Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>24 Month Old And Gun Play
WImom 11:06 AM 09-09-2013
I have a new DCB that really shocked me the other day. One of the kids was playing legos and made something that looked like a gun but he wasn't using it as that. My new DCB 24 months old picked it up and aimed it at the other boy and said "Bang, Bang". I was in shock! REALLY, 24 months old and I have to have this problem?! I've only had two other boys in my DC that I've had to talk to them about this and they were 3.5 and 4y and they didn't even aim their at someone. How the heck is this 24 month old going to understand my rule of NO GUN PLAY! He is the most curious/busy child I've ever had here who also puts EVERYTHING in his mouth! I don't think he will understand he can do it at home but not here!

After this happened two more times (He's been with me for a week). I am sending home the section of my handbook highlighted talking about my zero tolarance for this. I really don't know what I'm going to say when mom talks to me about this after seeing the note. I feel I may say something not so business like about him being 24 months old!!
cheerfuldom 11:14 AM 09-09-2013
I personally think you are over reacting. I do agree that perhaps a small discussion about what you have seen or a reminder about your policy is in order but please dont make these parents feel like they are horrible parents because their child is showing some play like this. It doesnt surprise me at all to hear that a 2 year old is showing this behavior. Most of my daycare kids try it at some point between 2 and 4 years old and I just remind them gently that we dont play games like that and redirect them to something they are allowed to do. We dont have toy guns and I dont allow the kids to make guns out of blocks and stuff. BUT I also wouldnt over react if I saw a child showing this kind of play.
WImom 11:24 AM 09-09-2013
If he was closer to three or older I wouldn't have been shocked. But I guess 24months is what shocked me and pointing it at other kids and at my face at one point. The other kids in care did not like that he was doing that either which also bothered me. Maybe because I have girls of my own and most of the boys I've had here have been pretty mellow. They have just been into super hero stuff which I allow as long as everyone is the good heros and all of these boys have been over age 3y when they started to show interest in this type of play.

I'll wait another week to speak to mom about it. But if he isn't understanding it's not allowed here she is going to have to work on it at home.
Willow 11:37 AM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I personally think you are over reacting. I do agree that perhaps a small discussion about what you have seen or a reminder about your policy is in order but please dont make these parents feel like they are horrible parents because their child is showing some play like this. It doesnt surprise me at all to hear that a 2 year old is showing this behavior. Most of my daycare kids try it at some point between 2 and 4 years old and I just remind them gently that we dont play games like that and redirect them to something they are allowed to do. We dont have toy guns and I dont allow the kids to make guns out of blocks and stuff. BUT I also wouldnt over react if I saw a child showing this kind of play.
Agree.

Redirection should be all that's needed to curb it. Maybe mention it to mom so she can keep a better eye on what he's seeing at home but other than that.....

We are a huge hunting family. With bow and waterfowl season just around the corner that's what's on tv near non stop. Although I'm not an advocate of gun play in regards to person vs person shooting I will absolutely encourage the littles in our family to emulate safe and appropriate "play" shooting of animals. I'm hoping that since you are in WI and your seasons are set to begin soon too that it's just the crossover excitement coming from avid hunters in his family (as opposed to violent junk video games).
Meeko 12:50 PM 09-09-2013
Sad. I would be shocked too.

I will never understand why kids are allowed to pretend that killing someone is FUN.

I have a strict no gun policy. With all the thousands of things they can build and play...why a weapon?

Would we let the kids play 'let's poisonous gas each other' or "let's hack each other to bits"? In my mind it's the same thing. Killing another human is killing another human. One way isn't "nicer" or "more acceptable" than another. Certainly not fun.

JMO
Meeko 12:53 PM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Agree.

Redirection should be all that's needed to curb it. Maybe mention it to mom so she can keep a better eye on what he's seeing at home but other than that.....

We are a huge hunting family. With bow and waterfowl season just around the corner that's what's on tv near non stop. Although I'm not an advocate of gun play in regards to person vs person shooting I will absolutely encourage the littles in our family to emulate safe and appropriate "play" shooting of animals. I'm hoping that since you are in WI and your seasons are set to begin soon too that it's just the crossover excitement coming from avid hunters in his family (as opposed to violent junk video games).
I have several kids in care who's parents are avid hunters. That I understand. Not my idea of fun...but I accept it. BUT...I have kids in care who want to pretend to kill each other. Not an elk or such. Another person. I find it horrible.
Willow 01:03 PM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I have several kids in care who's parents are avid hunters. That I understand. Not my idea of fun...but I accept it. BUT...I have kids in care who want to pretend to kill each other. Not an elk or such. Another person. I find it horrible.
I don't disagree with you there.

That would definitely cross a hard line for me too.
Hunni Bee 08:10 PM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Sad. I would be shocked too.

I will never understand why kids are allowed to pretend that killing someone is FUN.

I have a strict no gun policy. With all the thousands of things they can build and play...why a weapon?

Would we let the kids play 'let's poisonous gas each other' or "let's hack each other to bits"? In my mind it's the same thing. Killing another human is killing another human. One way isn't "nicer" or "more acceptable" than another. Certainly not fun.

JMO
I agree.

I will never agree with it nor allow it.

I've seen so much gun/killing play at both jobs. We don't have hunting here, but we do have lots of murders and robberies .

Then I see pictures of 6 year old girls on Facebook playing Call of Duty (for anyone who doesn't know its an extremely violent military-based video game)
kimmills 09:38 PM 09-09-2013
He's probably seen something on TV or something. He's still very small and he can get over it very soon once he's kept away from violent TV shows or games. Even cartoons have that influence, more I think. Don't be too stressed at the first instance, just make sure you get yourself across in a nice way. I don't think we have a criminal in the making here. He's just a child and he can be moulded. Kids imitate and he's imitating something that he's seen.
Unregistered 07:27 AM 09-10-2013
I dont allow kids to point guns at each other. I use it as a teachable moment on gun safety. Point it down, never at people, its ok to shoot monsters, but make sure your friends arent in the way. I see no reason to act like theres something wrong with the child- use the situation to your advantage and teach
Willow 07:29 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I dont allow kids to point guns at each other. I use it as a teachable moment on gun safety. Point it down, never at people, its ok to shoot monsters, but make sure your friends arent in the way. I see no reason to act like theres something wrong with the child- use the situation to your advantage and teach

Heidi 07:37 AM 09-10-2013
I would simply go with the "guns are not allowed at school" statement.

If I saw it again, I'd say kindly..."oops, dcb, looks like you forgot...no guns at school!"

I had a couple little girls pretend to smoke one day (they were 4), and I said the same thing. Of course, they said "but mom smokes..."

I said, "well, you mommy is an adult, and she makes her own choices. But, at my house, even your mommy isn't allowed to smoke". That seemed to satisfy them.
Tags:gun play
Reply Up