Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Comparing Rates
fctjc1979 08:14 AM 05-26-2010
How does everyone else go about figuring out what to charge? I tried to go to craig's list to see if I am charging a comparable rate to others in my area but many of them don't list their rates and the ones that do often have rates that vary so differently from one to the other. I'm open 24/7 so I've been charging hourly since most of the families have such odd working schedules, and it's been working fairly well. I know some of you have mentioned that you know other care givers in your area but I haven't lived in this area long enough to have that kind of network.
kdparadise 10:10 AM 05-26-2010
Look on CL at other providers advertising and call them as if you have a child needing care to get their rates. Of course rates will also depend on their quality of care and offering. Neighborhood matters a lot too.
momofboys 10:16 AM 05-26-2010
Originally Posted by fctjc1979:
How does everyone else go about figuring out what to charge? I tried to go to craig's list to see if I am charging a comparable rate to others in my area but many of them don't list their rates and the ones that do often have rates that vary so differently from one to the other. I'm open 24/7 so I've been charging hourly since most of the families have such odd working schedules, and it's been working fairly well. I know some of you have mentioned that you know other care givers in your area but I haven't lived in this area long enough to have that kind of network.
You can always call the ads you see. Let them know you are a local provider & that you are having a hard time determining the "going rate" in your area. Hopefully they will give you some input. Good luck!
kdparadise 10:45 AM 05-26-2010
I like that idea better! Get to know the providers and network. That's actually what I do, but you know what I've never really had convos about that, when I think about it!

Some of the providers I've met are less professional than I'd like to be and when I ask why they decided to do it a certain way their response is, that's how they started doing it or they fell into a schedule like "x" and so that's what they do. Whatever works works!

For me, I'm starting this whole DC business because I was doing computer internet work for years and with my new baby once he hit the 6M mark it was no way possible for me to work at home doing that and be happy spending good play and care time with him, so I was working like a crazy woman with no life on the weekends 2 kids to care for and up in the night trying to get work done and looked and felt a mess and wasn't enjoying my time! I had to make a radical change so I really care about being able to get some free time. Being firm, professional and charging deserved fees and rates is a must in order for me to get what I want!
originalkat 01:04 PM 05-26-2010
I have also found that some on craigs list have websites and then their prices are listed there.

Check with your local Resource and Referral agency. Mine posts the "going rate" for different counties, ages etc... But keep in mind that these may not be what you should really charge. Mine says something like just under $100 per week. I charge $125 and do just fine.
Tags:rates
Reply Up