Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ot
Brooksie 06:01 AM 01-15-2014
What is the deal with Longaberger Baskets? I see them ALL the time on Swap and Sell and people jump on them like hotcakes.
Meeko 07:11 AM 01-15-2014
Wow! I had never heard of them and so went to their website. A ton of waaaaay overpriced baskets etc.

To be honest, I love baskets and use a lot in my decor around my house. I have got every single one at DI....a thrift store here in Utah and I don't think I have ever paid more than about $4 for one....including a big one I use as a hamper in my bedroom. I see no difference in them and the ones on that website. They talk about handmade...blah...blah...etc......but I have had thrift store baskets for years and years.

I am going to guess it's like everything else that gets "fashionable". I have 2 daycare kids that like *** boots. One has the real deal....$100 a pair (I looked them up!) The other kid got her lookalikes at Walmart for about $10. They constantly mix them up because they look the same. They will both outgrow them long before they wear them out....the expensive pair have already had to have the sole glued.

I think there is an awful lot of good marketing and a lot of "The Emperors New Clothes" that goes on and companies cash in on it.
craftymissbeth 07:16 AM 01-15-2014
I had never heard of these either so I looked them up. While they're cute and handmade is always awesome... they're not that great! I looked through their online catalog and had to stop looking when I saw a tiny basket full of clothespins for $79
Happily_wed 07:32 AM 01-15-2014
They have been around for years and are super expensive. My mother in law used to have a couple that she had received as gifts.
NeedaVaca 07:35 AM 01-15-2014
They are expensive because they are highly collectable. Just like anything that is collectable, the value can increase once you buy them.

Also, it's the same concept as paying a fortune for a designer purse. People want the name, that's what you are paying for.
Meeko 08:02 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
They are expensive because they are highly collectable. Just like anything that is collectable, the value can increase once you buy them.

Also, it's the same concept as paying a fortune for a designer purse. People want the name, that's what you are paying for.
I just have never understood that. A purse is a purse. A designer purse holds a bunch of crap just like a cheap one does! I fail to see why some lose change, tampons and old receipts need to be housed in glamour
crazydaycarelady 08:03 AM 01-15-2014
I'd rather have a designer purse.
Brooksie 08:11 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I just have never understood that. A purse is a purse. A designer purse holds a bunch of crap just like a cheap one does! I fail to see why some lose change, tampons and old receipts need to be housed in glamour
So true though. I'm all about a Target special. Never been into the whole designer thing. I look just as good as any one else and my pocket is fatter
daycarediva 09:17 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I'd rather have a designer purse.
me too

I feel like certain things are worth splurging on. I like designer purses and sunglasses, dh just got me started on watches for Christmas. My Mom doesn't care about name brand purses, but she has to have crazy expensive jeans, and brand name towels from bed bath and beyond. My towels are target special.

I buy my baskets at garage sales and thrift stores and use them for everything. It isn't something I am willing to splurge on, but to each his own.
NeedaVaca 09:31 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
me too

I feel like certain things are worth splurging on. I like designer purses and sunglasses, dh just got me started on watches for Christmas. My Mom doesn't care about name brand purses, but she has to have crazy expensive jeans, and brand name towels from bed bath and beyond. My towels are target special.

I buy my baskets at garage sales and thrift stores and use them for everything. It isn't something I am willing to splurge on, but to each his own.
Me three

I am actually VERY frugal but there are certain things I just love and will spend a little extra on. I'm a shoe girl I don't buy them full price, I still shop around for a good deal, or put them on my wish list for my mom (Christmas/Birthday). When I wear my good stuff I FEEL good!
melilley 09:57 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Same here!
spud912 12:52 PM 01-15-2014
Hey we all have our splurges that other people would think are insane . I know I'm a minimalist in many ways....I would never spend a bunch on clothing (I get nicer brands when they are on clearance and have cutoffs as to how much I will spend on an item), I absolutely would not spend money on a purse (my pockets are just as good ), I never wear jewelry, I don't care for shoes, my house is not super decorated, I don't collect anything, etc.

What I do splurge on: my children, daycare stuff (way more than I would like to admit ), conditioner for my hair, coloring my hair (although it has tapered off to twice per year and looks horrid the rest of the time haha!) and gifts for others.
Reply Up