Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Home Daycare Licensing and Registered Sex Offenders
quilts4uandme 08:58 AM 09-25-2011
My neighbor wants to open a licensed home daycare, however, many of us are concerned because of a registered sex offender that lives one block over. Are there any regulations about this?
Zoe 09:32 AM 09-25-2011
I was in the licensing process when a registered sex offender was released from prison (he was level 3 so it was scary) and moved three blocks away from me. So I called my licensor to see if this affected my license. She told me that it has no bearing on whether or not you get a license. It's just something you should, out of courtesy, inform potential clients about and inform them of your plan to keep the kids safe. For example, I have a privacy fence so no one can see the kids. I don't let any school-agers leave my property unsupervised. Thankfully the guy moved away before I got my license I didn't have to deal with it, but I was prepared.
Sugar Magnolia 09:40 AM 09-25-2011
I'm thinking your local police department has a website that lists the regulations and requirements for sex offenders. I would contact them. Are you and your neighbors opposed to the home daycare opening because you fear for the safety of the children? Or are you happy that a home daycare is opening because laws may require the sex offender to move? Just curious.
jen 11:37 AM 09-25-2011
Originally Posted by quilts4uandme:
My neighbor wants to open a licensed home daycare, however, many of us are concerned because of a registered sex offender that lives one block over. Are there any regulations about this?
Not to be rude, but why is this your (and others) concern? If she is opening a licensed daycare, licensing will address any concerns regarding nearby sex offenders.
sharlan 04:09 PM 09-25-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Not to be rude, but why is this your (and others) concern? If she is opening a licensed daycare, licensing will address any concerns regarding nearby sex offenders.
My thoughts exactly.
wdmmom 09:38 AM 09-26-2011
Iowa used to have a law that stated sex offenders couldn't live 2000 feet from a school or a daycare. They have since revised the law to 500 feet because meeting the 2000 feet regulation was very difficult to comply with.

In Iowa we can go to www.iowasexoffenderregistry.com and type in your address to see who may be on the registry that lives near you.

Regardless of whether someone lives within 500 feet of you, it shouldn't have any bearing of you doing daycare as they are grandfathered in when it comes to new businesses.
quilts4uandme 10:30 AM 09-26-2011
Thanks for your comments. I have to admit I'm a bit surprised at the defensiveness from a few.

It becomes our concern when the person starting up a home daycare business cannot articulate what the licensing/regulations require, nor does she plan to tell prospective parents (her words, not mine). She initially tried to cover up some dangers in the backyard, so everyone attending the zoning hearing is a bit skeptical now. One would think it would be a good relations to have the neighbors be concerned and looking out for each other. In no way was it implied that we are against it.
Unregistered 02:47 PM 09-26-2011
I live next door to a registered sex offender in IL. He lived there prior to my opening the day care. I bought new construction and he moved in after I closed on my house, so I had no knowledge of him or his status. The state had him move out of his house due to my licensed day care. The, loophole however is the law doesn't stop him from visiting anytime, even during day care hours?? Screwed up, right? I am very upfront with clients, and even feel I've lost some business due to him living there. I will NEVER not tell someone as long as he's around. It's not the law that I tell anyone though, it's a morals thing. At least I know to look out for him and I take the necessary precautions to keep my all kids safe. They know he's a 'meanie' and the kids are NEVER alone. (1 goes potty, we all go in) I live in a cul-de-sac, and my neighbors all have their eyes out. IL states he's not allowed to live within 500 feet of a daycare/school/public park. There are a LOT of loop holes, grandfathered laws & exceptions that are in the sex offenders favor. The laws are not defined well, unfortunately nothing will probably change until someone is hurt by the hand of one of these guys.
Unregistered 03:35 PM 08-11-2016
Listen people,...I am a registered sex offender on Chicago. What makes you people think that starting a daycare next to or around a home of a registered sex offender who was there first is cool,- when you are knowingly disadvantaging him by forcing him to move so that YOU can make more money by having a home day care ( because you save overhead expenditures by not having to lease a space?). It's all about those individuals and their greed and spite towards a sex offender who may not be bothering anyone and who is compliance with state law. At the end of the day, it's all about YOU and you making money,- despite the harm you can bring to another human being. Sex offenders victimize others because of selfishness,- this person who intentionally started a day care despite her knowing a sex offender ( who was there prior to her even "thinking"!about moving there), still pursued her home day care for her own material gain and knowing it would dispossess him

IS JUST AS SELFISH. When you cause someone else harm,- ( either directly or as in this case indirectly) you're in the same basket.
Unregistered 04:15 PM 08-11-2016
Um?

