Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Letter Proposal to New Landlord for Daycare
daycare 01:40 PM 05-19-2014
As many of you know, I need to move. So far I have not found a place that will work. The market sucks for rental homes right now and I am still on freak out mode.

I was wondering if anyone has ever written a letter/proposal to explain to the new Landlord that I will be a good tenant with having the child care in the home.

I did find this little blurb on childcare law, but I am certain that they will want to know more.

HOW DO I MAKE MY BUSINESS WELCOME IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD AND FOSTER GOOD RELATIONS WITH MY LANDLORD.

Landlords often confuse a family child care home with a child care center. They have visions of streams of
children disturbing other tenants and running about. However, family child care providers tend to be very
good tenants. You may want to explain to the landlord the nature of your operation:
• Noise. If they worry about noise, offer to keep the children indoors during the morning and evening.
Also, inform them that the license limits the number of children in care.
• Lack of supervision. Children are less likely to be unsupervised in family child care. As a licensed provider,
the tenant is required to constantly supervise the small number of children in her care.27
• Traffic. Explain that there are few families in the program and offer to stagger pickup and drop off times.
• Increased costs. Explain that there will not likely be increased water or energy use because the children
are not being bathed and meals are not prepared for them. Also, offer to observe conservation.
• Wear and tear on the property. Explain that tenants must take good care of the home because they want it to
be an attractive and safe environment, and they are subject to Licensing Board inspections. If a there is
excessive wear or tear the security deposit may be used, when the tenant moves.

What should I include......I am going to ask my current landlord for a reference and I am going to ask some of my neighbors too.

Any other suggestions so that I could keep the new landlord at ease and help to smooth things over so that I can get a house....

Thanks ladies
Michelle 02:06 PM 05-19-2014
awe, I am so sorry
why do you have to move?
Margarete 02:35 PM 05-19-2014
What are the laws for your state? I know in California they don't have legal grounds to not allow it, but it's still a good idea regardless to be on good terms
BrooklynM 02:55 PM 05-19-2014
Have you looked at the house and already met with the landlord? I would do that first , get your foot in the door so to speak before mentioning the daycare. Meeting in person and having that connection makes it much harder to say no to.. Then when you have met, I wouldn't include too much information. I wouldn't oversell it at all. I think if you approach it like it's just what you do, then it allows them to come back with any concerns. If you hit them when all of the reasons it's good to have a daycare and build up your "case" then it may make the landlord second guess you!
daycare 03:10 PM 05-19-2014
THis is the law in my state so they cant use the daycare as a reason not to rent to me, but they can find another reason I am sure....

Most of the properties around here are managed by property management companies, so more than likely I will never get to meet the owner and will need to plea my case to the Property MGT company.

Here is what CA law says about rental.............

Landlords often confuse a family child care home with a child care center. They have visions of streams of
children disturbing other tenants and running about. However, family child care providers tend to be very
good tenants. You may want to explain to the landlord the nature of your operation:
• Noise. If they worry about noise, offer to keep the children indoors during the morning and evening.
Also, inform them that the license limits the number of children in care.
• Lack of supervision. Children are less likely to be unsupervised in family child care. As a licensed provider,
the tenant is required to constantly supervise the small number of children in her care.27
• Traffic. Explain that there are few families in the program and offer to stagger pickup and drop off times.
• Increased costs. Explain that there will not likely be increased water or energy use because the children
are not being bathed and meals are not prepared for them. Also, offer to observe conservation.
• Wear and tear on the property. Explain that tenants must take good care of the home because they want it to
be an attractive and safe environment, and they are subject to Licensing Board inspections. If a there is
excessive wear or tear the security deposit may be used, when the tenant moves
Sugar Magnolia 03:20 PM 05-19-2014
I think letters from your current landlord and current neighbors is your best bet. It shows you're not damaging the property or disturbing neighbors.

"Dear Landlord,

I intend to run a small, in home daycare business on this property. I can assure you that this will not damage your property or disturb neighbors. I have ___ years of experience and conduct my business in a professional manner. My family and clients will treat your hone with the utmost respect and we will not alter the dwelling in any way. Please see the enclosed references from my current landlord and neighbors.
Thank You,
Daycare"

No chance of buying a house? ? ?

