Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teachers As Clients And Their Summers Off
missmolly 03:03 PM 03-16-2015
I have a parent who is a teacher and will be off for 2 months for summer break. As she was leaving the other day she told me that she would like to keep her child home with her and still bring him 1 day a week. He is currently here only 3 days a week. She said we could talk about it later. I haven't encountered this situation before and I am unsure how to handle it. I really like them and want to keep them. Do I tell them they have to pay the 3 days and risk losing them? Or suffer the loss and only make them pay for the day they are here? Anyone encounter something similar?
Thank you for your help!
AuntTami 03:16 PM 03-16-2015
Originally Posted by missmolly:
I have a parent who is a teacher and will be off for 2 months for summer break. As she was leaving the other day she told me that she would like to keep her child home with her and still bring him 1 day a week. He is currently here only 3 days a week. She said we could talk about it later. I haven't encountered this situation before and I am unsure how to handle it. I really like them and want to keep them. Do I tell them they have to pay the 3 days and risk losing them? Or suffer the loss and only make them pay for the day they are here? Anyone encounter something similar?
Thank you for your help!
My contract states that you pay regardless of attendance. I'm giving my teacher 1/2 rate per week and she's still bringing her kids 1-2 days a week. I'm making the difference up with the over abundance of school agers. But I know some people require full payment for the week regardless.
e.j. 08:37 PM 03-16-2015
I can understand why parents prefer not to pay for a spot they aren't going to use but I can't afford to hold spots open for the summer and not get paid. If a teacher wants me to guarantee the spot will be available in the fall, she/he has to pay for it whether she uses it during the summer or not.
KSDC 07:27 AM 03-17-2015
I charge a holding fee during the summer of about 1/3 of my normal rate for teachers. They don't get to use any days. I fill their spots during the summer with SA. If they want to bring their children in the summer, they pay their normal weekly fee.
If they need a single day here or there, it is treated as a drop-in. No guarantee that I will have the space and they pay the drop-in fee for the day.
grandmom 03:06 PM 03-17-2015
I have four families that are school employees. All pay full time during the summer. They can come (with a schedule) or stay home. I shouldn't get penalized for the days they have off.
Ariana 11:55 AM 03-18-2015
Remember teachers are off but still get paid so you should too!
Blackcat31 12:14 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
This. I refuse to take a financial loss due to some one else's situation.

If they work seasonally that is their issue NOT mine. I work year round and as a business strive to make a decent income year round.

I used to fill my spaces in the summer months too... but stopped taking school agers a long time ago so since that is off the table, I require full rates 50 weeks out of the year or they lose their spot.
spinnymarie 12:20 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I totally don't disagree that you should charge how you see fit, I think it's very reasonable to charge full-time all summer regardless of work schedules.
I just wanted to throw this out there - most teachers do not actually get paid for the summer, their annual salary is based on 9 months of work but can be divided by 12 months instead of 9 to cover the summer if requested.
KarenSue 12:24 PM 03-18-2015
I wish I had all teachers as clients and would take every summer off myself. Right now I have one teacher and will just hold her spot free of charge. I'm in tx and only listed so only keep 3 infants/toddlers at a time. My teacher client also asked to do a drop in here and there this summer and I charge 8/he for that.
Thriftylady 12:41 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by Karen0801:
I wish I had all teachers as clients and would take every summer off myself. Right now I have one teacher and will just hold her spot free of charge. I'm in tx and only listed so only keep 3 infants/toddlers at a time. My teacher client also asked to do a drop in here and there this summer and I charge 8/he for that.
I would LOVE to have teachers and would give up pay to have the summers off to go in the semi with hubby like I did last summer. I am going to miss that this year I know. To bad we can't have it all LOL.
Tags:break, leave, schedule, summer, teachers as clients
Reply Up