Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Provider, Need Help!
chouavang 05:50 PM 06-10-2010
Hi,

I just got licensed in MN. I'm staring on on my policies and need some guidance. I don't know where to start.

What do you all do for the deposit and trial policy? Do you charge a deposit fee + the 2 weeks trial? I hear its better to do that to protect you from nsf checks but not sure. How did you make your policy? Can you give examples? Please help, Thank You!
Greenshadow 03:24 AM 06-11-2010
I dont charge a deposit. I used to try to do that but it just wasnt a good choice for me with the current situation of the economy. Parents would leave and never call back. So I just have them sign a contract if they want to start and they are bound by that contract. I do not charge any upfront fees. No trail period fees aside from regular fees. My parents all pay on Mondays prior to the week ahead's care. They do not pay AFTER the care is given otherwise some parents wont come back. I have never had that happen but maybe thats because I do it this way to avoid it. I allow parents to write checks and ALL my parents do. Ive never had a check bounce. Ever. If it does though, they are not allowed to write checks anymore. They have to bring in cash. And the fee for the bounced check is added to their weekly rate. But like I said, Ive never had to do this. I do require that if my parents want to leave, they have to pay for a two week notice. They cant just put in notice and quit.
Lilbutterflie 05:33 AM 06-11-2010
My policy is very similar to Greenshadow. I don't charge a deposit, I don't know of any home daycares around here that do. I make them bring the contract prior to their first day & they are bound by the contract. I also make them pay Monday morning for the week ahead. I have had one NSF check; and it was my sister-in-law to boot! However, she had to pay me in cash from that point forward & she had to pay the fees my bank charged me. The bummer about requiring cash though is she kept getting behind in her payments to me; claiming "This is all the ATM would let me pull out". She still owes me money, but b/c she's family I haven't made it into a huge deal. If this was any other client, I never would've watched the kids unless she paid in full.
Carole's Daycare 07:34 AM 06-11-2010
I charge a $40 registration fee, and they pay up front - on Fridays for the following week (or two weeks for the ones that prefer to pay 2 at a time) I have a 2 week trial period, during which either party can cancel without paying notice. After the 2 weeks they must give notice or pay in lieu of notice. Before they drop off I have to have received the reg fee and at least 1st weeks pay. There is a no pay no stay policy, and if they "forget" or for any reason don't pay by close of business Friday they incur a $5 per day late fee including weekends. Monday they better have the full amount- or they can't drop off. I have a pretty nasty NSF policy too, after getting stuck a few years back. They pay a $50 NSF fee, and any and all costs associated with the bad check- including but not limited to bank fees, late fees or NSF fees for bills I paid out of those funds before it was returned, etc. I just make very clear during interview to NEVER bounce a check- if there really is some emergency they could ask to pay Monday with the late fees, or at least make a partial payment. I haven't had too much difficulty in the last couple years w/ money since I tightened up the contract. I just had to make major changes and enforce fees for late pickup- that was where I've had the biggest trouble.
Carole's Daycare 07:50 AM 06-11-2010
Where in MN? I'm North/Central. Some things are standard and required-A few years ago they required us to have a substance abuse policy and a grievance policy added- makes you wonder who was high and which daycare had a mad mom go psycho at the daycare.... Try to be as thorough as you can up front. I'm really happy w/ my contract & policies now, but its been 9 years in the making ! I separate policies- how I run the daycare- addressing things like naptime, potty training, illness (which I cover in contract also) discipline, toys at daycare, field trips, photo permission, curriculum, and the contract- which is the nitty gritty about money- covering rates, activity fees, late pmt fees, bounced check fees, late pickup policy (mine is $15 for 1st 15 mn or part of 15 mn, and $20 per 15 or part of 15 thgereafter- and must be paid before returning to daycare) I cover my paid holidays as allowed by MDHS rules 10 paid- standard or you are allowed to substitute some, I update annually which 10 I'm taking, vacation, paid/unpaid, absence policy (do you want to be paid for the SPACE, or just attendance?) make sure its clear if you want them to pay whether they show up or not- or if you have a no show/no call fee etc. I include very strong lingo about illnesses, not bringing either sibling when one is ill- and state I exclude according to the MN state exclusion guidelines- which are available from your licensor and a copy should be given to client. Termination/ notice policy, anything else with a financial component. I also have background check policy and my right to terminate without notice in certain specific circumstances( drunk parents using foul language, violence abuse of other children or pets, wanton destructiveness or anything I consider unsafe or detrimental to my family or the other children.) Thats my escape clause in case of a really bad/unpleasant situation. If you want to message me your email I can send you my "packet" with policies, contract, etc. Good Luck
Greenshadow 08:14 AM 06-11-2010
I have a contract that I use. Its very cut and dry. I used to have a long drug out contract with every possible worse case scenario listed but I dont now. Its overwhelming and it scares the parents. Now my contract is about a page and a half. It covers everything it need to without getting so completely involved. I touch on everything important within my contract and go over it verbally with the parent during the interview, adding more in-depth detail at that time. All the legal stuff is in my contract to cover me but without all the jibber jabber. I can do that in person with the parent. If the parent gives me two weeks notice, they can take their child from care without paying me. We're human. Things come up and expected visits from family happen. I understand that and work with that accordingly. Now if they come to me today and want all of next week off, sorry. That paycheck has already been expected and has already been allotted somewhere. Two weeks notice atleast is required. If they want to remove their child from my care, I expect two weeks notice and two weeks of pay during that time. Same goes if I want to remove them from care, except for during times when safety is being compromised. No notice for termination due to safety reasons of the other children, etc.