No.
Michael 04:30 PM 08-11-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Listen people,...I am a registered sex offender on Chicago. What makes you people think that starting a daycare next to or around a home of a registered sex offender who was there first is cool,- when you are knowingly disadvantaging him by forcing him to move so that YOU can make more money by having a home day care ( because you save overhead expenditures by not having to lease a space?). It's all about those individuals and their greed and spite towards a sex offender who may not be bothering anyone and who is compliance with state law. At the end of the day, it's all about YOU and you making money,- despite the harm you can bring to another human being. Sex offenders victimize others because of selfishness,- this person who intentionally started a day care despite her knowing a sex offender ( who was there prior to her even "thinking"!about moving there), still pursued her home day care for her own material gain and knowing it would dispossess him

IS JUST AS SELFISH. When you cause someone else harm,- ( either directly or as in this case indirectly) you're in the same basket.
I believe the argument falls if favor of those that are growing their families and neighborhoods. I know there are differing levels of offenders, that vastly differ in their crimes, but I feel it is the offender's obligation to sacrifice for their past deeds even though they have paid the price of going to jail and serving their time. The local law probably would make a past sex offender move if a daycare opened in the area. It doesn't matter who was there first.

Its a tough topic for both sides I'm sure.
Blackcat31 04:41 PM 08-11-2016
Originally Posted by Michael:
I believe the argument falls if favor of those that are growing their families and neighborhoods. I know there are differing levels of offenders, that vastly differ in their crimes, but I feel it is the offender's obligation to sacrifice for their past deeds even though they have paid the price of going to jail and serving their time. The local law probably would make a past sex offender move if a daycare opened in the area. It doesn't matter who was there first.

Its a tough topic for both sides I'm sure.

Paying your debt to society is one thing (which I respect) but having to live with the "baggage" and unfairness of a bad choice forever is kind of a natural consequence in my opinion.
Sucks in some cases but free will comes with responsibilities and liabilities.
CalCare 04:44 PM 08-11-2016
I'm kinda wondering what led you to this post? Probably some social construct I'm offending by saying that- sorry. But, wondering...
Chickadee-Tree 05:00 PM 08-13-2016
Do you know for certain what crime(s) this individual was convicted of? If not, there is a very good chance he did not victimize a child at all.

The average registered sex offender is someone who did something inappropriate as a teen, such as exchange nude photos with a girlfriend, have sex with another underage teen, or pull a disgusting prank involving nudity/indecent exposure.

http://www.freerangekids.com/what-is...nder-surprise/

Other sex offenders did awful things to adult women, or men. I in no way think that is okay, and absolutely I think they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law...but if one of those offenders lives on my street, I'd rather know upfront that they didn't victimize a child, and that I can probably allow my child to walk to school.

Unfortunately the registry is doing more harm than good at this point, and not just harm to the "offenders" who had sex when they were 14. Parents get worried when they see dots on a map close to home, and then kids are stuck inside, not able to ride bikes or even walk to school... The system needs some work before we can rely on it to effectively protect children.
LysesKids 06:52 PM 08-13-2016
Originally Posted by Chickadee-Tree:
Do you know for certain what crime(s) this individual was convicted of? If not, there is a very good chance he did not victimize a child at all.

The average registered sex offender is someone who did something inappropriate as a teen, such as exchange nude photos with a girlfriend, have sex with another underage teen, or pull a disgusting prank involving nudity/indecent exposure.

Other sex offenders did awful things to adult women, or men. I in no way think that is okay, and absolutely I think they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law...but if one of those offenders lives on my street, I'd rather know upfront that they didn't victimize a child, and that I can probably allow my child to walk to school.

Unfortunately the registry is doing more harm than good at this point, and not just harm to the "offenders" who had sex when they were 14. Parents get worried when they see dots on a map close to home, and then kids are stuck inside, not able to ride bikes or even walk to school... The system needs some work before we can rely on it to effectively protect children.
OK, no offense but under TN law, the pedophile that lives less than 1000 feet from me (and served 5 years - PROVEN) no longer has to register under state law (offense was before 2006), however I was here first & somehow the management co let him slip thru the cracks and rent a house near me less than 6 months ago (I live in a manufactured home community)... he still gets monthly visits from the sheriff and still has no license

Not all offenders are teens or go after adults, so in my case I do have a reason to worry. And yes, I worked in the legal field before doing childcare... it's legal to find out the offense in the states if you know how, you just have to know how to research it
LysesKids 07:53 PM 08-13-2016

BTW, here in the USA many states do classify the worst offenders because of what they did; and yes, states will list it as a minor under 10 or 14 or whatever. If you are a class 3 sex offender that has to register for life in MD then heaven forbid; I know my sister dated a guy in WV, that had to register in MD because of a sexual assault to a minor in WV, but he worked in Cumberland MD - it's called doing your homework & finding the actual facts. She dumped him
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 08-14-2016

I have never received notification of a registered sex offender that commotted a crime as a minor (under 18) as that is usually confidential info (unless the offender is considered highly likely to reoffend).

