Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outdated Professional Development
Controlled Chaos 02:52 PM 10-23-2015
I am taking my first classes with our QRIS (care about childcare) this week and next. Well, last night we talked about marketing, handbooks, contracts and creating our business in general. The teacher has been in the field for 30+ yeas and seems very knowledgeable but very out of date. Her only recommendation for marketing was fliers at the grocery store and the goverment website listening. She said nothing about creating a website, care.com, craigslist, the local craigslist like site that is great... She recommended making parents candy parents every time they pay on time (if you do this I mean no disrespect) but a lot of her suggestions seemed condescending towards the business aspect of it. And the real concerning thing - she recommended putting a baby in a car sear and on the dryer to get them to stop crying. I spoke out at this point, saying I believed it broke at least 2 licensing rules. She replied by saying "just do it to your own kids".

I feel like
1. New providers deserve more up to date information on how to start and run a successful business.
2. Representatives of QRIS should never recommend (especially to people still new to or unaware of the rules) doing something that could get them a citation during an inspection.

I am planning on writing a letter to her superior. I don't want to be a jerk, but I think that class is seriously missing the mark. Its also the class required for the start up grant so almost all providers take it. I just found it concerning. My dh also wants me to offer a teach a "how to make a website" class for them. Thoughts?
daycarediva 03:04 PM 10-23-2015
I was outspoken enough about outmoded continuing education that the local CCR&R started offering some classes that we haven't taken 2062 times.

We even have a curriculum night- there are several of us that go. We bring activities we made to share with other providers, get ideas, etc. It ends up being half curriculum/half support group (LOL) but it's awesome AND they're letting it count towards our hours!
Sunshine74 03:53 PM 10-23-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I was outspoken enough about outmoded continuing education that the local CCR&R started offering some classes that we haven't taken 2062 times.

We even have a curriculum night- there are several of us that go. We bring activities we made to share with other providers, get ideas, etc. It ends up being half curriculum/half support group (LOL) but it's awesome AND they're letting it count towards our hours!
That would be awesome- both if those things. Our local CCR&R offers the same classes over and over, and I feel like I've taken them all. And a curriculum night would be fun!
daycare 04:03 PM 10-23-2015
I honestly think that the people who set the foundation of what they think quality is for these programs have never stepped a foot into a home daycare in thier lives.

I also found that they wanted us to do a lot of things that were in direct violation with licensing. Like leave an open water table available to the kids all day, but licensing says we can never have an open body of water left unattended, which means we dump it and refill the water table every time. I am in NO cali where we are in a massive drought, I am not willing to waste all of that water nor am I willing to do what QRIS wants and end up with a violation.

No thanks.

UGH I hate QRIS, sorry I know that is a strong word, but I really do
Annalee 08:14 PM 10-23-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I honestly think that the people who set the foundation of what they think quality is for these programs have never stepped a foot into a home daycare in thier lives.

I also found that they wanted us to do a lot of things that were in direct violation with licensing. Like leave an open water table available to the kids all day, but licensing says we can never have an open body of water left unattended, which means we dump it and refill the water table every time. I am in NO cali where we are in a massive drought, I am not willing to waste all of that water nor am I willing to do what QRIS wants and end up with a violation.

No thanks.

UGH I hate QRIS, sorry I know that is a strong word, but I really do
I need a stronger word than 'HATE' for QRIS

As for out of date workshops/training....I also feel many providers excelled as they reached for the top and actually made it but after getting to the plateau, providers were left hanging....getting there wasn't that difficult but "maintaining" is hard when providers have to "almost teach" the child care powers that be! I confused myself writing this, so I hope this makes sense....just some thoughts I have had recently about issues posted in this thread.
Josiegirl 04:05 AM 10-24-2015
Wow, sounds like it's definitely time to let someone know her teaching methods and information is wrong wrong wrong and very much lacking!! If everybody is required to take it, that's a lot of confused providers and money wasted, lots of mistakes are going to be made!
And also, I wish they'd have a training on creating your own website locally. I'd love to have one but am too intimidated to even start. That would be an awesome training, go for it!!
Controlled Chaos 07:15 AM 10-25-2015
Thanks for your responses. qRIS is still optional in my state and we can get lots of grant money for participating A I figured "why not" and then once it becomes mandatory I wl be ahead of the game. But I assumed if they are expecting us to go above and beyond as providers that their classes would be up to date, helpful and informative...guess I was off base
Controlled Chaos 07:24 AM 10-26-2015
Also, is there a reason the QRIS toy inventory requires a CD player and physical CDs but gives no credit for a laptop and access to Spotify or Pandora? We listen to music all the time, I make playlists that go with our monthly themes, we dance...but I don't get credit for it since I use my computer. Is this the same in all states?
daycare 08:39 AM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Also, is there a reason the QRIS toy inventory requires a CD player and physical CDs but gives no credit for a laptop and access to Spotify or Pandora? We listen to music all the time, I make playlists that go with our monthly themes, we dance...but I don't get credit for it since I use my computer. Is this the same in all states?
because like you said they are dinosaurs and probably don't even know that is possible.

I have the biggest computer set up and go zero credit for having a computer. When I asked the lady about it, she said oh well I saw it but I didn't know if it worked. REALLY, I wold have that set up and you couldn't even bother to ask me if I could turn it on.

I don't think this lady really knew too much about computers. Don't want to make any assumptions, but based on her age, I am pretty sure she is not of the tech age.
Annalee 08:42 AM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
we have to have physical CDs along with props of music representing math, literacy, multicultural, etc..... I think the assessor has to actually see and count my music materials... I assume the computer is not considered open and accessible for music throughout the day.??? I have been a part of QRIS for many years and I still have trouble understanding what is expected of me.
Annalee 08:43 AM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
because like you said they are dinosaurs and probably don't even know that is possible.

I have the biggest computer set up and go zero credit for having a computer. When I asked the lady about it, she said oh well I saw it but I didn't know if it worked. REALLY, I wold have that set up and you couldn't even bother to ask me if I could turn it on.

I don't think this lady really knew too much about computers. Don't want to make any assumptions, but based on her age, I am pretty sure she is not of the tech age.
Computer is considered the same as a TV with QRIS here so there are time-constraints for use of each.

Sorry, daycare, I misread your post...I think you are taking about your own computer....I originally thought you were talking about the kids computer use.
Cat Herder 01:12 PM 10-26-2015
Be careful writing that letter. It is a very small >>cliquish<< community right now. Swimming with sharks and all that... Those with new found power and no other job opportunities can get very aggressive.
Controlled Chaos 01:24 PM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Be careful writing that letter. It is a very small >>cliquish<< community right now. Swimming with sharks and all that... Those with new found power and no other job opportunities can get very aggressive.
Good advice. Maybe if I word it in a "how can I help" way it won't be as threatening. I don't want to alienate anyone, but I also don't want to just sit by while bad information is distributed to new providers. Kwim? It feels wrong just keeping quiet while we are told to put babies in car seats on dryers
Cat Herder 01:38 PM 10-26-2015
I agree with you. If life were fair and good intentions were respected, I'd say go for it.

The fact is it won't be appreciated. It will make you someones target. By the time they are vetted as approved educators, they have made long term relationships with higher up's in the field.

The only way to make real change is by pursuing education and moving higher up the food chain.

Sadly, by the time you get there, all the rules will have changed. That is their current view from the top as well.

Not trying to be a bummer. It is just a bad set up right now. They recruit retired educators, many have never even done childcare, much less HOME childcare.
Tags:professional development, qris
Reply Up