Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do you have a train table??
Crazy8 09:55 AM 10-01-2014
I rearranged my playroom (again, LOL, trying to figure out the best layout!) and wondering about this.

Do you have a train table? Do the kids play with it? How old are they?

Here's the thing… my kids are 3 and under only, I have this small table in my playroom and store the train tracks inside it and the trains in a bin nearby. The top of the table can be used for blocks as well. Its this one: http://www.amazon.com/Kidkraft-2-in-...ft+train+table
Problem is they can't lift the lid of the table by themselves, it gets stuck and then when they try to push it down they are breaking it in the corners. So when they want to play with the tracks I remove the top. Honestly, its so small they don't really play ON it, they take the tracks out and build them on the floor. But 99% of the time they play with the trains without the tracks or the table.

I had one of those canyon step 2 tables and got rid of it a few years ago because I really didn't have the space for it. Now I'm sorry I did, I think maybe that would be something they play with more but even then they'd break the track pieces that snapped in.

So wondering if they are just too young or if the table is too small or poorly designed???
Annalee 09:58 AM 10-01-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I rearranged my playroom (again, LOL, trying to figure out the best layout!) and wondering about this.

Do you have a train table? Do the kids play with it? How old are they?

Here's the thing… my kids are 3 and under only, I have this small table in my playroom and store the train tracks inside it and the trains in a bin nearby. The top of the table can be used for blocks as well. Its this one: http://www.amazon.com/Kidkraft-2-in-...ft+train+table
Problem is they can't lift the lid of the table by themselves, it gets stuck and then when they try to push it down they are breaking it in the corners. So when they want to play with the tracks I remove the top. Honestly, its so small they don't really play ON it, they take the tracks out and build them on the floor. But 99% of the time they play with the trains without the tracks or the table.

I had one of those canyon step 2 tables and got rid of it a few years ago because I really didn't have the space for it. Now I'm sorry I did, I think maybe that would be something they play with more but even then they'd break the track pieces that snapped in.

So wondering if they are just too young or if the table is too small or poorly designed???
I have a train table, but I change out monthly what goes on it...like this month we have different sizes fire trucks for fire safety month....I move the table monthly as well!
Blackcat31 10:01 AM 10-01-2014
I had the same or similar one.

I just got rid of it. Kept the top part of it because the top was a Duplo/Lego plate thing...

I use that for Duplo/Lego play and the kids just use the floor for trains.

The table was too hard to place nicely in the room and became more of a PITA than it was worth.
Country Kids 10:06 AM 10-01-2014
Had to have one, just had to.

Now I have it for sale as it was just to big and akward to have in my room. Especially since I have to have a mini classroom for the stars program.

I just need a bigger house-
Shell 10:09 AM 10-01-2014
I have a beautiful and huge train table that ds built with a large drawer for storage. If ds would have glued the tracks to the table like I asked, I think the kids would play with them daily. But, only the older ones can build a working track, and the younger ones just throw them off the table. They do enjoy playing puzzles, ponies, etc on it. It was a good idea in theory, but the kids don't use it for its intended purpose.
Unregistered 10:12 AM 10-01-2014
My children tend to range from 12 months to late 3's, early 4's. I made a small train table out of small kids table or maybe was a coffee table from a thrift store. Then took an ikea train set and screwed most of the pieces to the table. The narrower table works better for their arm length, and it gets played with more as littles are not just taking it all apart anymore.
Play Care 10:13 AM 10-01-2014
I had the larger model and I sold it. IMO, train tables are toys for families, not day care. Too many parts and pieces, too much arguing over who wants to do what with it, younger kids constantly trying to climb on it, etc. We go to the library and use theirs (and even then the kids play for a few minutes with it and then are done)
Annalee 10:15 AM 10-01-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I just got rid of it. Kept the top part of it because the top was a Duplo/Lego plate thing...

The table was too hard to place nicely in the room and became more of a PITA than it was worth.
My table was my nephews and is 24' by 48' with a lower shelf which works great for my block storage.....stars loves it because we have to have 2 kinds of blocks and 5 kinds of accessories (mix/match different kinds of people, transportation, animals) and it all fits underneath/off the floor but still considered accessible by stars...
Crazy8 11:17 AM 10-01-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

exactly! I just moved mine to the center of the room, which will probably just mean it will be pushed all around (I have 2 furniture pushers now, never in 13 years had this issue before!!!). I was thinking if I keep it I will take the tracks out and glue/screw the top down so the block side is facing up. But then they run cars over that block side and it gives me a headache, LOL!!!

Part of the issue is its too small to actually build a good track on - when they build a track its usually just all over the floor - not an actual loop of any kind!
KiddieCahoots 11:31 AM 10-01-2014
I have something like this one with the trundle drawers on the bottom.
I have hot glue gunned the tracks down, added a lightning McQueen garage with the spiral declining road to the middle, and honestly it's one of the biggest played with toys here, and I have a ton of toys.
Occasionally I'll have a new child that will try to climb on it, until I teach them not to. And I do not allow the oral explorers near it because of small choking pieces. And then I have to tidy it up every day cause it's always messed up with all the trains, cars, and planes, but other than that....I love it!

http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-Ride-...ds=train+table
Crazy8 06:40 PM 10-01-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I have something like this one with the trundle drawers on the bottom.
I have hot glue gunned the tracks down, added a lightning McQueen garage with the spiral declining road to the middle, and honestly it's one of the biggest played with toys here, and I have a ton of toys.
Occasionally I'll have a new child that will try to climb on it, until I teach them not to. And I do not allow the oral explorers near it because of small choking pieces. And then I have to tidy it up every day cause it's always messed up with all the trains, cars, and planes, but other than that....I love it!

http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-Ride-...ds=train+table
that's great that they love it!!! I think mine is so small that it is just boring. You can't really build anything more than a basic figure 8 on it. My kids LOVE to play with cars more than trains so I am really kicking myself for getting rid of the Step 2 Canyon one I had. It was my son's and I tried it in the playroom for a bit but there wasn't much space for it and I ended up selling it at a garage sale at a fraction of what it would cost to buy another one now. The way I have the room now I could probably fit it.
sahm1225 07:14 PM 10-01-2014
I have one similar to kiddie cahoots. We hot glued and screwed in the pieces. Then underneath I have two milk crates that I store the trains in.

My kids are infants to 5 & the ones that okay with it the most are the 2-3
Year olds.
Josiegirl 04:30 AM 10-02-2014
I bought a rather large homemade one at a yard sale, it was sturdy with 2 rolling bins underneath. It was great, except I really didn't have the room for it, plus mostly what they did was empty the bins and sit in them or stand on top of the table. I resold it.
TwinKristi 01:52 PM 10-02-2014
We have one and love it. We use it for all sorts of things though not just trains. I found mind used for $50 and the top is kinda tore up but we're going to paint it or find new pieces to use soon. Wiping it down with cleaner broke down the coating on top and the previous owners glued the train tracks to the other side so it's not any better LOL I highly recommend one with storage underneath. You can rotate bins monthly or something. I'm in the process of moving and have lots of great ideas for when I set things up at my new place. Revamping the train table will be one of them!!
Reply Up