The notifications I receive from my sheriff's department are for adults only and all describe the offenders crime so we know exactly what the offense was.

Also, I love and agree with the free range kids concept but I certainly wouldnt use the blog as supporting evidence for statistics on sex offenders.

I disagree that the sex offender registry does more harm than good. There are definitely some wonky situations where I've heard of someone having to register for some silly over blown situation but I believe that is a very small fraction of the registry.
Chickadee-Tree 12:56 PM 08-14-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have never received notification of a registered sex offender that commotted a crime as a minor (under 18) as that is usually confidential info (unless the offender is considered highly likely to reoffend).

The notifications I receive from my sheriff's department are for adults only and all describe the offenders crime so we know exactly what the offense was.

Also, I love and agree with the free range kids concept but I certainly wouldnt use the blog as supporting evidence for statistics on sex offenders.

I disagree that the sex offender registry does more harm than good. There are definitely some wonky situations where I've heard of someone having to register for some silly over blown situation but I believe that is a very small fraction of the registry.
I'm really glad to hear that you're given the more detailed info... I'm sure like many things, some states have great systems and others not so much.

You're right, I should have given the link to the full article, not just the blog post that links to it.. http://nypost.com/2016/07/25/bogus-s...ruining-lives/

Free Range Kids is a great source for crime statistics, especially crimes against children...every stat has a source cited, and usually a link to it as well
http://www.freerangekids.com/crime-statistics/

I'm not involved in statistics research or anything like that, so I can't say whether it does more "harm than good", though that is more of a figure of speech than a statement of fact. It would be impossible to measure, as it's very subjective, and it's always changing-- I used that phrase because I read it in articles talking about reports like these, this one is from Human Rights Watch: https://www.hrw.org/news/2007/09/11/...more-harm-good
LysesKids 01:53 PM 08-14-2016
I'm really glad to hear that you're given the more detailed info... I'm sure like many things, some states have great systems and others not so much.

You're right, I should have given the link to the full article, not just the blog post that links to it.. http://nypost.com/2016/07/25/bogus-s...ruining-lives/

Free Range Kids is a great source for crime statistics, especially crimes against children...every stat has a source cited, and usually a link to it as well
http://www.freerangekids.com/crime-statistics/

I'm not involved in statistics research or anything like that, so I can't say whether it does more "harm than good", though that is more of a figure of speech than a statement of fact. It would be impossible to measure, as it's very subjective, and it's always changing-- I used that phrase because I read it in articles talking about reports like these, this one is from Human Rights Watch: https://www.hrw.org/news/2007/09/11/...more-harm-good
Can I ask why you posted some of the links you did if you don't know if it does more harm than good... considering you aren't even from the states, it looks like you are trying to stir the pot in my eyes; I know first hand what a stalker & rapist can do (I was a victim as an adult & my kids were in the house when the rape occurred)... I also know what a pedophile can do & know 2 personally - they both look like people you would never believe could harm someone (neither comes near me or my kids much less my daycare)... they live up north in MD

One was a high school friend who actually went after my sister when we were dating... later on he was convicted of sexual abuse of a minor when he was an adult; his own stepdaughter, so yeah, sometimes youth offenders can be adult offenders too, I'm just glad he was caught 2nd time around because nobody believed me & my sis in high school. The 3rd pedophile I know of I keep watch over because he is only 3 houses from me & that was a fluke that he slipped thru the cracks
daycarediva 09:25 AM 08-15-2016
You do realize that the REGISTERED sex offenders are far less dangerous than the countless others that have yet to be caught, right?

We have DOZENS in our area. I have their photos and addresses, with a list of offenses mailed to me by the police department. The neighbor that stops and chats while you are with the kids, the mailman that waves to them, the daycare dad that stays and plays every day. ALL potential offenders.

My job is to not take my eyes off of my kids, and that is the best protection that they can have.
Mike 09:41 AM 08-15-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
You do realize that the REGISTERED sex offenders are far less dangerous than the countless others that have yet to be caught, right?

