Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Email From FRAC Re: New Rates For Food Program :(
Leigh 11:14 AM 07-27-2017
USDA released today the new reimbursement rates for the Child and Adult Care Food Program.

CACFP Centers, including Afterschool Programs:
Free and reduced rates for centers increased 4 cents per breakfast, 7 cents per lunch or supper, and 2 cents (free rate) and 1 cent (reduced rate) per snack.
Paid rates increased by 1 cent for breakfast, snack, and lunch or supper.

Family Child Care Homes:
Unfortunately, reimbursement rates for family child care homes did not increase:
All Tier I rates remain unchanged.
Tier II breakfast and snack rates remain unchanged and the lunch and supper rate decreased by 1 cent.

Why Didn’t the Family Child Care Reimbursement Rates Increase?

USDA is required to update the reimbursement rates for inflation by using the:

Consumer Price Index for “food away from home” to adjust center rates; and
Consumer Price Index for “food at home” to adjust family child care rates.

The Consumer Price Index for “food away from home” went up (2.3 percent), resulting in higher reimbursement rates for centers.

The Consumer Price Index for “food at home” was nearly unchanged, with only a slight decrease (0.16 percent). Consequently, the rates for family child care homes are mainly unchanged. An increase in reimbursement rates would have more accurately reflected the real costs to providers.

Sponsors Administrative Reimbursement Rates:

Sponsors administrative reimbursement rates increased by $2 per month for the initial 50 homes, and $1 per month for all other categories.

The new reimbursement rates are effective from July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018.

(Rates for the Contiguous States — for Alaska and Hawaii consult the link above.)
284878 11:20 AM 07-27-2017
2017-2018 CACFP Reimbursement Rates

Tier I – All states except AK and HI

Breakfast $1.31
Lunch/supper $2.46
Snack $.73

Tier II – All states except AK and HI

Breakfast $.48
Lunch/supper $1.48
Snack $.20

Tier I Alaska

Breakfast $2.09
Lunch/supper $3.99
Snack $1.19

Tier II Alaska

Breakfast $.74
Lunch/supper $2.40
Snack $.32

Tier I Hawaii

Breakfast $1.52
Lunch/supper $2.88
Snack $.85

Tier II Hawaii

Breakfast $.55
Lunch/supper $1.74 Snack $.23
laundrymom 11:20 AM 07-27-2017
We didn't get a raise but centers did. That makes no more sense than the reasoning behind our decrease last year. Especially now, because the new regs are costing us more to stay in guideline. I'm bitter. So bitter at the double standards.
Blackcat31 11:24 AM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
We didn't get a raise but centers did. That makes no more sense than the reasoning behind our decrease last year. Especially now, because the new regs are costing us more to stay in guideline. I'm bitter. So bitter at the double standards.
Hey no increase in reimbursement is better than a decrease.

IIRC, there was a decrease last year for family child care.

Chalk this up to another move to eradicate family child care and get all kids enrolled in free universal care/preschool.
laundrymom 11:30 AM 07-27-2017
And now I do have to pass costs on to the families.
Which makes me look money hungry in their eyes.
No. My food costs just increased and I have to find the mo way somewhere.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Chalk this up to another move to eradicate family child care and get all kids enrolled in free universal care/preschool.

Blackcat31 11:33 AM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
And now I do have to pass costs on to the families.
Which makes me look money hungry in their eyes.
No. My food costs just increased and I have to find the mo way somewhere.
I stopped offering as much as I used to.

Prior if any child wanted seconds I had enough for everyone to have seconds...now I try hard to make only the required serving sizes and no extra. I fill the void with bread or a roll or something filling like that as it's cheaper than making seconds.

I've also told parents that I am cutting back on the amount of food prepared/offered and that it was up to them to make sure their child had a filling breakfast and dinner as well.

It's either that or have them supply their child's own food (what a nightmare that could be ) or pass the cost onto parents which I don't think I can do as I'm already one of the more expensive programs in our area.
AmyKidsCo 01:13 PM 07-27-2017
ITA that it stinks that group centers got an increase and we didn't - especially when you compare the quality of food provided!

Ditto BC's comment about "them" trying to get all kids into institution instead of home care.

And Ditto BC that she doesn't serve more than the minimum. I do the same - I make the minimum amount (with seconds) for each child, serve water instead of milk for seconds, and don't serve anything that's not reimbursable (pickles, Jello, etc)
flying_babyb 05:20 PM 07-27-2017
Group centers vs family centers food:
Ive worked at both. The smaller family centers had home cooked HEALTHY meals daily. Some of the food my center makes, it makes me wonder. Last night it was pasta covered in mayo with peas, served cold, pears and carrots. Not the worst meal but the kids hate mayo.
Annalee 05:43 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This, plus here they are forcing ALL providers to place all food program submissions for the month online by October. Fewer than 10 percent in my surrounding counties have done so. Many here do not have dependable internet service nor do they have computers. I see many going off the food program in October here unless they change that requirement. Just keep pushing us out
Josiegirl 02:37 AM 07-28-2017
TBH I don't keep the food program rates in mind much and didn't even know that last year's went down. Lol I feed what I feed and get reimbursed what I get reimbursed. I would like to know their reasoning behind no home dc increases versus centers though? Did they state their reasons? Of course, we all know it's because they're trying to get rid of home providers but what are THEIR reasons? Hmmm, something to talk with my food program lady about. With all that said, I still feed the kiddos 2nds if they need or want them. A few dollars isn't worth listening to 'hangry' kids the rest of the day.
Tags:food program
Reply Up