Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>8 Month Old Regressed On Crawling?
SilverSabre25 04:50 AM 03-15-2011
When she started with me a bit over a month ago, she could roll and scoot all over. Then for about a week, she could crawl just fine. She went from sitting to her tummy but didn't know how to get back to sitting.

Last week, and now so far this morning, it seems like she has forgotten how to crawl. Even if I lay her directly on her tummy she just lays there. If I sit her on the floor, she just sits there. She does not move. She cries and is very frustrated; she's definitely NOT content just laying/sitting there.

Is this normal? For them to go from mobile back to (seemingly) immobile again?
Cat Herder 05:17 AM 03-15-2011
Have you talked to Mom about this?

It could be simple growth plate pain, a normal phase...but it could also be an injury...

I, personally, would document what you see and talk with Mom about it in depth.

This would warrant a check in with the ped to me... but "Mamma don't play" as my DD says...
nannyde 05:44 AM 03-15-2011
any chance they are fingerwalking her at home?
SilverSabre25 06:03 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Have you talked to Mom about this?

It could be simple growth plate pain, a normal phase...but it could also be an injury...

I, personally, would document what you see and talk with Mom about it in depth.

This would warrant a check in with the ped to me... but "Mamma don't play" as my DD says...
I have not brought it up to Mom, as I avoid bringing things up to this parent because she treats me like I know less than nothing about babies and it's really offensive. I try to get her out the door as quickly as possible. I haven't seen any sign of injury, all her limbs work just fine without her crying or seeming in pain. Since it's still going on today, I will probably bite my tongue and talk to her about it at pick-up today though.

Originally Posted by nannyde:
any chance they are fingerwalking her at home?
Yes, I know they do. When they started with me a month ago they mentioned that she just loves to fingerwalk and would do it all day if she could. I never have and never will do that here with her both because I certainly can't bend over to hold her up (there's a baby in the way even sitting here at the computer!), and because of what you mentioned on another thread a few weeks back about fingerwalking being "like the sweet dessert" or somethign to that effect--it makes perfect sense and really stuck with me.

I also have good reason to suspect that she spends a LOT of time up in baby equipment when she's at home. Here, babies who can sit reliably are almost NEVER in baby equipment; they're on the floor playing and wiggling unless they're eating, sleeping, or outside.
Cat Herder 06:06 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I have not brought it up to Mom, as I avoid bringing things up to this parent because she treats me like I know less than nothing about babies and it's really offensive. I try to get her out the door as quickly as possible. I haven't seen any sign of injury, all her limbs work just fine without her crying or seeming in pain. Since it's still going on today, I will probably bite my tongue and talk to her about it at pick-up today though.

Yes, I know they do. When they started with me a month ago they mentioned that she just loves to fingerwalk and would do it all day if she could. I never have and never will do that here with her both because I certainly can't bend over to hold her up (there's a baby in the way even sitting here at the computer!), and because of what you mentioned on another thread a few weeks back about fingerwalking being "like the sweet dessert" or somethign to that effect--it makes perfect sense and really stuck with me.

I also have good reason to suspect that she spends a LOT of time up in baby equipment when she's at home. Here, babies who can sit reliably are almost NEVER in baby equipment; they're on the floor playing and wiggling unless they're eating, sleeping, or outside.
Agh..... Antigravityitis..... I have seen that before.

Nan has the cure to this....
nannyde 06:18 AM 03-15-2011
Yes, I know they do. When they started with me a month ago they mentioned that she just loves to fingerwalk and would do it all day if she could.
suplies
suplies
suplies

There's really not too much you can do. She needs to get bored being stationary and just figure out that moving about is more fun that laying about.
SilverSabre25 04:38 AM 03-18-2011
So, quick update--by the end of the day on Tuesday she had figured out crawling again. Yay!

It's very frustrating though because each morning we have to go through it AGAIN--she sits and cries and refuses to crawl, or gets to her tummy and gets mad because she seems to forget how to direct her crawling and just scoots backwards and gets stuck, or sits and can't figure out how to play with toys because I swear this poor kid gets no solo play time at home.

*sigh*

At least she's crawling...I'm less worried now. Although her still very newborn-sounding cry and newborn-style flailing of limbs when she's upset *do* seem unusual and I'm not sure what to think about those.
nannyde 04:45 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Agh..... Antigravityitis..... I have seen that before.

Nan has the cure to this....
Antigravityitis

The simple solution lies in nature. Use what you have going for you for free.

Floor based play
is meat and potatoes play.

I'm going to start manufacturing t-shirts.
nannyde 04:47 AM 03-18-2011
So, quick update--by the end of the day on Tuesday she had figured out crawling again. Yay!

It's very frustrating though because each morning we have to go through it AGAIN--she sits and cries and refuses to crawl, or gets to her tummy and gets mad because she seems to forget how to direct her crawling and just scoots backwards and gets stuck, or sits and can't figure out how to play with toys because I swear this poor kid gets no solo play time at home.

*sigh*

At least she's crawling...I'm less worried now. Although her still very newborn-sounding cry and newborn-style flailing of limbs when she's upset *do* seem unusual and I'm not sure what to think about those.
She'll get back into the swing of it. It sounds like she just has some transitional fussing when she goes from what she loves at home to what she does at your house.

That time should get smaller and smaller the better she can crawl and pull up.

Just stay out of it as much as you can and let her make friends with gravity.
SilverSabre25 04:52 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Just stay out of it as much as you can and let her make friends with gravity.
Yeah, I do. Once they can sit reliably they get to sit and play pretty much all day unless they're eating or sleeping. Most of them love it...crawling, mouthing things, trying to find invisible bits of fuzz to eat...all that stuff babies love best.

I feel bad 'cause I know she needs this environment, but I am still praying to the daycare gods to find me a replacement client soon because her parents' philosophies and mine just do NOT mesh very well AT ALL (and they treat me like I know nothing about babies).
nannyde 05:02 AM 03-18-2011
Yeah, I do. Once they can sit reliably they get to sit and play pretty much all day unless they're eating or sleeping. Most of them love it...crawling, mouthing things, trying to find invisible bits of fuzz to eat...all that stuff babies love best.

I feel bad 'cause I know she needs this environment, but I am still praying to the daycare gods to find me a replacement client soon because her parents' philosophies and mine just do NOT mesh very well AT ALL (and they treat me like I know nothing about babies).
At this age I like to do rotational grazing play.

They get tuckered pretty quickly (maybe twenty minutes or so) once they learn to crawl so I try to do a mix of floor, the bouncy seat ... with the tray of the seat getting ever lower and lower as they get better on their feet so they can bare more weight on their legs.. then to the stroller for a walk... then floor... then highchair... then bouncy ... then play yard... then bed...

Not exactly in that order but you get the idea. If you do small segments of time and rotate her position they seem to fare better then using any one thing. I don't know what state you are in so I don't know your restraining devices rules.

The hardest is going to be the floor so use that when you want her to get her exercise on.
Tags:crawler, supplies, walking
Reply Up