We have DOZENS in our area. I have their photos and addresses, with a list of offenses mailed to me by the police department. The neighbor that stops and chats while you are with the kids, the mailman that waves to them, the daycare dad that stays and plays every day. ALL potential offenders.

My job is to not take my eyes off of my kids, and that is the best protection that they can have.

Very true. Only a small percentage of sex offenders ever get caught, and it could be anyone. We have to keep an eye on children if we want them to be safe.
Chickadee-Tree 07:59 PM 08-15-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Can I ask why you posted some of the links you did if you don't know if it does more harm than good... considering you aren't even from the states, it looks like you are trying to stir the pot in my eyes; I know first hand what a stalker & rapist can do (I was a victim as an adult & my kids were in the house when the rape occurred)... I also know what a pedophile can do & know 2 personally - they both look like people you would never believe could harm someone (neither comes near me or my kids much less my daycare)... they live up north in MD

One was a high school friend who actually went after my sister when we were dating... later on he was convicted of sexual abuse of a minor when he was an adult; his own stepdaughter, so yeah, sometimes youth offenders can be adult offenders too, I'm just glad he was caught 2nd time around because nobody believed me & my sis in high school. The 3rd pedophile I know of I keep watch over because he is only 3 houses from me & that was a fluke that he slipped thru the cracks
I'm so sorry to hear about all those terrible things, that is truly awful. I am not trying to defend actual sex offenders, or pedophiles. IMHO, they get off way too easily.

I promise you, I am not trying "stir the pot". I'm just trying to do my part to shed a little bit of light onto an important issue that gets very little attention.
I was only trying to bring up the issue that this VERY serious Registry is being misused, and bloated needlessly, and wasting your tax dollars.
People are on there who were caught having sex with their wife on a public beach.
Children are being registered on it, for gross pranks where they pulled their pants down and put their butt in a girl's face. Disgusting? Absolutely! Punishable? Absolutely! Registered Sex Offender FOR LIFE?!?! No.
Imagine if your son was taken to a foster home, because he pulled a disgusting prank involving nudity, and now is a Sex Offender, therefore he cannot live in the same house with his younger siblings? Because it happens.

No, I'm not in the US--but my parents, my sister, and two brothers are. I lived there as a child, and I have many friends in the States.
But even if I didn't, my heart goes out to those who are on the Sex Offender Registry needlessly. Their lives are effectively ruined, as well as their kids' lives, and others around them. When I see statistics that the average age of a registered offender is 14, my heart goes out to those 14-year-old children. Some of them deserve and need to be registered, for sure!! But the majority? Somehow I don't think there has been an epidemic of 14-year-old rapists committing atrocious crimes, that we all just sort of didn't notice.
I just wish they could reserve the Registry for those who committed REAL sex crimes, that's all.
And when Human Rights Watch publishes reports about this issue, I'm pretty sure that it's not just a very small portion of the registry that is on there needlessly.

I'm sorry, I get passionate about stuff like this. ANY kind of injustice, really. I'll get just as heated talking about the horrible campus rape problem at colleges and universities-- at least I think we would agree on that issue!
I truly didn't mean to offend you, I'm a big believer in supporting survivors, and prosecuting attackers/rapists to the fullest extent of the law. I want THEM on the Registry, each and every one.
LysesKids 08:17 PM 08-15-2016
I'm so sorry to hear about all those terrible things, that is truly awful. I am not trying to defend actual sex offenders, or pedophiles. IMHO, they get off way too easily.

I promise you, I am not trying "stir the pot". I'm just trying to do my part to shed a little bit of light onto an important issue that gets very little attention.
I was only trying to bring up the issue that this VERY serious Registry is being misused, and bloated needlessly, and wasting your tax dollars.
People are on there who were caught having sex with their wife on a public beach.
Children are being registered on it, for gross pranks where they pulled their pants down and put their butt in a girl's face. Disgusting? Absolutely! Punishable? Absolutely! Registered Sex Offender FOR LIFE?!?! No.
Imagine if your son was taken to a foster home, because he pulled a disgusting prank involving nudity, and now is a Sex Offender, therefore he cannot live in the same house with his younger siblings? Because it happens.

No, I'm not in the US--but my parents, my sister, and two brothers are. I lived there as a child, and I have many friends in the States.
But even if I didn't, my heart goes out to those who are on the Sex Offender Registry needlessly. Their lives are effectively ruined, as well as their kids' lives, and others around them. When I see statistics that the average age of a registered offender is 14, my heart goes out to those 14-year-old children. Some of them deserve and need to be registered, for sure!! But the majority? Somehow I don't think there has been an epidemic of 14-year-old rapists committing atrocious crimes, that we all just sort of didn't notice.
I just wish they could reserve the Registry for those who committed REAL sex crimes, that's all.
And when Human Rights Watch publishes reports about this issue, I'm pretty sure that it's not just a very small portion of the registry that is on there needlessly.

