Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing Pick-up Time - WWYD
momofboys 11:48 AM 10-29-2010
A family that I provide care for has always been respectful in notifying me & letting me know about what time they will pick up. They have NEVER picked up late. Their schedule does change though in 8-9 week increments because mom is in nursing school & also works part-time when she is able so dependent on her schedule for school we change the shedule every 9 weeks or so. However, a few things have been bothering me & I was wondering how you would address them. Our latest pick-up time for them is 4:30 & about 99% of the time they are here way before that. But there have been instances where she let me know ahead of time (days in advance) she would drop off late (not until 9:15, normal drop off is 7:00-7:30) & then I was lenient & allowed them to pick up closer to 5:00 (because mom's clinicals were until 7:00 pm - so dad had to pick up). Anyway, I did not see it as too problematic but today is mom's study day & she typically picks up at 3:30 pm. She told me ahead of time that instead of studying today she was going shopping/lunch with a friend. No big deal, I am fine with it. She dropped off at normal time (7:30) & said she would pick up around 3:15-3:30. In the interim (about 1 hr ago) dad calls me to say mom will now not be able to pick up at 3:30 so he will now pick up at 5:00. I agreed half-heartedly but what would be the appropriate way to respond that since you are giving me such late notice you need to pick up by 4:30. How can I word that nicely in the future without sounding like a witch? If she was at school or work I would understand but asking for a late pick up b/c she is out with her friend doesn't bring out the leniency queen in me!
momma2girls 11:52 AM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
A family that I provide care for has always been respectful in notifying me & letting me know about what time they will pick up. They have NEVER picked up late. Their schedule does change though in 8-9 week increments because mom is in nursing school & also works part-time when she is able so dependent on her schedule for school we change the shedule every 9 weeks or so. However, a few things have been bothering me & I was wondering how you would address them. Our latest pick-up time for them is 4:30 & about 99% of the time they are here way before that. But there have been instances where she let me know ahead of time (days in advance) she would drop off late (not until 9:15, normal drop off is 7:00-7:30) & then I was lenient & allowed them to pick up closer to 5:00 (because mom's clinicals were until 7:00 pm - so dad had to pick up). Anyway, I did not see it as too problematic but today is mom's study day & she typically picks up at 3:30 pm. She told me ahead of time that instead of studying today she was going shopping/lunch with a friend. No big deal, I am fine with it. She dropped off at normal time (7:30) & said she would pick up around 3:15-3:30. In the interim (about 1 hr ago) dad calls me to say mom will now not be able to pick up at 3:30 so he will now pick up at 5:00. I agreed half-heartedly but what would be the appropriate way to respond that since you are giving me such late notice you need to pick up by 4:30. How can I word that nicely in the future without sounding like a witch? If she was at school or work I would understand but asking for a late pick up b/c she is out with her friend doesn't bring out the leniency queen in me!
Yes, I have definately learnt the hard way, the more favors you do for someone, the more and more abused you will be!! Take it from me I have been there numerous times myself, til finally I put a stop to it all!!!!!
MarinaVanessa 12:36 PM 10-29-2010
I would just be honest and talk to her (or DCD) at pick-up and just nicely say that usually you don't have a hard time with the kids being picked up at 5pm even though it is an inconvenience because they have a good reason for doing it but that you will not do it for any other reason other than because she is either in school or at work. Say you were caught off guard this time but that it can't happen again.
Tags:pick up time
Reply Up