Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Explosive Diarrhea..
daycare 02:19 PM 10-04-2012
I have a DCB 20 months who has been teething lately, and today just exploded through his diaper so bad I had to give him a bath.

I hardly ever deal with kids teething and was not sure if this could be related to the teething or not. When I tried to google it, I found sites saying that it was a myth and sites saying that loose stools occur. I would not classify that this bout of diarrhea a lose stool, it was straight poo poo water

I figured I would stop google searching and ask those of you who deal with this stuff daily....

anyone know about this??
Blackcat31 02:36 PM 10-04-2012
I NEVER concern myself with causes only symptoms.

If a child had diarrhea while in my care, I send them home. period.

fwiw~ Diarrhea defined in my care is two or more loose (or out of the ordinary) stools in one day.
daycare 02:38 PM 10-04-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I NEVER concern myself with causes only symptoms.

If a child had diarrhea while in my care, I send them home. period.

fwiw~ Diarrhea defined in my care is two or more loose (or out of the ordinary) stools in one day.
I have the same policy, but I was just going to prepare myself for what I know DCP is going to say...
Blackcat31 02:42 PM 10-04-2012
That IS what I reply regardless of what DCP says.

They can blame it on anything they want. I just keep repeating that I am only concerned about symptoms not causes. If he/she has diarrhea 2 or more times in one day, they will be sent home per my policies.
daycare 02:45 PM 10-04-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That IS what I reply regardless of what DCP says.

They can blame it on anything they want. I just keep repeating that I am only concerned about symptoms not causes. If he/she has diarrhea 2 or more times in one day, they will be sent home per my policies.
lol I know what you are saying and I too could care less if it was caused cuz he stuck a bean up his nose....

I guess I need to learn to explain it the way you are...I am not really too concerned what caused it, only concerned about the symptom....loll am I getting it right yet??
lovemykidstoo 02:46 PM 10-04-2012
people blame so much on teething. They say that fevers, diarreah, runny noses are all caused by teething. I'm not convinced at all.
Country Kids 03:11 PM 10-04-2012
I'm so sorry you are going through this and I have no help but do have a story for you.

This story still make me laugh so hard I cry.

I'm at an appt. and just arrive when my cell phone rings. My sub is on the phone and all I hear is explosive diarrehea. I instantly start busting up and all I can here is "Its not funny, what do I do!!!!????" Trying to maintain composer, I ask whats going on and loose it from laughing so hard. "Well ****** has explosive diarehha, is holding on to the wall while on the toilet and asking me to help them." This was to much for me and I told them I would call them back. My stomach hurt from laughing so much and hard.

Maintaining composer a few minutes later, I call back and talking to my sub, ask them to tell me exactly what happened. Sub relays child is on toilet, going to the bathroom, and seems to be done. It was the only episode of the day thank goodness. Found out later the child has been over eating fruit at home for two days!

The only reason I was laughing so hard and still do is just listening to my subs voice on the phone and picturing this all in my mind. The parents were even hysterically laughing about all this and in their minds picturing the child hanging on the wall, saying "Help, me"!
daycare 03:16 PM 10-04-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm so sorry you are going through this and I have no help but do have a story for you.

This story still make me laugh so hard I cry.

I'm at an appt. and just arrive when my cell phone rings. My sub is on the phone and all I hear is explosive diarrehea. I instantly start busting up and all I can here is "Its not funny, what do I do!!!!????" Trying to maintain composer, I ask whats going on and loose it from laughing so hard. "Well ****** has explosive diarehha, is holding on to the wall while on the toilet and asking me to help them." This was to much for me and I told them I would call them back. My stomach hurt from laughing so much and hard.

Maintaining composer a few minutes later, I call back and talking to my sub, ask them to tell me exactly what happened. Sub relays child is on toilet, going to the bathroom, and seems to be done. It was the only episode of the day thank goodness. Found out later the child has been over eating fruit at home for two days!

The only reason I was laughing so hard and still do is just listening to my subs voice on the phone and picturing this all in my mind. The parents were even hysterically laughing about all this and in their minds picturing the child hanging on the wall, saying "Help, me"!
lol...sorry but that is pretty darn funhy...all i can say is thank goodness for me having boxes and boxes of latex gloves on hand.............I wanted to puke
countrymom 05:36 PM 10-04-2012
I will 100% postive that they gave him medication. I know that when the kiddies start exploding its because they were medicated.
daycare 05:52 PM 10-04-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I will 100% postive that they gave him medication. I know that when the kiddies start exploding its because they were medicated.
Your post has me in stitches. It just sounded so funny when I read it.

Well I just found out that dcg sister had it last night. Boy am I not happy. And they were both here
canadiancare 05:56 PM 10-04-2012
I know it is too late to help for today but because stool is so difficult to contain when it is loose and because you can't be sure it isn't related to a gastro infection you need to feel comfortable sending the child home. I have a mum who continually tells me her child's loose and frequent stools are related to teething and it is completely possible that it is BUT I can't risk an outbreak with 5 others in diapers and so I follow the exclusion policy for children with diarrhea.

Hand washing and disinfecting are important, too but you can't be risking the other kids in your care to convenience a parent.
Meyou 07:24 AM 10-05-2012
IMO the cause doesn't matter. If you can't contain the feces in a diaper then it isn't safe for everyone else to have the child in care.
SunshineMama 08:05 AM 10-05-2012
It doesnt mater "why" it matters that it "is."

Theres no way to tell the source- you arent a dr. and it would have to be sent to a lab and tested. I can almost promise you it is not teething though. I went through that excuse with a family- turned out the kid had rotovirus, and infected everyone. The parents still only called it "loose stools due to teething." I termed.
littlemissmuffet 08:20 AM 10-05-2012
Teething DOES NOT cause diarhea - most health care professionals will agree. I don't accept teething as an excuse for anything. I have a handout regarding teething and it's TRUE symptoms, including what symptoms it does not include - I gathered the information from a bunch of different resources, I'll PM it to you to have a read through! I give this handout to all parents who blame teething for diarhea, fevers, etc.
littlemissmuffet 08:23 AM 10-05-2012
It's a word document... so I'd actually have to email it!
daycare 09:00 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
It's a word document... so I'd actually have to email it!
you rock.... I need to now add this stuff in my PHB... Usually my kids are 2 and over, so teething is not something that I usually deal with.
littlemissmuffet 09:55 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
you rock.... I need to now add this stuff in my PHB... Usually my kids are 2 and over, so teething is not something that I usually deal with.
Sent.

And lucky you! I have had parents of FIVE YEAR OLDS tell me their child's diarrhea was due to teething
Tags:diarreaha, teething
Reply Up