Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>rayray
Unregistered 07:08 PM 07-15-2014
Rayrays parents are on cnn right now.
midaycare 07:50 PM 07-15-2014
Is that the story about the boy who was in the basement?
jenboo 08:04 PM 07-15-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Is that the story about the boy who was in the basement?
It's the one where the dad left the girl in the car... There was a thread about it recently. Rayrays pledge. I think the parents want it to be mandatory for daycare workers to call if a child doesn't show up on time.
Michael 12:22 AM 07-16-2014
This was the earlier thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72234
Meyou 01:57 AM 07-16-2014
I text everyone who hasn't arrived by 9 to make sure everything is ok. I started doing this years ago after another child lost their life after being left in a car.
midaycare 04:40 AM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
It's the one where the dad left the girl in the car... There was a thread about it recently. Rayrays pledge. I think the parents want it to be mandatory for daycare workers to call if a child doesn't show up on time.
I'm getting my news mixed up! I can see both sides of it, but I sure don't want to be held responsible for manslaughter if I forget to call.
NightOwl 04:55 AM 07-16-2014
I can't find anything about this on cnn's website.
Unregistered 07:28 AM 07-16-2014
They were on for a short segment. They told their story. Showed their website. No blame was placed. I did not hear anything about dcps pledging to call, just a parental pledge.
Unregistered 07:33 AM 07-16-2014
http://www.cnn.com/video/standard.ht...G4l1HF%26s%3D1
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
They were on for a short segment. They told their story. Showed their website. No blame was placed. I did not hear anything about dcps pledging to call, just a parental pledge.
The whole point of Ray Ray's Pledge IS for teachers and providers to call if the child is absent or doesnt show up.

Cavaliero and his wife want to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else, so they started Ray Ray's Pledge.

"It's a dual commitment to safety surrounding that drop off time between parents and teachers at the childcare center where the parent will call if the child is going to be late or absent for any reason but should a child not arrive on time that parent will call one or both parents immediately to determine that child's whereabouts," said Ray Ray's mom

nannyde 08:57 AM 07-16-2014
I won't be signing that. I would rather see a pledge where family and friends call daily to check with parents to make sure the parent dropped off.
Blackcat31 09:04 AM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I won't be signing that. I would rather see a pledge where family and friends call daily to check with parents to make sure the parent dropped off.
I hate how they say "Forgotten daycare drop offs is the #1 source of child hot car deaths"...how does that NOT imply the child care plays a role in this?!?!?
coolconfidentme 09:05 AM 07-16-2014
I really don't want that responsibility put on me. I am responsible when the ARE here rather than when they aren't. Mom should be texting dad to see if baby made it to DC.

ps..., When I do text a parent to see where little XX is, sometimes it takes hours for them to reply.
coolconfidentme 09:07 AM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I hate how they say "Forgotten daycare drop offs is the #1 source of child hot car deaths"...how does that NOT imply the child care plays a role in this?!?!?
The number #1 source/cause is parent's inattentiveness unfortunately.
hope 10:33 AM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
The number #1 source/cause is parent's inattentiveness unfortunately.
Absolutely. This is frightening. I can't imagine being legally responsible for our dcks when they are not even in our care!
rebekki78 12:32 PM 07-16-2014
Wow, I missed this whole story. I, too, do not want this responsibility on my shoulders. I understand why it would help if a provider made the call/text, but don't think it should be required. Like the other said, it is parental irresponsibility. But also if I can help save a life by simply sending a text message then that is a big deal. I don't always send messages when children don't show up but I never even though of it being because the parent forgot to drop of child.

My mom did this once when all 3 of us were in the back seat. She got to work and someone walking by laughed at her because we were still in the car. She had to turn around and go drop of off. She simply forgot. I can totally see how a parent could do this at 6 am in the morning, underslept, over worked, over tired, not full of coffee...I am not giving any excuses but it is reality.
Baby lady 12:50 PM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I really don't want that responsibility put on me. I am responsible when the ARE here rather than when they aren't. Mom should be texting dad to see if baby made it to DC.

ps..., When I do text a parent to see where little XX is, sometimes it takes hours for them to reply.
Originally Posted by hope:
Absolutely. This is frightening. I can't imagine being legally responsible for our dcks when they are not even in our care!
I've got some families that always let me know when the kid's not coming, and some that never do. No way do I want to be responsible for keeping track of where they are when they're not here!
Chellieleanne 12:56 PM 07-16-2014
No way. Not my responsibility when the child is not in my care. Not to say I don't check up when a child is not here when they are supposed to be but still, it is not my responsibility until the child walks in my door. I just don't understand how you can forget your child anyway. They are such a big change in your life, even when I had an 18 month old and newborn and having post partum issues there was no way on this Earth I would forget either one in the car.
Country Kids 01:08 PM 07-16-2014
Our school district-possibly the state now has to call students homes if students do not show up for school and parents have not called in.

This stemmed from a child being kidnapped before school and no one remembering who saw the child or when.

It may fall under something like that-instead of schools, childcares.
nannyde 02:02 PM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Our school district-possibly the state now has to call students homes if students do not show up for school and parents have not called in.

This stemmed from a child being kidnapped before school and no one remembering who saw the child or when.

It may fall under something like that-instead of schools, childcares.
Schools are so different in that they have a start time and a dedicated adult taking attendance each period. They also have automated calling.

I think this would be hell at a center. Having a turnover of four adults per slot for staff assistants. I would imagine most don't even get the kids names down in the upper classes before they quit. Having multiple staff each day and in different shifts... way too much liability. A center owner is a fool to pledge because the pledge may bite them in the butt if a kid dies. Also, I can see it being a complaint if they don't do it and promised or pledged to mew parents they would...
Country Kids 09:59 PM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Schools are so different in that they have a start time and a dedicated adult taking attendance each period. They also have automated calling.

I think this would be hell at a center. Having a turnover of four adults per slot for staff assistants. I would imagine most don't even get the kids names down in the upper classes before they quit. Having multiple staff each day and in different shifts... way too much liability. A center owner is a fool to pledge because the pledge may bite them in the butt if a kid dies. Also, I can see it being a complaint if they don't do it and promised or pledged to mew parents they would...
Actually our schools here have people that call home, the work, the cell phone. They will keep calling till someone is reached.

Our centers here have lead teachers and those have assistants. I'm sure they have some way of taking attendance or knowing if a child should be there or not.

I have 10 children by myself and know their schedules like the back of my hand. If one is late I give it some time and then start texting. 9 times out of 10 parents are running late.
jenboo 11:33 PM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Actually our schools here have people that call home, the work, the cell phone. They will keep calling till someone is reached.

Our centers here have lead teachers and those have assistants. I'm sure they have some way of taking attendance or knowing if a child should be there or not.

I have 10 children by myself and know their schedules like the back of my hand. If one is late I give it some time and then start texting. 9 times out of 10 parents are running late.
What about the centers/home daycares where there aren't contracted hours?? I have some kids that arrive at 8am one day and possibly not until 1130 the next day... That makes it way more confusing, especially if the center has 75+ children.
Tags:carbon dioxide, child vehicular heatstroke, death, heatstroke, overheated children
Reply Up