I'm sorry, I get passionate about stuff like this. ANY kind of injustice, really. I'll get just as heated talking about the horrible campus rape problem at colleges and universities-- at least I think we would agree on that issue!
I truly didn't mean to offend you, I'm a big believer in supporting survivors, and prosecuting attackers/rapists to the fullest extent of the law. I want THEM on the Registry, each and every one.
I am passionate about keeping true offenders listed; in the USA minors that haven't done violent offenses are not listed as adults & yes in my case, the one didn't get caught as a minor was caught as an adult... the fact is, and as was said, there are many more offenders that aren't on the registry that haven't been caught.

We all have to keep an eye out for the perverts that haven't been caught AND AGAIN, I still don't understand why you are pressing this issue when it doesn't save anyone from the 1000's of predators that aren't caught. Because of my prior career and history, I may be more in tune to spotting a predator, but there are many people you wouldn't expect to do what they do...

As a childcare provider that takes in traumatized kids, my interest is watching out for any unusual stuff that can harm a child... that includes abusive parents, not just sexual predators, so I'm ready to step off the soap box... I'll do my best to protect who I need to regardless of reason
SAarons 07:15 AM 08-30-2016
The registered ones are dangerous but it is the unregistered you really have to worry about.
There is a pair of them that live in the apartment block near anobspbow and it is disgusting what they get up to in the park near by. And there is an obvious reason why they have an apartment near the school.
They have been reported by the police a few times, always kids around 10. What is worse is that one of them is an uncle, and he has trapped his sister in a relationship with the other guy.
And you guessed it she has a 10 year old. Its incredible what sickos will do.
I got a text message about this last night, there are forum posts where one of them is bragging that you wont catch him and what he does in his apartment is his own choice.

Here are the details I got in the text message, so please be aware.
Blackcat31 07:28 AM 08-30-2016
Originally Posted by SAarons:
The registered ones are dangerous but it is the unregistered you really have to worry about.
There is a pair of them that live in the apartment block near anobspbow and it is disgusting what they get up to in the park near by. And there is an obvious reason why they have an apartment near the school.
They have been reported by the police a few times, always kids around 10. What is worse is that one of them is an uncle, and he has trapped his sister in a relationship with the other guy.
And you guessed it she has a 10 year old. Its incredible what sickos will do.
I got a text message about this last night, there are forum posts where one of them is bragging that you wont catch him and what he does in his apartment is his own choice.

Here are the details I got in the text message, so please be aware.
DO NOT post identifying info on the forum.
SAarons 07:40 AM 08-30-2016
Im sorry, As a mother of three I am horrified by it. I hope and pray to God that no one gets hurt by these two.

How much info do you want?
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 08-30-2016
Originally Posted by SAarons:
Im sorry, As a mother of three I am horrified by it. I hope and pray to God that no one gets hurt by these two.

How much info do you want?
This is not a forum for posting that type of info so no info is required.

As child care providers we receive need to know information directly from law enforcement agencies in our areas.

Posting info on a public forum as a regular citizen (even a concerned parent) is not acceptable.

Let law enforcement handle tracking those that need to be tracked and as a parent do your due diligence and keep your children safe.
Unregistered 10:01 AM 08-30-2016

Am I the only one freaked about about someone on a sex offenders list on a day care forum?
Mariahsaint 10:15 AM 08-30-2016
Am I the only one freaked about about someone on a sex offenders list on a day care forum?
Yes.

Chances are they were a one time visitor. Something they searched regarding the topic on google brought this thread up.

Ignoring the fact that there is not proof that he/she is a pedophile, they wouldn't be able to do anything anyway. No one's identity or address is listed.
LostMyMarbles 04:24 AM 08-31-2016
I can appreciate your concern. It's a scary world now a days. I don't feel that I would change my life plans that may affect someone else, who didn't care about others to begin with. I would open my day care and report my neighbor. This is MY opinion. I should not have to change anything about my life because of someone else's mistakes. Did he pay for his mistake, sure if he went to prison. Wil he prey or obsess over the children next door, I don't know. I feel we all need to protect our children. We do child care because of our love for kids! Trust YOUR gut!
Tags:safety issues, security, sex offender
Reply Up