Have you considered offering an additional security deposit?
Do you have pets?
spud912 03:47 PM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
Have you looked at the house and already met with the landlord? I would do that first , get your foot in the door so to speak before mentioning the daycare. Meeting in person and having that connection makes it much harder to say no to.. Then when you have met, I wouldn't include too much information. I wouldn't oversell it at all. I think if you approach it like it's just what you do, then it allows them to come back with any concerns. If you hit them when all of the reasons it's good to have a daycare and build up your "case" then it may make the landlord second guess you!
This is what we did with our current rental. We were super nonchalant about the whole thing and I think because we never really made a fuss over it they kind of overlooked it. When we first moved, I was working somewhere else so it was a non-issue, but I did mention that I planned to "watch some children" in the home once I had my second child. We have since renewed the contract on two different occasions, stating my job title as "child care provider" with the house address as the address of my job. Plus, we submitted bank statements as proof of my income. They never questioned it or even asked about it. Every time we renewed, I cringed thinking they were going to end our lease, but they never did.
daycare 03:49 PM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I think letters from your current landlord and current neighbors is your best bet. It shows you're not damaging the property or disturbing neighbors.

"Dear Landlord,

I intend to run a small, in home daycare business on this property. I can assure you that this will not damage your property or disturb neighbors. I have ___ years of experience and conduct my business in a professional manner. My family and clients will treat your hone with the utmost respect and we will not alter the dwelling in any way. Please see the enclosed references from my current landlord and neighbors.
Thank You,
Daycare"

No chance of buying a house? ? ?

Have you considered offering an additional security deposit?
Do you have pets?
we really want to buy a house right now, but housing prices are up. so average SFR 3brm 2bath 1300sf is about $600,-$700. I would need a really big chunk of down payment to make it happen. I did check into it. So far the only thing good that has come out of this is that fact that my husband has agreed to go back to working in the medical field using his degree. YIPPIE..

Thanks sugar, that sounds perfect. I will share with you what I have.

I do have 2 cats that do not have claws and are 100% box trained....
spud912 03:51 PM 05-19-2014
If you do write a letter, explain some of the benefits of having a renter who runs a home daycare (cleaner and better maintained house, more safety conscious, long-term renter, more likely to pay rent on time, etc). Plus, let them know that you do carry an insurance policy and can list the owner on it as well.
daycare 03:51 PM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
This is what we did with our current rental. We were super nonchalant about the whole thing and I think because we never really made a fuss over it they kind of overlooked it. When we first moved, I was working somewhere else so it was a non-issue, but I did mention that I planned to "watch some children" in the home once I had my second child. We have since renewed the contract on two different occasions, stating my job title as "child care provider" with the house address as the address of my job. Plus, we submitted bank statements as proof of my income. They never questioned it or even asked about it. Every time we renewed, I cringed thinking they were going to end our lease, but they never did.
here in CA they cant end or kick you out because you have a childcare.

I have to be very up front about it, I am my families main source of income.

most of the houses we are looking at are very new.

I just thought that if I was to confirm that we will be mindful of certain things as a tenant, it would really help persuade the landlord to not over look us.
Margarete 03:56 PM 05-19-2014
Yes to some of the above comments. It's California so inform/ notify, don't ask. Keeping it short, simple and let them know to contact you if they have any concerns, and you can follow up if needed. I like sugar magnolia's, and you don't need to bring it up until you get passed the initial application process, and they are ready to rent to you.
Margarete 04:02 PM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
here in CA they cant end or kick you out because you have a childcare.

I have to be very up front about it, I am my families main source of income.

most of the houses we are looking at are very new.

I just thought that if I was to confirm that we will be mindful of certain things as a tenant, it would really help persuade the landlord to not over look us.
While I know it's a reality it really annoys me when people discriminate about things they are legally not allowed to discriminate against... running a family child care in a rental in California is one example.
daycare 04:29 PM 05-19-2014
instead of starting a new thread about my drama,

I wanted to ask when do you think I should tell parents? Right now I don't have another house to even move to. Ideally, I am still aiming for a smooth transition of find a house get it inspected, licensed moved and then maybe have to close for one day.

there are so many what ifs....what if I can't get the other place cleared on time, what if I don't find another house in time???

I have not leaked this to anyone and wanted to wait until I had clearance, but if something hickups, then I need to be able to give them 30 day notice as my contract states....
spinnymarie 05:01 PM 05-19-2014
It seems like there might be benefits to telling them asap, yk? Maybe some of them know landlords in the area?

