:

To be honest, it is not right to accept any more autistic kids if you knew he have autism before you took him in your care. If you are planning to let him go and the parents can sue you for discrimination. You might want to think about it twice.

If I were you, I would sit down to discuss with his parents to solve the problems. He should be able to get some help like therapy to come over your house to teach you how to work with him once a week or something like that. If he is now 3 years old and he should be able to get in preschool for free.

I teach my daughter on my own and I refused let anyone to tell me how to do it. I learned to deal with my daughter and I fight for her no matter what. Yes, I was going through h*** with her but I didn't give up on her. Now she is 10 years old and she is very sweet girl like angel. I am doing it all myself. She is happy, that is all matter! She is profoundly deaf and diagnosed with PDD on the Autism Spectrum at 3.
Michelle 06:27 AM 02-21-2011
I have had this child since he was two and he is 4 and a half now.
I suspected on day one he was autistic. (no speech, no eye contact.... I asked his mom to get him tested but she was in denial for 6 months, then her ped. told her to get him tested so after being diagnosed he qualified for an in home special ed teacher that worked with him in his home and mine a couple days a week. That went very well, then he turned 3 and they put him in a half day special ed school where I pick him up now and keep him til 7.

You guys are right about the noise issue. It really sets him off!
I took them all to chuck e cheese one time so that my dh could paint the living room and the loud noise and lights sent him into a screaming, running tailspin.
I came home with a headache and vowed never to do that again.

Thanks for the advise, if he becomes violent towards the other kids, I will term.
Tags:autism
Reply Up