When you do your contract, think like a provider and a parent. Make sure the important stuff is mentioned and discuss the fill-in, in-depth information verbally during the interview. Less is more. Make sure you have a section for meds, field trips, outside swim/water time, etc, but keep it all brief on your contract. Dont have them sign a million times.
Carole's Daycare 09:44 AM 06-11-2010
Mine is reasonably short-while addressing things I found needed to be in contract to be enforceable. Contract is 1 1/2 pgs, so are policies. I use front & back, so 2 pieces of paper- 2 signatures- 1 each. ( BOTH parents need to sign, though, if you expect to enforce with both- especially important in separated families- the non signer cant be held $ resp for late fees on his pickup days, etc) It's spaced nice- I tried to make it pretty lol. I agree you need to use the interview for any explanations or to give them an opportunity to get clarification on any policies. Asking the potential clients open ended questions that let them express their thoughts regarding some of those subjects helps establish open communication, and gives you an idea if they will be a good fit for your daycare. Many different providers, different styles and approaches- all wonderful in their own way- not every family is a good match. They are interviewing you, but you are also interviewing them- it is YOUR business, and - if you read these forums- you'll see many , many instances of situations that could /should have been addressed in contract and/or during interview. A big friendly smile and positive communication style is a plus. Ultimately, you will decide which things are most important to you at this stage of your business and decide which penalties/fees are most appropriate for your area. Sometimes getting clients when you are new or in need of $ has to take precedent. It is a learning curve, and as you run into situations, or have certain families that maybe do something you hadn't previously addressed you may change it. We all have. If someone is scared by a strictly worded contract- they may be looking for a daycare that they can get away with not following some of those common decent practices without consequences. In 9 years I have had a total of 3 interviews that didnt choose me- 2 were because of my dog, 1 was looking for a much cheaper rate or to get part- time for an infant - which I don't do. They called back after they were dissapointed elsewhere- but I was full. I have had to add things to my policies- like not bringing the sibling of a sick child- which was a particular problem in a couple of my families- who brought the non symptomatic sibling- who was already infected/carrying- and we still all got sick. That was a big deal to me- but someone else might not care. Some providers I know have an issue with charging full rate for kids who bus to outside preschools. Our area has a mentoring program through CCr&*R that is free, where you can get help or discuss various daycare issues.
boysx5 11:14 AM 06-11-2010
I charge a one week deposit when they sign the contract I have had people come for an interview say they want the spot then they don't show up in the meantime I tell others the spot is fill and lost clients that way. I also get paid on MOndays because years ago when I did pay at the end of the week alot would forget their checkbooks so I learned the hard way
chouavang 04:19 PM 07-21-2010
Hi,

Thank you for all your help. I am in Brooklyn Center, MN. Its so hard starting everything and not knowing what to do first. I'm happy that I can find caring providers like you all to help me. My email is chouavang86@hotmail.com You can send me additional information that you think can help.
Thank you so much!

Choua
emosks 05:15 PM 07-21-2010
All of our info is on our website:
http://aplacetogrowchildcare.wordpress.com/

We do charge a deposit. We didn't before and got screwed by a friend (who happens to not be our friend anymore!) so we changed it.
momma2girls 06:14 AM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by boysx5:
I charge a one week deposit when they sign the contract I have had people come for an interview say they want the spot then they don't show up in the meantime I tell others the spot is fill and lost clients that way. I also get paid on MOndays because years ago when I did pay at the end of the week alot would forget their checkbooks so I learned the hard way
I have this same thing in my contract. I have had a few say make sure and hold a spot for me, then end up not coming, but I have held a spot for a month or more for them!!!! UGHHH!!!!!
missnikki 06:48 AM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
I have a contract that I use. Its very cut and dry. I used to have a long drug out contract with every possible worse case scenario listed but I dont now. Its overwhelming and it scares the parents. Now my contract is about a page and a half. It covers everything it need to without getting so completely involved. I touch on everything important within my contract and go over it verbally with the parent during the interview, adding more in-depth detail at that time. All the legal stuff is in my contract to cover me but without all the jibber jabber. I can do that in person with the parent. ".....
...."When you do your contract, think like a provider and a parent. Make sure the important stuff is mentioned and discuss the fill-in, in-depth information verbally during the interview. Less is more. Make sure you have a section for meds, field trips, outside swim/water time, etc, but keep it all brief on your contract. Dont have them sign a million times.
I'm sorry, but the more you have in writing, the better off you are. Then months down the road when something is in question, YOU might be the only one who understands your 'less is more' contract. I spell it out. I keep a list throughout the year for things that come up. I add to it. I have exeryone re-sign annually. My policy handbook is just that- a book(let). 14 pages front and back. I cannot tell you how many times I've pulled my copy out and said "Well, let's see- it says right here that ________, so unfortunately I can't give you a refund for sick days or whatever.
It is intended to answer questions for those parents who can't take NO for an answer or for those parents that tend to try to take advantage at every turn.
lolliepopdaycare 07:02 AM 07-22-2010
I can not figure out out to start a post? New to the site....learning so much here by reading all the post. Wanted to say hi to indiana members, but can figure out how to do anything but post to a thread already started?! Feeling like the dull crayon in the box!
momofsix 01:50 PM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by lolliepopdaycare:
I can not figure out out to start a post? New to the site....learning so much here by reading all the post. Wanted to say hi to indiana members, but can figure out how to do anything but post to a thread already started?! Feeling like the dull crayon in the box!
When you're on the page that lists all the threads, on the top left you will see a box that says "new thread" Just click on this and you should be good!
Welcome to the sight!
Tags:deposit, policies
Reply Up