I'd send out a letter for that as well:

Dear ABC Daycare Families
We recently found out that we will be required to move from our current location, by XX date. We are taking every care to ensure that our move to our new location is a seamless transition for your family. We will be working to create an environment just as good, if not better, than our current environment and we aim to be within 1 mile of our current location. Please let us know of any concerns you may have - we aim to keep your best interests at the forefront of our transition.
Sincerely,
ABC Daycare
Luvnmykidz 05:06 PM 05-19-2014
I am renting and running daycare out of my rental property. The points that I expressed to my landlord were basically that I would like to run an in home daycare out of the home. I am a single parent with three kids and this will be my only source of income. I can guarantee that I will not alter your dwelling in any way. I will have liability insurance as well as renters insurance and will list the landlord on it as well. My state requires $300,000.00 for liability(this is what I was told during the registration process) but I decided to have my policy for more. My landlord was impressed with that. I also made sure to mention that the home would be regularly inspected by licensing as well as a fire marshal on a regular basis. The home would also be kept clean and orderly. I stated that my clients as well as myself would respect the neighbors and the community and would be mindful of parking and noise. I listed in my handbook that all clients must be respectful to my community in all ways such as not entering others property, no parking in others areas, and not allow children to enter or leave the premises out of control(loud screaming running). My landlord read over my handbook and policies and said he wanted to make sure that I listed that as well as listed care will be terminated for dangerous behaviors or property damage. I also agree that just speaking to the landlord and getting your foot in the door also helps. My landlord said he was impressed by my professionalism and the fact that when I toured the home my children were well behaved and well mannered and that made his decision much easier. Sorry that was so long. Hopefully it was helpful and good luck on your search for a home. Hoping you find one really soon and it all works out well.
daycare 05:17 PM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
I am renting and running daycare out of my rental property. The points that I expressed to my landlord were basically that I would like to run an in home daycare out of the home. I am a single parent with three kids and this will be my only source of income. I can guarantee that I will not alter your dwelling in any way. I will have liability insurance as well as renters insurance and will list the landlord on it as well. My state requires $300,000.00 for liability(this is what I was told during the registration process) but I decided to have my policy for more. My landlord was impressed with that. I also made sure to mention that the home would be regularly inspected by licensing as well as a fire marshal on a regular basis. The home would also be kept clean and orderly. I stated that my clients as well as myself would respect the neighbors and the community and would be mindful of parking and noise. I listed in my handbook that all clients must be respectful to my community in all ways such as not entering others property, no parking in others areas, and not allow children to enter or leave the premises out of control(loud screaming running). My landlord read over my handbook and policies and said he wanted to make sure that I listed that as well as listed care will be terminated for dangerous behaviors or property damage. I also agree that just speaking to the landlord and getting your foot in the door also helps. My landlord said he was impressed by my professionalism and the fact that when I toured the home my children were well behaved and well mannered and that made his decision much easier. Sorry that was so long. Hopefully it was helpful and good luck on your search for a home. Hoping you find one really soon and it all works out well.
this is exactly what I want to get down on paper before they ask. I want to show them that I am a working professional with an OUTSTANDING business. THis is not Daddy daycare.....

Thank you for that input, I do plan to write something up as well as provide the landlord with my PHB.
snbauser 06:23 PM 05-19-2014
I might also include something about your inspection/violation history to show that you run a reputable licensed business. Something like "I have been a licensed child care provider for the last 20 years without any/significant/serious violations ."
daycare 06:46 PM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I might also include something about your inspection/violation history to show that you run a reputable licensed business. Something like "I have been a licensed child care provider for the last 20 years without any/significant/serious violations ."
Yes I Plan to also show them all of my site visits, I never have had any violations.
CtheLove 07:04 PM 05-19-2014
I have been there before, having to plead my case. But this time I got real lucky with my current landlord. So this time around I was really nervous in letting them know to soon that I wanted to run a home daycare. So when he asked me what kinda of work would I be doing I had a mini panic attack inside and I said working in Childcare and his wife said "Why don't you just do it in the home" I just about fell out of my chair! I later found out it was because she was so impressed at how well behaved my children were.
daycare 07:08 PM 05-19-2014
I do plan to not say anything until I turn in my application.

If they ask at the time I view the home, I will just say I am a teacher. This is true.

I will be meeting only with property MGT so I will put everything down on paper when I hand in my application.
Reply Up